Breast cancer and Genes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breast cancer and Genes?

my ukrainian mom only has 12 matches on family finder, all are remote 4th and 5th cousins. all of my maternal great grandparents were ukrainian (catholic) and came from the ukraine or galicia region. if my mother had ashkenazi jewish relatives within the last 5 generations or so would she for sure have more matches?? all of her grandparents were ukrainian greek catholic. i know that ashkenazi jews are at higher risk for carrying the brca1 and brca2 breast cancer gene. my mom who is 66 yrs old was just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. she has not had a mammogram in many years so she could have gotten this cancer quite a while ago. her mother also had breast cancer, diagnosed in her mid to late 60's. she as well did not get regular mammograms so could have had it for quite a while. my mom just went into the hospital a week ago and they are still running tests and figuring out a treatment course. in one short coversation that i had with the oncologist i asked her if this could be genetic and if my mom should be tested. she said yes she should (or could) be tested. my mom's younger sister died at 60 yrs old from a non cancer event. my grandma's sister had cancer (not sure what kind) my mom thinks it was ovarian cancer maybe and i though i heard it was blood cancer. my grandma's other sister lived to be 85 and died from a heart problem and the other sister died young of menengitis. i am an only child... does anyone know if ukrainians are at higher risk of breast cancer gene variants? being my mom only has 12 FF matches should i assume she has no recent jewish ancestry? i know breast cancer has a lot to do with lifestyle, etc but i'm concerned abt a genetic risk. i just ordered 23 and me for both the health risk assessments as well as for the geneology aspect. some of my mom's 12 matches seem to have some jewish surnames or jewish sounding names in their family surname list but i have no clue if any of those surnames are directly related to my family line as i only know the surnames and maiden names of my great grandparents and one great great grandmother. thank you in advance for some feedback...

If you had ashkenazi ancestry then she would have hundreds of matches. 12 indicates likely none.

23andme does test for genetic disposition for breast cancer so I would wait for those results.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rover View Post
      If you had ashkenazi ancestry then she would have hundreds of matches. 12 indicates likely none.

23andme does test for genetic disposition for breast cancer so I would wait for those results.
      Not exactly. There are tons of other factors. Ftdna does not have a large database for FF yet.

Comment

i know '23 and me' only tests a few known breast cancer genes and from what i understand there are surely others that have not been discovered yet. i'm hoping my mom can get tested soon from her doctor or referred to one who does it. in the mean time i have changed my diet drastically eating only organic meats, eggs, milk, ezekiel bread, with organic fruits and veggies, etc... most everything is organic and non processed. i've also ordered some supplements from the "life extension foundation" (i have been reading their magazines and research for years). i'm just hoping and praying that my mom's cancer can at least be slowed down. she has it in her breast, lungs, bones and liver... we are extremely close and i am absolutely devastated and depressed...

Comment

I am so very sorry to hear about your mother. I wish the best for you and your family.

Comment

thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
              Not exactly. There are tons of other factors. Ftdna does not have a large database for FF yet.
              The Ashkenazi Jews I have been in contact with including some of my matches have consistently told me they have hundreds of matches.

12 is way too low.

Comment

The Ashkenazi Jews I have been in contact with including some of my matches have consistently told me they have hundreds of matches.

12 is way too low.
                If your Jewish ancestry is 7+ generations back, it won't even reflect in your matches. The best bet is exploring admixture.

Comment

this is my ukrainian mom's autosomal interpretation from dr mcdonald:

-autosomal-o-results.csv
                  Most likely fit is 59.1% (+- 19.7%) Europe (all Northeast Europe)
                  and 40.9% (+- 19.7%) Europe (various subcontinents)
                  which is 100% total Europe

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,
                  most likely at the top
                  Belorus= 0.589 Hungary= 0.411 or
                  Belorus= 0.761 Romania= 0.239 or
                  Lithuani= 0.385 Hungary= 0.615 or
                  Lithuani= 0.586 Romania= 0.414 or
                  Belorus= 0.850 Tuscan= 0.150 or
                  Finland= 0.365 Hungary= 0.635 or
                  Belorus= 0.843 Italian= 0.157 or
                  Russian= 0.349 Hungary= 0.651

This looks plian Polish, or at least close.

