Please change how the timeout works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please change how the timeout works

I can understand why they want to time you out. But both the frequency of the warnings, the annoying nature of the popup which pulls me from whatever tab I'm in whether I'm typing in a box or clicking a menu on the other tab... and the way the system extends your time is rediculous and infuriating. If I'm comparing genomes or looking at several profiles and then at my trees to find common names, I absolutely do NOT want you to 'refresh' the page and force me to reset my settings, find the page I was at and the person I was looking at and start again. (Half the time I forget by the time I get there.. the hell of being older)

If my bank operated like this, I'd change banks.

Instead, why isn't there an option to say "I'm still using this page" and NOT reset the whole freaking thing? Poor programming I say.

I completely agree.

It is especially annoying when I'm actively downloading chromosome segments. I don't understand why I'm timing out when I'm actively engaged with the website (clicking on things).

Comment

Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
      I completely agree.

It is especially annoying when I'm actively downloading chromosome segments. I don't understand why I'm timing out when I'm actively engaged with the website (clicking on things).
      Me, too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
        ...the annoying nature of the popup which pulls me from whatever tab I'm in whether I'm typing in a box or clicking a menu on the other tab... and the way the system extends your time is ridiculous and infuriating ...
        Totally agree.

Comment

I agree also, it's very annoying. I would guess it supposed to be a security feature. The correct way to fix this is add an option to disable it.
          Last edited by thetick; 17th February 2012, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Total agreement.

I add that this should probably be posted in the "Which features would be nice to have at FTDNA" forum if it isn't already.

Comment

...and posted on a feedback form from the FTDNA website.

Comment

It's really, really annoying for somebody like me with a disability that makes typing and mousing difficult!!! Try to record matching cM positions or anything and I'm timed out over and over, and if I refresh, it doesn't give me the screen I was looking at. I have to navigate to it again!!! And If I'm typing an email to a match in one tab, I suddenly get switched to another. Not fun!

Carol Anne

Comment

I agree. The time allotment often is inadequate to look over GEDCOM submissions or review surname projects, etc. It is exceedingly annoying to be jerked away from what I am typing or reading. I would be thrilled to see this get resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
                    It's really, really annoying for somebody like me with a disability that makes typing and mousing difficult!!! Try to record matching cM positions or anything and I'm timed out over and over, and if I refresh, it doesn't give me the screen I was looking at. I have to navigate to it again!!! And If I'm typing an email to a match in one tab, I suddenly get switched to another. Not fun!

Carol Anne
                    Try doing a "cancel" instead of a "refresh." It sounds more drastic, but it seems to work better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
                      I can understand why they want to time you out. But both the frequency of the warnings, the annoying nature of the popup which pulls me from whatever tab I'm in whether I'm typing in a box or clicking a menu on the other tab... and the way the system extends your time is rediculous and infuriating. If I'm comparing genomes or looking at several profiles and then at my trees to find common names, I absolutely do NOT want you to 'refresh' the page and force me to reset my settings, find the page I was at and the person I was looking at and start again. (Half the time I forget by the time I get there.. the hell of being older)

If my bank operated like this, I'd change banks.

Instead, why isn't there an option to say "I'm still using this page" and NOT reset the whole freaking thing? Poor programming I say.
                      I agree, it is getting annoying when I am in the middle of a reply and I have to start over.

Judy

Comment

Ditto from me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                          Try doing a "cancel" instead of a "refresh." It sounds more drastic, but it seems to work better for me.
                          Unfortunately, cancel only gets you a few more minutes (3-5?) and then the popup happens again with a 2 minute warning. Then, you get logged out and have to start over from a different login page so that my saved kits and passwords don't even work and I have to navigate to the front login page where my browswer remembers all my kits and passwords.

Comment

Working...
                          X