Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I take an FF if already tested with 23andme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I take an FF if already tested with 23andme?

Hi,

I tested with 23andme before I heard about FTDNA.
    The results I get in Relative Finder are disappointing.

Question is: Is Family Finder the same? (autosomal data) I heard they use the same chip while 23andme tests some 300k SNPs additional for medical questions.

It would only make sense to spend some more money, if tested SNPs are mostly different and also the Database is different.

Anything else: Will there ever be a way to transfer 23andme to FTDNA, as promised on launch?

Kind regards

Pascal

Its the same DNA material that is tested except for the medical stuff.
    3. Party analysises give identical results.

However the database may be different, I dont know for this one.

The question is: What disapoints you with your results?
    Too few matches or that it connects you to the wrong places in the world, by your own opinion?

Comment

I only get some 3th or 4th degree cousins, highest shared DNA with a person is 0.41%

I heard something people interested in genealogy go for FTDNA, is this true?

btw: I'm also german and Haplogroup R1a1a1 (paternal). Are you interest in sharing genomes?

Comment

Originally posted by pascal the kraut View Post
        Anything else: Will there ever be a way to transfer 23andme to FTDNA, as promised on launch?
        As I recall the statement was they would look into the possibility. So far they haven't said it won't happen.

Comment

Retesting

Looking at my chromosomes, I have a lot of brown sections where there was not enough data. Would retesting with a new sample change this?

Comment

I only get some 3th or 4th degree cousins, highest shared DNA with a person is 0.41%

I heard something people interested in genealogy go for FTDNA, is this true?

btw: I'm also german and Haplogroup R1a1a1 (paternal). Are you interest in sharing genomes?

Well.
            Here are my experiences (tested with both, FTDNA old chip + converted meanwhile and 23andMe) :

Before the change to illumina system (wich seems to add people who are not in the FTDNA Database, I only had US-American matches in FF. At a level of 4th to whatever cousin.

The 23andMe matches did have Europeans.
            But my best is 3th-5th with 0.34% shared segments. So its even worse than what you got.

that "Anchestry Finder" tool tells me, I share like 1.2% with ALL Germans in the database COMBINED. He he he.
            Wich is number 1 country still, but I have seen the results of a Norwegian, who shares like 35% of DNA with all Norwegians of the database combined. (Incest eh? )

I'm also german and Haplogroup R1a1a1 (paternal). Are you interest in sharing genomes?
            Sharing a a haplogroup does not increase the chance of sharing aDNA really.

20% of the Germans have R1a1 and 40% have R1b.
            The chance that my maternal grandfather ws R1b is twice as high as that he is R1a too, like the paternal one.

And for your autosomal DNA, all your grandparents are equally responsible.

So, looking for Relative Finder of Family Finder matches, its not recommented to look at Haplogroups.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveG View Post
              Looking at my chromosomes, I have a lot of brown sections where there was not enough data. Would retesting with a new sample change this?
              No, those are regions where there aren't many SNPs on the chip. They're the same for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                As I recall the statement was they would look into the possibility. So far they haven't said it won't happen.
                That's great.

Anyway, my impression is (maybe) both database lack sufficient data to be fun in the moment.
                Simply have to wait until database grows exponentially and prices drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel72 View Post
                  that "Anchestry Finder" tool tells me, I share like 1.2% with ALL Germans in the database COMBINED. He he he.
                  Yah, and I'm also some though 0.8 % german guy.

I was wondering if Population Finder is more useful/less confusing, at least by summing up the result to 100%.

btw: I suppose you refer to the v3 chip of 23andme, as they changed twice.

Comment

btw: I suppose you refer to the v3 chip of 23andme, as they changed twice.
                    No. What I mean is, FTDNA and 23andMe used 2 different (and incompatible to each others) chips (tested different SNPs)

Since a few month, FTDNA tests the same SNP than 23andMe does, and so its compatible.

I was wondering if Population Finder is more useful/less confusing
                    If you just want something like "Population Finder" you can use third party analysises.

Look at these things here:
                    http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...=24983&page=10
                    http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=29495

http://dodecad.blogspot.com/

http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/

Specially the "Dodecad Oracle" thing is comparable to what Population Finder tells, but it gives you more alternative possibilities to chose from.

Its a 2 steps work:

1. First you let "DIYDodecad 1.01" analyse your 23andMe Raw Data File.
                    2. The Results of this you feed into "Dodecad Oracle v1"
                    You find both plus explanations here: http://dodecad.blogspot.com/
                    Last edited by Daniel72; 31 July 2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Hi,

There no guarantee FF will be better or worse for you. Depends on many factors but it doesn't hurt having your test in both databases.

Question is: Is Family Finder the same? (autosomal data) I heard they use the same chip while 23andme tests some 300k SNPs additional for medical questions.
                      Correct RF V3 is the same chip as FF Illumina, except RF V3 has custom SNPs and Illumina does not so it means a majority of the SNPs are the same.

It would only make sense to spend some more money, if tested SNPs are mostly different and also the Database is different.
                      690K SNPs are the same but the database is different.

Kind regards

Pascal
                      FTDNA is still working on the import of 23andMe data (V3 for sure) into FF and Ancestry.com into YDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                        They actually said it will happen in June at a southern CA convention.

Comment

DiyDodecad

How would I go about letting Diydodecad analyze my FTDNA raw file? I guess I am just having a hard time getting the DIyDodecad to download.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SteveG View Post
                            I guess I am just having a hard time getting the DIyDodecad to download.

Thanks
                            Try the mirror: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mgsyex

As for what to do next, I dont know (lol), I am part of the Dodecad Project (by this serving as one of the German references) and get my results from the project page.

---- just downloaded it from that mirror ------
                            Hmm. Its all explained in the "ReadMe" file, very detailed.

Comment

Hi,

Kind regards

Pascal
                              Pascal,

In my opinion, if you can do both tests it is beneficial. You will get matches with different people between the two companies, but FTDNA gives you the full name and email address of the people you match with. You may also get a surname list and Gedcom (family tree) if the person provides it. I have tested with both companies, and though I have fewer matches on FTDNA compared to 23andMe, the response on FTDNA has been better, and as I said, I have names so even if the person does not reply to a request to share genealogical info, I still have a name to research.

My closest match(s) on 23andMe is at the 4th cousin level, and at FTDNA I have a 3rd cousin match. However, if a person tests with either company who is a closer relation to you genetically, they will show up as a closer match. It really depends on your DNA signature and how many people test from the various ethnic ancestries, and if the people who test, are genetically related to you. I have been told that I have an unusual DNA signature. I am 1/2 Italian, and 1/2 Irish and Dutch, and I don't think as many Italians do DNA testing, so I have fewer matches compared to the majority of others with both companies, and very few appear to be Italian.

FTDNA has a growing but smaller database, but I have matches who reside in Europe. I have one Italian match who I believe was tested by a company called Igenea, and I think they do some of the European testing for FTDNA. My husband who is 1/2 Norwegian, has a fair amount of matches on FTDNA who have Norwegian and German names.

FTDNA just finished a sale where Family Finder was $199.00 US, but I am sure there will be another sale in the future. FTDNA does not have the monthly subscription fee that 23andMe does.

The two databases are significantly different regarding who tests where. So far, I only have one person who matches me at both companies.

If you are an adoptee, definitely test at both companies if you can as fishing in two ponds is better than one.

Judy
                              Last edited by nolnacsj; 31 July 2011, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X