GEDCOM pedigree trees don't show maiden name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEDCOM pedigree trees don't show maiden name

I'm one of the 23 crowd that recently transfered in.

I've been fighting with the GEDCOM tree feature and all trees I put up show married sunames for women.
    It doesn't seem to matter whether I import a GEDCOM from MasterGenealogist or from Ancestry.com.

Am I just being a doofus? Is there some setting somewhere where I can show my female ancestors by maiden name? The info is in the file?

Thanks for the advice,

-Brian

Well, I always list daughters under their father and mothers in a genealogy program, then have them married to the husband.
    So when I export them to a Gedcom they arelisted under their maiden/fathers/parents/mothers name.

If I dont know the maiden name, they have the surname of 'Unknown' etc...

Is this what you are talking about???

Comment

Are you positive the maiden name is in the .ged file. Worst case you would need to add a father with a last name for each line that ends with a female.

Comment

@RiverGirl:
        Yes, I do too, but that's not exactly my question. See my answer to the tick.

@TheTick:
        I have the whole tree, with all known parents and sibilings, so I have the fathers in many cases.

My primary entry for a person is listed under birthname after the NAME token:
        e.g.
        1 NAME Hattie Frances /Wood/

but later I have a secondary reference record, possibly with several alternate NAME tokens, that acts as a pointer back to the primary record.e.g.
        1 NAME Hattie Frances /Brown/
        1 NAME Hattie Frances /Yost/

This let's you reference the married names.
        I also do this for adopted family members that get a new name after adoption, though in that case, the adopted name is the primary.

I didn't invent this; this is all the standard way of doing it, so you have one person, but can have alternate names.

Anyway, I can purge my GEDCOM of alternate names, but it's non-trivial text editing.

I was just hoping this was something that could be easily corrected.

-Brian

Comment

Working...
        X