Doug McDonald

anyhow, what exactly does this mean as far as her mixture? do you see any possible "jewish" ancestry? also, for instance "finland"...does this mean my mom has some finish ancestry or some italian ancestry which are a couple of the countries listed?????? thanks...
                  Last edited by jilski; 31 May 2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Since ftdna nor Dr. Mcdonald show no Jewish ancestry could be a good indication that you don't have Jewish ancestry. However it can't rule out Jewish ancestry. You might wanna try gedmatch. One of the admixture calculators.

Comment

Since ftdna nor Dr. Mcdonald show no Jewish ancestry could be a good indication that you don't have Jewish ancestry. However it can't rule out Jewish ancestry. You might wanna try gedmatch. One of the admixture calculators.
                      Or maybe she has no Jewish ancestry so should not focus on that.
                      Last edited by Red Rover; 2 June 2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Or maybe she has no Jewish ancestry so should not focus on that.
                        No I dont think so. Population genetics (admixture) is just as important as getting matches. Especially when it comes to looking for specific ancestry.

Comment

People of mixed Jewish & non-Jewish ancestry get an assortment of FF cousins who consider themselves fully culturally Jewish + others who are not culturally Jewish but have some Jewish ancestry themselves. A non-Jewish sounding name does not necessarily mean that cousin does not have Jewish ancestry. Most of the time, we never know exactly what our cousins are unless they tell us. Sometimes a FF cousin is specifically looking for a Jewish ancestral connection with his or her other cousins and will say so. I suspect the original poster here has more FF cousins of Jewish or partial-Jewish ancestry than is known at this point.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

My sister also never went for mammograms and one day she did and was found to have Stage 0 DCIS. We're Ashkenazi (although I'm adopted) and for years we heard that breast cancer ran in the family because several cousins had had it. It turns out that all of those cousins descended from the second wife and my sister and first cousins all descend from the first wife. My sister was tested and does not carry any BRCA genes.

As for number of matches - I manage six kits with varying Ashkenazi background (and I'm working with 2 sibling sets - so another 4 kits). Only three of them and each sibling set are closely related.

Grouping 3-2-2-1-1-1

Otherwise they are genealogical strangers - although FF has found various DNA connections among us.

100% Ashkenazi (2 kits) - about 1,000 FF matches

50% Ashkenazi (5 kits) - about 700 FF matches

25% Ashkenazi (1 kit) - about 500 FF matches

12.5% Ashkenazi (2 kits) - about 300 FF matches

It DOES make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
                              I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

My sister also never went for mammograms and one day she did and was found to have Stage 0 DCIS. We're Ashkenazi (although I'm adopted) and for years we heard that breast cancer ran in the family because several cousins had had it. It turns out that all of those cousins descended from the second wife and my sister and first cousins all descend from the first wife. My sister was tested and does not carry any BRCA genes.

As for number of matches - I manage six kits with varying Ashkenazi background (and I'm working with 2 sibling sets - so another 4 kits). Only three of them and each sibling set are closely related.

Grouping 3-2-2-1-1-1

Otherwise they are genealogical strangers - although FF has found various DNA connections among us.

100% Ashkenazi (2 kits) - about 1,000 FF matches

50% Ashkenazi (5 kits) - about 700 FF matches

25% Ashkenazi (1 kit) - about 500 FF matches

12.5% Ashkenazi (2 kits) - about 300 FF matches

It DOES make a difference.
                              My point is if your Jewish ancestry is more distant it will not reflect in your matches. For example on ff I have only 32 matches, but on gedmatch I have close to 4 times that amount, several being Jewish. Every admixture analysis points to me having Jewish ancestry. But why soo little matches on ff? Could be many reasons. My Jewish ancestry is most likely older like my ydna and mtdna is and/or my Jewish ancestry is non Ashkenazi.

Comment

Working...
                              X