English ancestry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English ancestry

I sent my Family Finder results to Dr McDonald and he told I was essentially English. There has been some confusion about what exactly an Englishman is. I have seen research that suggests that English DNA is essentially Anglo Saxon making the English akin to the Germanic countries. Or is being English mean one is Celtic? He did list Irish as being one of my subgroups as I had Middle Eastern percentage but he did say I was mostly English. Also my dad whose family Has been in America since the 1600-1700s has about 5% southern Asia or southern India which was confirmed by Dr McDonald. What does that mean? Gypsies are the only group I can think of that would have met up with a western European Colonial American. Maybe someone can help me sort this out.
    Last edited by moromans; 19th December 2011, 08:28 PM. Reason: Had not finished

The National Geographic is the best source as to where you came from.

Comment

Well some may disagree but I do not believe anyone's DNA can be assigned to a particular nationailty with a few exceptions( Native American ,
      Native African etc). What Dr McDonald is doing is comparing your DNA to those in a DNA database and using statistics and probability. Remember all our DNA is essentially the same with small changes the span over large geograpical
      areas , before countries even existed. To say someones DNA is English or French or whatever is speculative . One needs a good paper trail to confirm DNA testing. I am a L21 which is most commonly found on the British isle but I am not English or Irish . These population finders are just meant as a possible hint- not a fact.

Comment

English ancestry

I know there has been a good deal of research done in the British Isles but with mitochondrial DNA. I am T2b which is evident in Britain but is not exclusive to Britain. I know some studies have been published trying to trace the prevalence of Viking and Anglo Saxon DNA in Britain. So how does one use DNA to prove ancestry? My father's halogroups is R1b which also is not exclusive to Britain. So with all this testing, I can not say whether I am English, French, Spanish or German. Do I have that right?

Comment

That is correct. DNA testing is just a tool that can be used with other tools to establish ancestry. But in itself it cannot . A paper trail should be pursued in addition to joining projects to look for matches or close matches. Doing other kinds of tests can be helpful such as autosomal ( Family Finder/population finder can also be used . If you match or share DNA with a person from say England it helps strengthen the case.
          Of course family traditions have a place also.

This is just my point of view. There are others here who believe DNA alone can be used.

Comment

Working...
          X