Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Finder + mtFullSequence - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder + mtFullSequence - worth it?

I was thinking of taking the Family Finder test. I had an autosomal test done by AncestrybyDNA and I think it would be interesting to confirm the results. I know you can choose to combine the Family Finder test with an mtDNA , mtDNAPlus or mtFullSequence test. Is it really worth it to have the Full Sequence test done? What do you think about the benefits of taking the more expensive tests?

You may want to begin by reading a current thread on this forum:
    http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=29702

You'll see there is no one opinion on this.

Originally posted by Alloro810 View Post
    I was thinking of taking the Family Finder test. I had an autosomal test done by AncestrybyDNA and I think it would be interesting to confirm the results. I know you can choose to combine the Family Finder test with an mtDNA , mtDNAPlus or mtFullSequence test. Is it really worth it to have the Full Sequence test done? What do you think about the benefits of taking the more expensive tests?

Comment

Originally posted by Alloro810 View Post
      One thing is if it's "worth it" or not. The real question is what you want to achieve by taking the test.

Comment

It all depends on how much you want to know about your direct maternal lineage, but if you're really interested in it, I'd go with the FGS. (Yes, I'm the same person who posted in the thread you were referred to.) As of now, the FGS is the only way to definitively determine your subclade, and depending on which haplogroup you end up belonging to and what your HVR1/2 mutations are, it would probably be the most economical. For example, if you end up being in Hap H, it's possible that you could get a good idea of your subclade based on the HVR1/2 results, depending on the subclade. But then again, you might not, because some of the subclades can look the same when comparing only HVR1/2; if that ends up being your situation, it would require additional testing which would cost you more in the long run. Unless you're just interested in the most ancient of mt origins, you'll probably want as much info as possible for genealogical purposes, so you'll need to know your subclade.

Comment

I decided to have the Full Sequence + Family Finder. Should get the results by November 7th.

Comment

Working...
          X