Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matches with the Romanov Family

Hello,

The mtDNA of Tsar Nicholas II was identified with Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, grand-nephew of Tsarina Alexandra (Sister of Tsar Nicholas II, son of Princess Alice, 2nd dau. of Queen Victoria).

Question:
    Can Family Finder identify matches with the Romanov Royal Family with autosomal DNA?

Bob,
    Florida

Originally posted by mcclurera View Post
    Hello,

The mtDNA of Tsar Nicholas II was identified with Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, grand-nephew of Tsarina Alexandra (Sister of Tsar Nicholas II, son of Princess Alice, 2nd dau. of Queen Victoria).

Question:
    Can Family Finder identify matches with the Romanov Royal Family with autosomal DNA?

Bob,
    Florida
    Conceivably. Autosomal matches are relatively reliable (pun intended) to about the 5th cousin level. A fifth cousin ancestor might live around 1800, depending on the average generation time of the family.

Comment

Some that are reported to be 5th cousins are in fact, much more distant, with a MRCA around 1600 AD.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by mcclurera View Post
        Hello,

Question:

Bob,
        Florida
        What's the haplogroup?

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
          What's the haplogroup?
          I read somewhere that Tsar Nicholas II's mtDNA haplogroup was T2.

Comment

Well I guess if you can find relation to the British Royal family you then have relation to the Romanov's

See linked picture of Tsar Nicholas II and England's King George V

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NE-72ZXux-...g_George_V.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rover View Post
              Well I guess if you can find relation to the British Royal family you then have relation to the Romanov's

See linked picture of Tsar Nicholas II and England's King George V

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NE-72ZXux-...g_George_V.jpg
              They look like like brothers. Nearly twins. Can't tell them apart, except for the one on the left has a slightly broader face, and a slightly different hairline, but maybe it's just the photographer's angle and the lighting.
              Which one is Nicholas and which one is George?

edit: I would worry about anyone matching the Romanov's. What would happen to them? Will Russia reinstate the monarchy? Or are there still people in Russia (and elsewhere?) who would assassinate any remaining Romanov they can find?
              Last edited by rainbow; 9 June 2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                They look like like brothers. Nearly twins. Can't tell them apart, except for the one on the left has a slightly broader face, and a slightly different hairline, but maybe it's just the photographer's angle and the lighting.

edit: I would worry about anyone matching the Romanov's. What would happen to them? Will Russia reinstate the monarchy? Or are there still people in Russia (and elsewhere?) who would assassinate any remaining Romanov they can find?
                There's a guy who occasionally posts on this forum who claims to be the rightful prince of Russia from a much older dynasty. Apparently, he even sued the Kremlin to give back "his" property.

Comment

The Tsar is on the left.

Comment

Hvr

The article from 1994 didn't mention anything about their haplogroup. It only mentioned "hyper variable regions (HVR) of mitochondrial DNA."

I could email those privately.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rover View Post
                      The Tsar is on the left.

Thanks

Comment

Romanov DNA Details.

Y-STR haplotype for Nicholas, Alexei and Andrew
                        Romanov.
                        DYS19 DYS389I DYS389II DYS390 DYS391 DYS392 DYS393 DYS385a/b
                        14...........13........29..........24........10... ......13.......13......11, 14
                        DYS438 DYS439 DYS437 DYS448 DYS456 DYS458 DYS635 YGATAH4
                        12...........11........15..........19........16... ......17.......24........12
                        It is most likely R1b.

Two mtDNA sequences were found:
                        16111T, 16357C, 16519C, 263G, 315.1C, 524.1A; 524.2C Females
                        16111T, 16357C, 263G, 315.1C Tsar

I am too lazy to show the autosomal data, but it is only the typical FBI CODIS alleles.

See:
                        Mystery Solved: The Identification of the Two Missing
                        Romanov Children Using DNA Analysis

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0004838

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetch...esentation=PDF

Comment

False Claimants

DNA testing has proven the remains to be those of all the missing members of the Romanov family. Yet a family finder match to my mother, still makes the scurrilous claim that she is descended from Anastasia- complete with a family tree!
                          I realise, most of us have family trees created by matching records and family hearsay. We may occasionally get information wrong, but it is ridiculous this falsehood is still able to be displayed on a site dedicated to proven genetic matching.

Comment

Working...
                          X