Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I take an FF if already tested with 23andme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, thank you all for your help.

I decided to extend my 23andme test which is said to be roughly the same as Family Finder with the Y-DNA and then with the mtDNA test first which couldn't be done elsewhere at that level.

I hope they make the words come true in the meanwhile, that I can upload my 23andme data to FTDNA, so that I have a "Comprehensive Genome" finally.

Comment

?? Advertising on a FTDNA forum for the other company ?? Interesting!
      Last edited by mkdexter; 2 August 2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
        Advertising for the competitor on this forum???????
        I also inform people on the 23andMe community when FTDNA have a sale on. So what?

Comment

If you are genealogically inclined, I'd suggest taking the FTDNA if your 23andMe results are not getting what you want.

You may get nothing new, but the database does have different people.

In my case, I am here for my adoptee wife. She has taken all of the tests available at both companies. Her results are better here, in the sense that her close matches are known. She does have a 1st cousin on 23andMe, but she has not accepted the connection request.

In my case, I took the 23andMe test only because I was able to take it for free one day. After uploading to a 3rd party site, I noticed that there is a FTDNA person that matches me VERY well.. if I needed more answers testing here would give them to me.

Originally posted by pascal the kraut View Post
          I only get some 3th or 4th degree cousins, highest shared DNA with a person is 0.41%

I heard something people interested in genealogy go for FTDNA, is this true?

btw: I'm also german and Haplogroup R1a1a1 (paternal). Are you interest in sharing genomes?

Comment

Originally posted by pascal the kraut View Post
            Well, thank you all for your help.

I decided to extend my 23andme test which is said to be roughly the same as Family Finder with the Y-DNA and then with the mtDNA test first which couldn't be done elsewhere at that level.

I hope they make the words come true in the meanwhile, that I can upload my 23andme data to FTDNA, so that I have a "Comprehensive Genome" finally.
            Pascal,

Others can correct me, but I believe that FTDNA has the largest Y-DNA database in the world. That may be the same for mtDNA too, and you would really need the mtDNA FMS and Y-DNA 37 or 67 marker tests to see more recent matches. Again, I believe FTDNA is the leader here regarding the Y-DNA higher marker tests, AND, you will get the full name of all your Y-DNA and mtDNA matches. You will not get the names of your matches at 23andMe.

I already explained why doing both the 23andMe Relative Finder, and FTDNA Family Finder would be beneficial.

I post FTDNA info on the 23andMe community forum, and I have posted 23andMe info here on this forum, but in your case I do think that FTDNA has the better Y-DNA tests because of the huge database, and availability of the names of your matches (and I think the way they report results is easier to read and use).

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by JamesKelley View Post
              If you are genealogically inclined, I'd suggest taking the FTDNA if your 23andMe results are not getting what you want.

You may get nothing new, but the database does have different people.

In my case, I am here for my adoptee wife. She has taken all of the tests available at both companies. Her results are better here, in the sense that her close matches are known. She does have a 1st cousin on 23andMe, but she has not accepted the connection request.

In my case, I took the 23andMe test only because I was able to take it for free one day. After uploading to a 3rd party site, I noticed that there is a FTDNA person that matches me VERY well.. if I needed more answers testing here would give them to me.
              James,

Being an adoptee and seeing that you have a 1st cousin match who doesn't answer a request to share genealogical info, would be very frustrating, and could possibly drive me nuts! At least at FTDNA, if this happened, you would probably have the name to research. I suspect your wife is very excited by the 1st cousin match, and frustrated at the same time. I hope she gets a close match here soon.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
                James,

Being an adoptee and seeing that you have a 1st cousin match who doesn't answer a request to share genealogical info, would be very frustrating, and could possibly drive me nuts! At least at FTDNA, if this happened, you would probably have the name to research. I suspect your wife is very excited by the 1st cousin match, and frustrated at the same time. I hope she gets a close match here soon.

Judy
                Judy,

You have no idea how much self control I exercise, especially since I have a security background. Knowing where an answer is, but having it hide behind an access restriction is very much to handle.

Comment

I wasn't raised by my birth family so I can imagine what it's like finding a genetic 1st cousin and then not be able to share information. I don't even want to think about how frustrating it must be.

I would recommend testing at both services. Wait for the next sale.
                  Last edited by scotdna; 4 August 2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesKelley View Post
                    Judy,

You have no idea how much self control I exercise, especially since I have a security background. Knowing where an answer is, but having it hide behind an access restriction is very much to handle.
                    James, I won't tell a anyone......

One of my biggest fears is that I will have a very close match pop up on 23andMe and they won't answer my invitation to share information. I really hope that when it happens (a very close match), it will be here on FTDNA.

I did have a match accept my invitation on 23andMe last week, an invitation I had sent last October, 2010! So, maybe your wife's 1st cousin will eventually reply. I sure hope so!

I just checked my FTDNA results tonight and I see I have picked up two new 4th cousins! Both male too, with Irish sounding names so they are most likely on my birth mothers side. My Italian match (5th cousin) from a few weeks ago has yet to reply, and I am hoping he will because that would probably be on my birth fathers side and I have very few Italian matches. His email address is at Igenea.com, and I believe they do DNA testing for FTDNA in Europe. The company replied to me and said they would pass my message on. I am waiting and hope he does reply!

Maybe that 1st cousin will surprise you and reply. How wonderful that would be!

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                      FTDNA is still working on the import of 23andMe data (V3 for sure) into FF and Ancestry.com into YDNA.
                      The YDNA part of this is now available: See other thread: http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...45&postcount=1

Comment

Working...
                      X