100% Malay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Malay

According to the PF, I belong for 100% to the malay population with an error margin of +-0.02%. Anyone else belonging for this much to the Malay population? I was born in Indonesia but I grew up in Holland (I am an adoptee)

My Haplogroups are determined right now. As the PF tells me that I am 100%Malay, does this mean that both my Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups must belong to the same Malay population

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroens View Post
      My Haplogroups are determined right now. As the PF tells me that I am 100%Malay, does this mean that both my Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups must belong to the same Malay population
      No, Population Finder uses autosomal DNA, not Y-DNA or mtDNA. http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=21#652

Comment

Yes, I know...what I am trying to say is:

Suppose, according to the Y-DNA test My Haplogroup indicates that my great great.....great grandfather comes somewhere form the northern areas of Asia (Japan, Korea, etc.).

PF indicates that I belong for 100% to the Malay population (East Southern Asia).

In this case shouldn't the PF also have a population part from somewhere Northern Asia (lets say 20%). With a remaing part of 80% for the Malay population?

Comment

Yes, I know...what I am trying to say is:

Suppose, according to the Y-DNA test My Haplogroup indicates that my great great.....great grandfather comes somewhere form the northern areas of Asia (Japan, Korea, etc.).

PF indicates that I belong for 100% to the Malay population (East Southern Asia).

In this case shouldn't the PF also have a population part from somewhere Northern Asia (lets say 20%). With a remaing part of 80% for the Malay population?
          Population Finder has no Korean reference population, although it does have one from Japan. http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...?faqid=22#1037

But if the northeast Asian paternal ancestor is too distant, it is possible that none of the distinctively northeast Asian markers will be present in your autosomal DNA.

Comment

Not necessarily. If you have one ancestor within the last six generations that is of a different population than the others PF would probably show that but if all are approximately of the same population types then most likely that would not show up.

Mine for example has 8% North African which came to me via the Mediterranean area so it shows up as a second continental grouping, ME Mozabite. Had that not been there I'd simply show up as all Western European even though some is Irish, some English, some German, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X