No announcement yet.

New Matches Coming In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like others after 4 weeks I got a little lower than usual number of new matches for a month.

The numbers were...

2 for myself
    4 for my wife
    3 for my mum
    4 for my dad
    3 for my father in law
    4 for my mother in law.
    (Sons results due in November)

All were 5th to distant apart from my father in law who got a 4th and a 4th to distant. Very few new matches had Gedcoms or surname lists to review.

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl Davis View Post
      . Very few new matches had Gedcoms or surname lists to review.
      Check them again in a couple of weeks, it can take a bit of time to get that information there. Even with the best intentions, it was about a month before I found a chance to update one of my kits.

(7 new! ... 4th cousins. Oh well.)

Comment

• Matches

All five of my accounts received matches. I have the least matches and of course got the least this time. The rest got about 6-7 new ones each. Their accounts only came through a month ago and they are way ahead of me with lots of pages. Was surprised with the Jewish results of my husbands matches. The kids have most of his matches and that is what this batch contained...all Jewish. There are not many matches from any other ethnicity but Jewish so until the Swiss start testing and the Italian which he has a smudge of, it will stay quite one-sided. The only other thing I can imagine is they were not what they said either and that is why his matches are heavily Jewish.

Comment

• Originally posted by auntsha View Post
          The only other thing I can imagine is they were not what they said either and that is why his matches are heavily Jewish.
          Population Finder would likely pick that up.

Comment

All five of my accounts received matches. I have the least matches and of course got the least this time. The rest got about 6-7 new ones each. Their accounts only came through a month ago and they are way ahead of me with lots of pages. Was surprised with the Jewish results of my husbands matches. The kids have most of his matches and that is what this batch contained...all Jewish. There are not many matches from any other ethnicity but Jewish so until the Swiss start testing and the Italian which he has a smudge of, it will stay quite one-sided. The only other thing I can imagine is they were not what they said either and that is why his matches are heavily Jewish.
            I actually just got my FF results back . . . where does one see if the person is Jewish? I tried looking at some of my matches within my Jewish project but I cannot tell the difference between profiles. Hopefully that question made sense?

Comment

• Originally posted by Verified View Post
              I actually just got my FF results back . . . where does one see if the person is Jewish? I tried looking at some of my matches within my Jewish project but I cannot tell the difference between profiles. Hopefully that question made sense?
              A few ways you can tell. First and foremost try to e-mail your matches, and inquire about their ancestry. It may take a little time, but hopefully if the e-mail is valid, they will respond and tell you.

Second check and see if they tested their yDNA and mtDNA. Some of those are indicators of Jewish ancestry.

Third just google their name. Sometimes if you are lucky the match is very active on the net, and they have information out there. Such as other genealogy sites, especially other sites that have only information on it pertaining to the Jewish community.

Comment

• A good week

My elderly parents and I all received new matches this week. All but one of mine are shared with either my mother or father. The one who does not match either parent has ancestral names that match my mother's other FF cousins' ancestral names. As usual, it was fairly easy to match up my dad's new matches with one of his grandparents, since they each were of a different ethnicity. (French-Canadian/Acadian people especially fall into place as far as his distant relatives go.) One thing about this week: I am becoming more and more aware of cousins who are related to both my dad and my mother, but from different lines. It is sort of like you are a guest at a wedding and suddenly realize you are related to both bride and groom, through both your mother and father's families.
                Last edited by mixedkid; 2 October 2012, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• To Verified
                  My husbands list contains names of people that have Jewish names as well as most have listed surnames of there ancestors and those names are Jewish names. I am not stereotyping but most of us have names that match the countries or nationalities we come from. This was a bit of a surprise to us as we did not know he had any Jewish at all in his background. He is German, Swiss, and a grandmother was from Austria but we thought they were all Catholic as a daughter from this woman was a nun. She is the one we think was probably Jewish as no one knew much about her.
                  Javelin:
                  Population finder has him as Orkney Isles,and 20% Middle East. I figured that was German. McDonald says looks like Eastern European, Slavic,and the Middle East as coming from the Jewish. His matches are mostly Eastern Eur ranging from Czech, Hungary, Austria, Poland ect with distinctly Jewish names. there are a few with Polish names and a few Swiss but clear majority are Jewish. We have no way of tracing any as none look familiar. I have his Grandmothers name listed on his profile so anyone that is related and recognizes it can contact us. Proportionately the Jewish test more so that is why he has so many matches but is hard to believe that one person and her family can tip the scales so much.

Comment

Proportionately the Jewish test more so that is why he has so many matches but is hard to believe that one person and her family can tip the scales so much.
                    It's not just the number testing, it's also the level of inbrededness. Segments are passed on much longer because there was a small gene pool.

Comment

To Verified
                      My husbands list contains names of people that have Jewish names as well as most have listed surnames of there ancestors and those names are Jewish names. I am not stereotyping but most of us have names that match the countries or nationalities we come from. This was a bit of a surprise to us as we did not know he had any Jewish at all in his background. He is German, Swiss, and a grandmother was from Austria but we thought they were all Catholic as a daughter from this woman was a nun. She is the one we think was probably Jewish as no one knew much about her.
                      Our knowledge of Jewish ancestry came about similarly. Just out of curiosity, are you on GEDMATCH? I have a number of matches to someone by the name of auntsha who seems to be administering several accounts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                        It's not just the number testing, it's also the level of inbrededness. Segments are passed on much longer because there was a small gene pool.
                        I agree that the inbreeding is the major contributor. I do not think that genealogy is a historic pastime among Jews although more and more Jews have been doing such research in the last couple of decades.

Another thing is that the various Jewish genealogy societies have been recommending that we test on FTDNA for several years. It certainly makes sense for all of us to test in a common place. Page about FTDNA at JewishGen. Perhaps the fact that Bennett Greenspan is Jewish made such contact happen.
                        Last edited by ursus; 3 October 2012, 03:49 AM.

Comment

• Check your accounts, new matches coming in.

Comment

• I have 11 new matches!

Comment

• I have found my great grandmother at last. After all these years. I actually got tears in my eyes.

Comment

• On Gedmatch

@verified
                                Sorry I did not see this post sooner. Yes I am administering my husband and childrens accounts and I am on Gedmatch. I have to get the hang of deciphering info there. I love using the admixture tools but I am sure more precise results can come the triangulation and crossmatching tools. I'll figure it out sooner or later ! I guess your a match with them? I'll have to look.

Comment

Working...
                                X