Uncle or half sibling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle or half sibling?

Recieved my FF results from a YDNA 67/67 match. We shareTotal CM 2090.20 and longest block is 162.92. FTDNA says predicted half sibling, well I am talking to this person and the 2 suspects are his deceased father and his brother. He said his brother makes more sence as he was a player back then. Are these numbers too high for a uncle/nephew relationship as that is the likely scenario as the father is suspect but not as likely
    thanks

Originally posted by wilson View Post
    Recieved my FF results from a YDNA 67/67 match. We shareTotal CM 2090.20 and longest block is 162.92. FTDNA says predicted half sibling, well I am talking to this person and the 2 suspects are his deceased father and his brother. He said his brother makes more sence as he was a player back then. Are these numbers too high for a uncle/nephew relationship as that is the likely scenario as the father is suspect but not as likely
    thanks
    It could be either one, you need to test his brother too.

Doesn't the age of the three indicate who might be your father?

I have a suspicion based on that number you are half sibs and not a half nephew but that's just me. I don't know the rest of the facts. My half nephew shows up as a 1st cousin in the 700 shared cM range. You would have to be his full nephew to have a number as high as 2090 shared sum cM. My guess is you are half sibs.

Test the brother too.

Matt.
    Last edited by mkdexter; 15 March 2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

well thanks for your thoughts. It really is a 50/50 shot. one or the other. I just didnt know if 2078 is typical for Uncle/Nephew, seems rather high from what I have read on there forums

Comment

It looks to me like it could be either. That does sound high though...I match my grandparents at 1844 & 1736 cMs (same 25% average). Is it possible your mother is related to either of your potential fathers?

Only other way I can think to know for sure would be to test another kid of the brother's (if he has one). It sounds like the brother is not willing to test?

Comment

well thanks for your thoughts. It really is a 50/50 shot. one or the other. I just didnt know if 2078 is typical for Uncle/Nephew, seems rather high from what I have read on there forums
          So you suspect the other brother is your father. This number is not out of the ballpark for either that or him being your half sibling, or a double cousin. Certainly other facts will help you determine what happened such as age, geographic locations at the time of conception and things like that.

In the end, you must test the other person to determine what happened. Your move! Have his brother help you.

Matt.
          Last edited by mkdexter; 16 March 2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Aunt /Uncle

I do not have any Uncle data but I do have nephew/niece match to an Aunt
            Max Seq Total cM
            102 2173
            123 2065
            90 2067
            111 2060
            136 2019
            122 1884

Comment

thanks
              At 2000 cM this match is statisticly either your half brother or your father's grandchild (ie your nephew). For this to be true, there would probably be an age difference between you and the match and your father and mother would be his grandparents. Meaning they had a late baby and put it up for adoption.

If you were your match's father's brother's child this would make you first cousins and this is twice as much DNA as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
                At 2000 cM this match is statisticly either your half brother or your father's grandchild (ie your nephew).
                He is the nephew ( he thinks ) and the match is his uncle.

Comment

@Wilson:

I just came across a set of siblings who share 2834cM and the brother's son, the nephew, shares 2085cM with his uncle.

Your 2090cM is definitely possible as a uncle to nephew.

Matt.

Comment

Working...
                  X