Family Finder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder?

I have recently ordered the Y-DNA37 test for my brother. I also recently transferred my Ancestry DNA results here to Family Tree DNA for the Family Finder. Is there any benefit of ordering the Family Finder for my brother's results? Thanks in advance for all opinions.
    Happy Holidays,
    Faith

I have recently ordered the Y-DNA37 test for my brother. I also recently transferred my Ancestry DNA results here to Family Tree DNA for the Family Finder. Is there any benefit of ordering the Family Finder for my brother's results? Thanks in advance for all opinions.
    Yes, if you test your brother with Family Finder, then you can compare his results to yours using the Chromosome Browser. You'll see areas where you are the same, but also differ, in the segments you each inherited from both your parents (assuming he is your full brother, not half). He may get FF matches that you won't, and vice versa.

Soon, FTDNA says they will provide matching on the X chromosome (under Advanced Matching in FF). Your brother received one X from his mother, unrecombined. You received two, which recombined. That may be helpful in figuring out where other matches to either of you fit on your family tree.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      Soon, FTDNA says they will provide matching on the X chromosome (under Advanced Matching in FF). Your brother received one X from his mother, unrecombined. You received two, which recombined. That may be helpful in figuring out where other matches to either of you fit on your family tree.
      I've bolded your statements above which are incorrect.

A woman has two x chromosomes, one from each of her parents. She passes one x to both sons and daughters; the daughters receive a second x from the father. (You seem to be saying that both the x's in a daughter come from the mother.) The x she passes on, whether to a son or daughter, can be one of three possibilities.

The most likely case is that she will pass on the x which will be a recombined version of her parents' x's that she received. Also, less likely, but possible, is that she will pass on an unrecombined x from either her mother or father.

Comment

Thanks MMaddi, for the correction. I misstated what I was trying to say.

Comment

Working...
        X