population finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mixedkid View Post
    Keep open the possibility of Native American blood. I try not to be too negative in these forums but I can tell you this: Results from the current edition of PopulationFinder are essentially bogus. One thing FTDNA is not doing: It's not telling you what these very small indicators of ancestry are -- it's sticking to the large percentages. Most Americans and Canadians know they are not a large percentage Native American; mostly what they want is some indication that it exist or does not exist in their gene records.

About German ancestry: GEDmatch was the first time I ever saw any indication through DNA testing that my family had some German ancestry. I believe the term Celto Germanic was used with one tool's results. Be sure to use chromosome paintings on that site.
    I used the admix tools and ran several of the eurogene tests, plus the chromosome admix but have not tried the chromosome Painting yet ,have more to try, and understand, ya right !? most of it goes right over me head

Comment

Originally posted by B52 View Post
      If you are fortunate and have or had a paper trail research in your family tree then I would match this diversity liguistically with the names in your family tree for further validation.

If that liguistic diversity is not present in the names of your family tree and it says strictly northern European or strictly Mediterrean then you could say that those results to mean your family has an origin that is more recently centered in southern or southeastern Europe and with a more recent and higher contribution of folk from South Asia and the Middle East than is typical in northern Europe but that contribution was made before people had surnames with is less than a 1000 years now anyway. Given that, it is possible they migrated to northern Europe before surnames but those percentages are less common. Or north to south, vice versa as that often occured as well.

With adoption what is the typical ethnic diversity of the location adopted from?

The Siberian + Norh Amerindian together is 1.59% is typical of someone with a 'fairy tale' native american branch from about 200 to 300 years ago in eastern North America. Are you going to find a paper trail? Of course not. Can any layperson that doesn't agree with the science used to obtain this result prove there is no 'native american' ancestry in your husband's tree? Of course not.
      Thanks B52...Today I tried the Gedmatch admix eurogenes K12b which I think its closer to reality based on my husbands family tree+ his surnames, it shows no amerindian but shows more asian which still could be an indicator (I'm told) of possible native Amer blood , maybe? I'll post below

Population
      Western European 45.20%
      Siberian 1.01%
      East African -
      West Central Asian 4.28%
      South Asian -
      West African -
      Caucasus 3.75%
      Finnish 8.24%
      Mediterranean 15.04%
      Southwest Asian -
      North European 22.48%
      East Asian -

Comment

You know better based on you husband's family tree whether the Siberian could have come via Europe or was it after arrival in America?

In case you don't know Native Americans are most closely related to Siberians because of the Bering Strait land bridge and the Siberian people living in the area were naturally the most likely to use that bridge.

Comment

You know better based on you husband's family tree whether the Siberian could have come via Europe or was it after arrival in America?

In case you don't know Native Americans are most closely related to Siberians because of the Bering Strait land bridge and the Siberian people living in the area were naturally the most likely to use that bridge.
          B52, Yes you are right ,I had forgotten that, but have no idea about the era of the Siberian link must have been originally from Europe,his surnames are mostly English/some German and possibly Irish, Roach is supposed to be either Irish or English...but we can only document back to a man b:1740-d:1792 NC on that line,that is where the Cherokee rumor is from

Comment

Originally posted by slwr View Post
            B52, Yes you are right ,I had forgotten that, but have no idea about the era of the Siberian link must have been originally from Europe,his surnames are mostly English/some German and possibly Irish, Roach is supposed to be either Irish or English...but we can only document back to a man b:1740-d:1792 NC on that line,that is where the Cherokee rumor is from
            No, it's unlikely the Siberian link is from Europe. It's much more likely to be from Native Americans. Especially if branches of his family were already in eastern North America 200 to 300 years ago. You mention Roach as one line that was in North America and North Caroline where the Cherokee were.

When the say Siberian in these results the almost always mean northeastern Siberian and not northwestern Siberian.

