Question about GEDMatch Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about GEDMatch Results

Hi! I have a question and I hope it makes sense! I have a person that is roughly my age that only matches me on GEDMatch. It's also a match for my mother an my great-aunt (my mother's aunt). The matches are:

Me-7.1 generations
    My mom-7.4 generations
    My great-aunt-6.7 generations

How can that be? Perhaps I don't understand the estimated generations as well as I thought I did. Or rather, I don't understand how I could be more related to this person than my mom.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Scampikins View Post
    Hi! I have a question and I hope it makes sense! I have a person that is roughly my age that only matches me on GEDMatch. It's also a match for my mother an my great-aunt (my mother's aunt). The matches are:

Me-7.1 generations
    My mom-7.4 generations
    My great-aunt-6.7 generations

How can that be? Perhaps I don't understand the estimated generations as well as I thought I did. Or rather, I don't understand how I could be more related to this person than my mom.

Thanks!
    The generational matches are an estimate based on statistical measurements of how well you match (approximately) as you can tell by the .4 part of the generation

It might be that there's a relationship on your dad's side as well with this person, but a long way back that's giving you a touch more matched DNA.

It might be that the algorithm for matching goes a bit funny on the precise match your mum has and throws back a slightly longer generational estimate that it should, or more likely, it does the opposite for you, shortening your estimate.

At that range, I wouldn't place too much faith in the precision of the estimate....

Comment

Generations

at that distance the error in the generations estimate is minus 2 and plus 7
      so it is all within that range of 5 to 14 generations

You should use the gedmatch.com phasing tool and then use that data
      for your matches.
      see
      http://ww2.gedmatch.com:8006/autosomal/phase1.php

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X