No announcement yet.

New Matches Coming In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 new predicted 4th cousin that matches my uncle, his 1st and 3rd cousin.

Comment

• 2 for me
      0 for my wife
      2 for my mum
      1 for my father
      3 for my father in law
      1 for my mother in law
      0 for my son

Comment

• Just rec'd 3 new matches. Now have total of 67. This might have been the biggest one day for me since my first matches on the first day I was here (had 18 matches in 2011)...

Comment

• I just peeked at my FF, and see 5 new ones. That's a lot for me. Now it totals 243. Only two give surnames. But I can only speculate about possible connections.

Comment

• Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
            I just peeked at my FF, and see 5 new ones. That's a lot for me. Now it totals 243. Only two give surnames. But I can only speculate about possible connections.
            One of the two with surnames looks to be derived from my maternal side from the Carolinas, and only has an 8+ cm segment. The other is puzzling. It has a 14+ cm segment, but looks out of the way by geography (New England in the US). It has a few from Wales, which makes me wonder about a Joan Plantagenet (Lady of Wales) connection. But it also has English and Dutch sources. Hmm...

Comment

• 5 for myself
              7 for my wife
              6 for my mum
              2 for my dad
              7 for my father in law
              7 for my mother in law
              7 for my son

Everything 5th to distant. Nothing obvious. Only 1 obvious geographical link that matches my mother, my son and myself that I will look at first.

Comment

• 16 for my uncle
                10 for my grandmother
                3 for my dad
                7 for me
                8 for my half brother
                7 for one half sister
                17 for another half sister

This is pretty good for my kits! None appear to be very close though.

Comment

• 2 me
                  11 uncle
                  3 1st cousin 1R
                  2 2nd cousin 1R
                  3 2nd cousin 2R

Comment

• 10 For me.
                    Now up to 490

10 new matches,
                    only 1 with a gedcom,
                    and 5 with no surnames,
                    except for the match.

How are we supposed to match someone with no useful information?

Oh, I know, Let me check my ESP.

Comment

• Usual 30-40 for each of my Ashkenazi kits. The updates certainly seem more frequent, though. Given the just-completed sale, even though the FF cost was capped for the future, we'll probably get in several new large batches for the next month or so.

Comment

• Very few as usual!

2 for Mom
                        1 of Mom's also new for me.
                        1 for 1st cousin
                        0 for Dad

So 3 total for all of us. Slow! Slow! Slow!

Comment

• Originally posted by JDP1144 View Post
                          10 new matches,
                          only 1 with a gedcom,
                          and 5 with no surnames,
                          except for the match.
                          How are we supposed to match someone with no useful information?
                          Oh, I know, Let me check my ESP.
                          OK, reality-check time!

Your new matches JUST received their results TODAY. How about giving them some time to actually look at their results, take it all in, and work on uploading things like their family tree and surname lists. Some people don't even have a family tree yet -- not everyone who does DNA testing is an experienced genealogist!

I've seen far too many people with this same complaint.

People have got to stop expecting every single person who tests to be addicted to DNA, glued to their computers 24x7 and be ready with a fully-sourced and documented family tree 5 seconds after their DNA results come in!

For those of you who ARE glued to your computers, addicted to DNA and experienced genealogists:

Rather than pouncing on the newbies for not living up to unrealistic expectations, how about *welcoming* them instead? Take a few minutes out of your not-so-busy day to email your new matches, introduce yourself, welcome them to the brave new world of Family Finder, nicely explain the benefits of uploading their family trees and surnames, and maybe even offer to assist them if needed? Wouldn't that be considerably more productive than complaining about them?

Elise

Comment

• Originally posted by efgen View Post
                            OK, reality-check time!

Your new matches JUST received their results TODAY. How about giving them some time to actually look at their results, take it all in, and work on uploading things like their family tree and surname lists. Some people don't even have a family tree yet -- not everyone who does DNA testing is an experienced genealogist!

Elise
                            I generally agree with your post... BUT

When my best match (3rd cousin) in this batch of a dozen or so new matches has their e-mail address given as "[email protected]" then I have to suspect that they are not a newbie but rather just don't plan to share. I just don't get these kind of people. They want to see who they match and possibly contact them but clearly have no intention of sharing anything

-Kevin

Comment

• Newbies

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                              OK, reality-check time!

People have got to stop expecting every single person who tests to be addicted to DNA, glued to their computers 24x7 and be ready with a fully-sourced and documented family tree 5 seconds after their DNA results come in!

For those of you who ARE glued to your computers, addicted to DNA and experienced genealogists:

Rather than pouncing on the newbies for not living up to unrealistic expectations, how about *welcoming* them instead? Take a few minutes out of your not-so-busy day to email your new matches, introduce yourself, welcome them to the brave new world of Family Finder, nicely explain the benefits of uploading their family trees and surnames, and maybe even offer to assist them if needed? Wouldn't that be considerably more productive than complaining about them?

Elise
                              I'm all for helping someone out but some people have had matches for months and can't even be bothered with surname. How difficult is it to come up with a least a few. I also have had trouble emailing some of these people. My emails keep bouncing - bad email address. I tried to contact one person because they are the only one showing one of my family surnames. I tried three times to contact this person. I guess I'll check their email to see if it should have something other than a .com on the end. I've seen several of those, they should have a .net not .com. For example comcast.net not comcast.com.

OK enough picking on people and I'll back under my rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin? View Post
                                I generally agree with your post... BUT

When my best match (3rd cousin) in this batch of a dozen or so new matches has their e-mail address given as "[email protected]" then I have to suspect that they are not a newbie but rather just don't plan to share. I just don't get these kind of people. They want to see who they match and possibly contact them but clearly have no intention of sharing anything

-Kevin
                                You could assume the other way in that they, like my father, want the information but do not want people having their information. Not until I explained the purpose did he fully understand.

That said, I manage my parents kits.

Comment

Working...
                                X