Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jewish Ancestry, Only 32 FF matches...What Gives??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish Ancestry, Only 32 FF matches...What Gives??

So just about every admixture analysis done on my data points to Jewish ancestry, and yet I only have 32 matches on FF. I have a lot more on Gedmatch but very little here. I don't get it. Any suggestions? Could it be due to the fact of recombination of my parent's DNA? Both my yDNA and mtDNA are pretty rare.

As far as matches on yDNA I have none above 12 Markers. mtDNA I have No matches at all. Both Sub-Clades are Near East/Middle East.

Comment

Is your Jewish from US or Italy? If Italy maybe why your not matching. Most of the people tested are probably holocaust survivors from other parts of Europe. Didn't the Italian Jews become isolated in Italy due to the Spanish Inquisition and have been in Italy since then? This isolation also happened with the Sephardic Jews from Spain that fled to the Americas. Family finder finds closer cousins and family but is iffy further back on what you inherited so you may be related to other Jewish people tested 400 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
        Is your Jewish from US or Italy? If Italy maybe why your not matching. Most of the people tested are probably holocaust survivors from other parts of Europe. Didn't the Italian Jews become isolated in Italy due to the Spanish Inquisition and have been in Italy since then? This isolation also happened with the Sephardic Jews from Spain that fled to the Americas. Family finder finds closer cousins and family but is iffy further back on what you inherited so you may be related to other Jewish people tested 400 years ago.

Yes it would be from Southern Italy most likely. My best guess that it's Sephardic. I just don't understand why I only have 32 matches on here. I have around 170 match on Gedmatch at 7cM. 5cM prob at least 1000. Maybe it's because of the recombination of rare DNA that I carry.
        Last edited by Taz85; 13 June 2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I am about 1/8 Sephardi, and have probably about 2% of my matches through Sephardi lines. (And some of these are to people with no documented Jewish ancestry, but Mexican or Cuban ancestry with probable remote converso ancestors.) Just not a lot of Sephardim testing, plus Sephardim are probably not as bottlenecked as Ashkenazim.

Look at the effect of dropoff on matches for Sephardi vs. Ashkenazi here:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...4&postcount=18

Comment

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
            Yes it would be from Southern Italy most likely. My best guess that it's Sephardic. I just don't understand why I only have 32 matches on here. I have around 170 match on Gedmatch at 7cM. 5cM prob at least 1000. Maybe it's because of the recombination of rare DNA that I carry.
            Are most of your matches on gedmatch from 23andme rather than Family Finder? Maybe that's the reason? Also gedmatch may not be converting FF and 23andme matches to read the same like they are here at FTDNA? Something could be off on gedmatch's matching system when comparing FF and 23andme.

This just came to me, a while back I watched James Carroll's documentary Constantine's Sword. He interviewed Italian Jews that lived in the Jewish ghettos in Italy since the inquisition. They had been isolated for a long time so this could be the reasoning for you not having a significant amount of matches to others. I know other people in the forum that claim Italy said not many Italians in general have DNA tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
              Are most of your matches on gedmatch from 23andme rather than Family Finder? Maybe that's the reason? Also gedmatch may not be converting FF and 23andme matches to read the same like they are here at FTDNA? Something could be off on gedmatch's matching system when comparing FF and 23andme.

This just came to me, a while back I watched James Carroll's documentary Constantine's Sword. He interviewed Italian Jews that lived in the Jewish ghettos in Italy since the inquisition. They had been isolated for a long time so this could be the reasoning for you not having a significant amount of matches to others. I know other people in the forum that claim Italy said not many Italians in general have DNA tested.
              Most of my close matches on Gedmatch are from 23andme.

Comment

Most of my close matches on Gedmatch are from 23andme.
                Than its probably just because more people have tested with 23andme than FF and may not have transferred their results here. We have 2 close matches here but not with people who tested with 23andme. FF is still new. I could have more close matches at 23andme but we haven't tested there. We have no close matches on gedmatch other than our known close family and most of our family is Colonial as far as my European ancestors go. You would think we would get a lot more closer matches but we haven't.
                Last edited by Yaffa; 14 June 2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

32 matches is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I only have twelve!

Comment

Can we take are Family Finder results and upload them to 23 and me to compare results?

Comment

Originally posted by deniseneufeld View Post
                      Can we take are Family Finder results and upload them to 23 and me to compare results?
                      You can't upload FTDNA data to 23andMe but you CAN upload FTDNA and 23andMe data to www.gedmatch.com

It won't match you against all 23andMe data, only the ones who have uploaded to GEDmatch.

Comment

So just about every admixture analysis done on my data points to Jewish ancestry, and yet I only have 32 matches on FF. I have a lot more on Gedmatch but very little here. I don't get it. Any suggestions? Could it be due to the fact of recombination of my parent's DNA? Both my yDNA and mtDNA are pretty rare.
                        Have you tested with 23andme? Usually people with measurable Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry like 1/8th or more have around 1000 cousins in Relative Finder. Of course if it's mostly Sephardic, then it would probably be very difficult to detect, due to factors already mentioned - no bottleneck and few Sephardi tested.

Comment

Sorry for being off topic, but I notice many posters show their yDNA, mtDNA, etc in a standard format below their messages - black letters first and then green for the data. How can I activate that standard format and display my haplogroups etc? Think I just figured it out under signature.

Comment

Hi all -

I was recently contacted by an adoptee who (it seems) is in the same situation. I don't know all the facts but here is what I've been told:

Y-DNA haplogroup is J1, no exact matches at 12 markers but a handful of 1 step who are Ashkenazi. Nothing at 25 or 37 markers. Someone else looked at his Y-DNA results and told him that he's Cohanim. I don't know his specific markers but I sent him an article on the CMH and he says he matches 11 of the 12 CMH markers.

FF: 5 matches total, 3 from Italy.

What other questions should I be asking him?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
                              Hi all -

I was recently contacted by an adoptee who (it seems) is in the same situation. I don't know all the facts but here is what I've been told:

Y-DNA haplogroup is J1, no exact matches at 12 markers but a handful of 1 step who are Ashkenazi. Nothing at 25 or 37 markers. Someone else looked at his Y-DNA results and told him that he's Cohanim. I don't know his specific markers but I sent him an article on the CMH and he says he matches 11 of the 12 CMH markers.

FF: 5 matches total, 3 from Italy.

What other questions should I be asking him?

Thanks!
                              On Y-DNA the mutations can happen anywhere. My uncle is 11/12 to Niall but he is M222+ . Its possible your match could be Cohanm and be a mutation off at 12 marker. my uncle matches my cousin line at 67 marker but they are one mutation off that happened between 37-67 marker.

Also not many Italians have DNA tested in general from what other people have posted. There are Italian Jews. If your match happens to be from NY I bet his father line could have Been Italian or Jewish or both. I know many Catholic Italians that have married Jews (call themselves Pizza Bagels) or Italian Jews that married ashkenazi Jews ect.

Comment

Working...
                              X