What does FMS mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does FMS mean?

In the Show all Matches view of Family Finder what does FMS stand for under the personal name of a match?

I have checked the page help and there is no specific mention of it, although I gather it has something to do with testing level.

FMS is the mtDNA full genomic sequence (mtFullSequence test). There is no further testing needed of your mtDNA when you have done this test.

Comment

Originally posted by cjm95 View Post
      FMS is the mtDNA full genomic sequence (mtFullSequence test). There is no further testing needed of your mtDNA when you have done this test.
      That is normally termed everywhere else as FGS, although I think FMS is more accurate.

Comment

FGS = Full Genomic Sequence, which became a confusing term once whole genome sequencing projects started up.

So FTDNA is phasing out the FGS acronym, and now uses FMS -- Full Mitochondrial Sequence.

Elise

Comment

Well, I did that test a long time ago, and I still show no matches there!

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
            In the Show all Matches view of Family Finder what does FMS stand for under the personal name of a match?

I have checked the page help and there is no specific mention of it, although I gather it has something to do with testing level.
            From what I'm understanding, you're asking why it is placed next to the email contact/gedcom icons on your Family Finder Result Matches Pages? If I'm not mistaken, if FMS is listed next to that match it is there to indicate to you, that they have also taken the FMS test along with the FF test. The same should show for other tests too (different abbreviations of course) if they have taken it. It will show testing level too, like HVR1 or HVR2, or the number of Y-markers tested if these have been tested.

FMS= mtFullSequence test, formerly called FGS (full genome sequence)

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
              So FTDNA is phasing out the FGS acronym, and now uses FMS -- Full Mitochondrial Sequence.
              I guess FGS will be hard to kill, but FMS is more applicable.

Comment

PLEASE ANSWER THIS> NO ONE ELSE HAS
                My mtdna results for a person is: exact match HVR1, HVR2 and FMS BUT NOT A MATCH ON FAMILY FINDER
                WHAT DOES THIS MEAN. AFTER A YEAR OF SEARCHING FOR MY GRANDFATHERS MOTHER (NO NAME KNOWN) I AM DESPARATE TO FIND AN ANSWER BEFORE MY 91 YEAR OLD FATHER DIES.

Comment

Originally posted by Robyn Robertson View Post
                  PLEASE ANSWER THIS> NO ONE ELSE HAS
                  My mtdna results for a person is: exact match HVR1, HVR2 and FMS BUT NOT A MATCH ON FAMILY FINDER
                  WHAT DOES THIS MEAN. AFTER A YEAR OF SEARCHING FOR MY GRANDFATHERS MOTHER (NO NAME KNOWN) I AM DESPARATE TO FIND AN ANSWER BEFORE MY 91 YEAR OLD FATHER DIES.
                  Who's test was it? Your father's mtDNA would have come from his mother, so if it's his it wouldn't help at all in finding his father's mother.

mtDNA matches, even full ones, can be many generations distant, so for them to not be a match on Family Finder isn't unusual. Starting at 4th cousin and farther two related people may not even be a FF match.

IMO you should have your father test at Ancestry if you can. Depending on where you are, they have a much larger database of (autosomal) DNA testers. the Facebook group "DNA Detectives" has volunteers that can help decipher your results and sort your matches as well. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X