How much DNA comes from each parent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much DNA comes from each parent?

Got my father's FF results back (and this is after FTDNA told me they needed another sample, whatever they had left over from the Y-DNA and mtDNA was not enough, but I guess they managed ) and when I do the chromosome browser from his kit to my kit, it looks like almost all my DNA came from him! How is this possible? Didn't I get anything from my mom?

See screenshot attached.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by brookes View Post
    Got my father's FF results back (and this is after FTDNA told me they needed another sample, whatever they had left over from the Y-DNA and mtDNA was not enough, but I guess they managed ) and when I do the chromosome browser from his kit to my kit, it looks like almost all my DNA came from him! How is this possible? Didn't I get anything from my mom?

See screenshot attached.
    Oh sure you got the same amount from your mother. Wait till next week when my new paper comes out with my family examples listed.

See this for now: http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...36&postcount=1

Go to the main Family Finder forum thread and this one is at the top under "How it Works #3"

Comment

Of the 46 nuclear chromosomes, 44 are capable of recombination & called autosomal. Family Tree DNA only looks at these 44, which are in 22 pairs, in Family Finder. Family Tree DNA can't determine which of the two chromosomes in the pair a particular strand of DNA came from, so they report results for all 44, as if they were 22. When looking at chromosome browser, you are looking at what is called "half matched" results. Both biological parents ALWAYS half match at 100%. Siblings should half match at about 75%. Aunts, uncles, & half-siblings should half match at about 50%, and so forth.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Ah, I see! Thank you. I'll read the thread Matt linked above, but why can't we tell which DNA came from which chromosome?

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
        Of the 46 nuclear chromosomes, 44 are capable of recombination & called autosomal. Family Tree DNA only looks at these 44, which are in 22 pairs, in Family Finder. Family Tree DNA can't determine which of the two chromosomes in the pair a particular strand of DNA came from, so they report results for all 44, as if they were 22. When looking at chromosome browser, you are looking at what is called "half matched" results. Both biological parents ALWAYS half match at 100%. Siblings should half match at about 75%. Aunts, uncles, & half-siblings should half match at about 50%, and so forth.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by brookes View Post
          Ah, I see! Thank you. I'll read the thread Matt linked above, but why can't we tell which DNA came from which chromosome?
          You can tell if you compare it to a parent and then when it matches it is probably from that parent and when it doesn't it is probably not. That's the short description of course.

You may want to just read the thread I linked earlier.

Comment

Working...
          X