Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Matches Coming In

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
    If your father might have a Spanish name are these Mexico matches your getting with Spanish names? Keep in mind that both African and American Indian in Mexico would have been given Spanish names. Also many people in Mexico are given Russian/Finnish on population finder and its not accurate. Population finder is in beta.
    That is true. Also, Rosemary, your surname, Robles, means Oaks in Spanish, oak trees, as it is in its plural from.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
      If your father might have a Spanish name are these Mexico matches your getting with Spanish names? Keep in mind that both African and American Indian in Mexico would have been given Spanish names. Also many people in Mexico are given Russian/Finnish on population finder and its not accurate. Population finder is in beta.
      Hi, most of my matches, about 90% seem to be from Puerto Rico and others from Spain and Cuba. I have the following surnames below more then once:

      Gonzalez (I have 4 matches with the surname Gonzalez)
      Torres/De La Torre (I have 3 matches with the surname Torres/Torre)
      Gelpi (Of this surname I only have 2 matches)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JuanCarlos View Post
        That is true. Also, Rosemary, your surname, Robles, means Oaks in Spanish, oak trees, as it is in its plural from.
        Thank you very much! nice to know, I do like Oak trees

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RosemaryFurtaw View Post
          Hi, most of my matches, about 90% seem to be from Puerto Rico and others from Spain and Cuba. I have the following surnames below more then once:

          Gonzalez (I have 4 matches with the surname Gonzalez)
          Torres/De La Torre (I have 3 matches with the surname Torres/Torre)
          Gelpi (Of this surname I only have 2 matches)

          The Islands would work the same way as Mexico where African and American Indian would be given Spanish names. Its possible that that your Russian/Finnish is actually Siberia. They dont have a lot of American Indian samples. Sounds to me like your father probably has mixed ancestry of being Spaniard/Indian/African like many in the islands are. This is kind of how your PF is reading. Keep in mind it is still in Beta

          Also take this into consideration, when they took slaves from Africa they separated families. Just an example but one sibling could have been sent to the USA while another sibling was sent to the Islands. The sibling in the US got an American surname while the other got a Spanish Surname. These 2 siblings although separated to two different countries will still match on DNA
          Last edited by Yaffa; 23 November 2012, 08:57 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
            The Islands would work the same way as Mexico where African and American Indian would be given Spanish names. Its possible that that your Russian/Finnish is actually Siberia. They dont have a lot of American Indian samples. Sounds to me like your father probably has mixed ancestry of being Spaniard/Indian/African like many in the islands are. This is kind of how your PF is reading. Keep in mind it is still in Beta

            Also take this into consideration, when they took slaves from Africa they separated families. Just an example but one sibling could have been sent to the USA while another sibling was sent to the Islands. The sibling in the US got an American surname while the other got a Spanish Surname. These 2 siblings although separated to two different countries will still match on DNA
            My birth mother said I was part Native American but then I started not buying it since I couldn't see anyone in the family (mothers side of the family since I only found her) with any American Indian features, I hadn't clued in it might be my father, she said Cherokee.

            That makes sense about the separating siblings... also, I wanted to ask, is having only 4 pages of matches the norm?

            I understand PF is still in beta which is why, I am really looking at the matches and the surnames. Strangely my mother had told me my father was Colombian but Colombia doesn't show up at all, I think she was mistaken.

            Comment


            • Also, my Robles match has Ancestors with surnames of De Leon, for example:

              Fernandez de Leon and it reminds me of Ponce De Leon, the Spanish conquistador.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RosemaryFurtaw View Post
                Also, my Robles match has Ancestors with surnames of De Leon, for example:

                Fernandez de Leon and it reminds me of Ponce De Leon, the Spanish conquistador.

                Its possible you could have native on both sides of your family. Admixture comes form all sides of your family. There was Indian slavery before African Slavery. many were taken from the USA into the islands.

                Leon means Lion. You will find Both American Indian and African having Spanish surnames and could have same names as the Conquistadors yet not be related to them at all. It's locating paper to figure out where your ancestors may have acquired their surnames. Spanish records further back from early 1800's and before list race on records through the Caste system. They did this in Mexico and my have also done this in the islands.

                Comment


                • New matches are in today! My uncle's kit from batch 490 is complete. I have five new matches, including him. My grandmother only has one new match (my uncle), my brother has 6 new matches, and my sister has 6 new matches.

                  Comment


                  • 1 for me
                    1 for my wife
                    0 for my mum
                    4 for my dad
                    1 for my father in law
                    3 for my mother in law
                    2 for my son

                    Nothing obvious.

                    Earl.

                    Comment


                    • I greatly appreciate when people post that new matches have arrived as I only check myself about once a week otherwise. I got 26 new ones, 5 being predicted fourth cousins. None look promising.

                      Comment


                      • 12-14 for each of my Ashkenazi kits, none closer than predicted 4th.

                        Comment


                        • My father had another "mystery cousin" attached to his list (not mutual cousins with any other cousin). Of the three of us (my parents and me) he gets these the most. I noticed that this new Family Finder cousin's surname is part of the e-mail address of one of his FMS matches.

                          Hopefully, we'll all start to get more matches once new customers from the latest sale have their kits processed.

                          Comment


                          • My son & nephew only got 1 distant match each. I got 2 distant ones. Not very exciting.

                            Comment


                            • My mother got 3 new matches, all predicted 4th cousins. I got the same 3, two of them are also predicted 4th for me, and the other is predicted 5th to remote.

                              Two, both 5th to remote, for my cousin. None for my Dad.

                              Comment


                              • Yet another 5th cousin with no family surnames attached.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X