They should have a map for you that indicates the geographic range of the people they are calling Siberian.

Comment

No, it's unlikely the Siberian link is from Europe. It's much more likely to be from Native Americans. Especially if branches of his family were already in eastern North America 200 to 300 years ago. You mention Roach as one line that was in North America and North Caroline where the Cherokee were.

When the say Siberian in these results the almost always mean northeastern Siberian and not northwestern Siberian.

They should have a map for you that indicates the geographic range of the people they are calling Siberian.
              Thanks B52,
              Yes the Roach Ancestor we can't document any further back was born about 1740 prob VA. died 1792 in NC. we have no documentation on what his wife's maiden name or ethnic group was ...one of their son's md: a McDaniel they moved to Smokey Mts of TN in the spring of 1819, what I meant to say is: the "Roach line" in TN & NC is where the rumor started, there were Roach's and McDaniel's that did marry into Cherokee lines....but have not been able to connect directly to those lines...if there is indeed Indian Blood, it may not be Cherokee, me thinks

Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by slwr View Post
                Thanks B52,
                Yes the Roach Ancestor we can't document any further back was born about 1740 prob VA. died 1792 in NC. we have no documentation on what his wife's maiden name or ethnic group was ...one of their son's md: a McDaniel they moved to Smokey Mts of TN in the spring of 1819, what I meant to say is: the "Roach line" in TN & NC is where the rumor started, there were Roach's and McDaniel's that did marry into Cherokee lines....but have not been able to connect directly to those lines...if there is indeed Indian Blood, it may not be Cherokee, me thinks

Thanks...
                You can ask for a professional geneticist's opinion directly whether or not the north amerindian and siberian in those test means your husband has Indian blood. I'm just a lay person hobbyist. I think I would because all these differing web sites giving quite differing results is making me about leary about the state of autosomal research.

The Y and mitocondrial research I have alot more confidence in, particularly from FTDNA.

I'm just using common sense of historical fact, geography, and this 'rumour' in your husband's family that has persisted, what, 200 or 300 years now?

It's so unlikely you're going to find documents that just save yourself the research for those documents and accept the rumour. Well, I'd do a new search, maybe 4 - 8 hours, every year or two because new documents come on line daily (they're still not likely to exist though).

Other than that, wait for further refinements in autosomal testing or, and you may have done this already, have your husband's mitocondrial haplotype tested. If native American it will be haplogroup A, B, C, D, or X.

I understand your interest in trying to trace back to the 'full-blooded' Native American just like we want to trace back to the person in England, Ireland, or whatever country a branch might have originated in that came to America.
                Last edited by B52; 27 June 2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I have Eurogenes K9 giving me 1.16% West African (East African not included in K9 populations). Eurogenes K12b gives 0% West African and 2.09% East African. Why the discrepancy?

And a second question, if PopulationFinder gives me 65% Spanish/French, yet most of my 208 FF matches are obviously of British ancestry, does it mean most of these matches also test "Spanish/French", or should I think that I have more recent Spanish/French ancestry? With 65% it must mean I'm getting it from both maternal and paternal sides. Being adopted I have no clues. Could one parent have been 100% Spanish or French, say, a tourist that came from France and would not have relatives showing up in my matches?

It would be helpful to know the contemporary geographic distribution and known ancestry of participants who have a large "Spanish/French" ethnic component. I may be trying to read too much into it.

Comment

Additional thoughts on my post above. I wonder if my known British heritage, mixed with the small amount of African, is why PopulationFinder gives me 65% Spanish/French even though I don't seem to have any Spanish at all. It estimates that my Western European ancestors must have come from someplace closer to Africa than Britain, so why not Spain. Except any African genes filtering down to me came from the US, not Spain.

Is it literally like mixing ice cream flavors? So if you have mostly vanilla, with a trace of chocolate, they call it beige so say your ancestors are Spanish? This is not very sophisticated.

Comment

Working...
                    X