use of "Known Relationship" assignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use of "Known Relationship" assignment

One of my distant matches has repeatedly selected me for a "Known Relationship" assignment. I have not been able to identify any relationship at all and believe we are only very distantly related.

Should the "Known Relationship" option be used in cases of no known relationship? Or should I continue deleting the assignment that my distant match is seeking?

USE IT! USE IT! USE IT! USE IT!

It is the only way people can see if they have matches in common with each other - which is probably what that person wants to see.

Choose "Distant" if you are worried about being accurate.

DO NOT WORRY about whether you have a known relation or not, its simply a tag that the system can use for more research.

I've assigned all of my close matches with this same tag even though I don't know most of the actual relationships.

MD.

Comment

I would think that they would at least email you and let you know what they are doing since they need you to confirm it for it to work.

Comment

Confirmed Known Relationship

Just what does a "known relationship" confirmed give you that is useful?
        John W

Comment

Originally posted by JSW View Post
          John W
          It allows you to see matches in common with your "known relationship" and can help figure our the relationship.

Comment

In my mind, it gives me a working relationship with a distant cousin, a way for us to work together over time to build a clearer picture of our relationship. As we find the common connections and mull over them we get encouraged to look at certain parts of our tree and do research to make the connection.

I wish the default for at least through 4th cousin was to set the known relationship as distant cousin and work from there. You would be able to tell your match much more when you emailed them. "Hey, you match my wife and her close match Bill" I sent something like at yesterday after sharing match lists and I think we are narrowing down on common Welsh ancestry and one surname to look into. It is one of my wife's dead ends. I could send something like this the first time if we had the common matches as default.

Comment

GST, I have the same problem. One distant match keeps sending me requests. I even confirmed the request just to see if we have any matches in common and we don't, so I deleted the request and they sent it again. At least email me if you're gonna keep doing that and tell me why.

Comment

I echo the 'USE IT'. A KR is not taking anything away from you. It costs you nothing except a mouse click. You're not giving up any personal information. Your account is not at risk. It's just between you & your match.

FamilyFinder is not a static project. Even if you have no matches in common today, you may very likely have them tomorrow. New tests are coming in every week

Please keep in mind that all FamilyFinder matches are definite relationships. It may be 4 generations, 10, or even 20. But it's a match, folks. I have paternal Ashkenazi Jewish. I have very little info on where my people came from in Europe so any match is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by JSW View Post
                  John W
                  I'll give my example. As of today, I have 28 pages of matches, 270-280. Approx 50 of them are "close & immediate". The remaining 230 are "speculative".
                  I have a paternal "Ashkenazi Jewish" effect, meaning I have a lot of matches based on a somewhat closed, cousins-intermarrying ancestry.
                  My maternal side is Irish Catholic & New England colonial.
                  On most of my KR's, I still have 50 - 140 matches in common because of the Jewish ancestry.
                  But one KR to a woman, JML, is interesting. She has Jewish ancesty from Poland so I assumed our commonality was Jewish. But our only match in common is a man, JAS, who does not appear to have any Jewish ancestry.
                  In turn, my KR to JAS shows a match in common with JML and another man, DMR. JML does not have this DMR in common, however.
                  In this way, I am ignoring JML's Jewish ancestry & focusing on her Irish Catholic background as I believe that is where our common ancestor is.
                  I hope this makes sense. It is a very useful tool for me, who otherwise has hundreds of surnames to wade through. Even for the Jewish side, it helps me to separate them into groups, even though I do not yet know which grandparent the relation is tied to.
                  Also, I use Chromosome Browser based on these matches in common.

Comment

Matches and confirmed relationships

I have results for a son, a daughter, 2 first cousins from my mom's side and 1 first cousin from my dad's side.

The one person who has entered a speculative relationship for the paternal side cousin cannot confirm where the link is--her data is speculative with no documentation. We have corresponded and I'm just not comfortable confirming the relationship until we have that paper link.

Just my opinion--others may thik differently!

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by irshgypsy View Post
                      I have results for a son, a daughter, 2 first cousins from my mom's side and 1 first cousin from my dad's side.

The one person who has entered a speculative relationship for the paternal side cousin cannot confirm where the link is--her data is speculative with no documentation. We have corresponded and I'm just not comfortable confirming the relationship until we have that paper link.

Just my opinion--others may thik differently!

MJ
                      The Family Finder match would strongly indicate a relationship. "Confirming" a distant relationship does no harm. It helps to whittle down just how one is related. It allows one to see which matches one shares with the other person. It is nothing to "worry" about as to how the realtion really does relate or not.

As John Olson pointed out, I wish this feature was automatic.

Linda

Comment

When you have an extensive paper trail you can usually find some commonality with matches who likewise have extensive paper trails. That's Step One. But it only works for a few people. Many others are going the DNA route because there are mysteries for which no paper trail is available.

When you have upwards of 300 matches who typically have nothing beyond their great-grandparents (if that!) the best thing to do is "divide and conquer" - separate your matches into groups rather than try to chase an MRCA for each one of 300 matches.

I have tried chromosome browser gymnastics, HIR, GEDMatch, comparing surnames (are all those Cohens related?), matches-in-common and have even mapped places where my matches had specific locations listed for their ancestors. Hopefully one or more of these methods will give up some clues.

Short answer - whatever works.

Gaye

Comment

Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
                          have tried chromosome browser gymnastics, HIR, GEDMatch, comparing surnames (are all those Cohens related?), matches-in-common and have even mapped places where my matches had specific locations listed for their ancestors. Hopefully one or more of these methods will give up some clues.
                          Short answer - whatever works.
                          Gaye
                          I was looking at a surname project and at one particular group. Of them all but two were within GD 7 and same surname or variant except one so no problems there.
                          But the other two were GD20+, and they had the same surname.
                          Studying the numbers and were the variants were it became very obvious that these two had a different haplogroup the the rest.
                          The other haplogroup was so far uprtream of the rest of them that it is hard to easily explain.
                          Could they have African American Ancestry this would explain a haplogroup divergance so large.
                          Was the heritage in England/France where two totally unrelated families adopted the same surname. Again this would explain it.
                          But it is not a mutational thing like overtime soomeone could have moved fron I to J Haplogroup over centuries. It is to great for something like that.
                          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by manoss View Post
                            I'll give my example. My maternal side is Irish Catholic & New England colonial.
                            But one KR to a woman, JML, is interesting. She has Jewish ancesty from Poland so I assumed our commonality was Jewish. But our only match in common is a man, JAS, who does not appear to have any Jewish ancestry.
                            In turn, my KR to JAS shows a match in common with JML and another man, DMR. JML does not have this DMR in common, however.
                            In this way, I am ignoring JML's Jewish ancestry & focusing on her Irish Catholic background as I believe that is where our common ancestor is.
                            Also, I use Chromosome Browser based on these matches in common.
                            You do not mention whether DMR is Irish/Jewish or both?
                            I like you triangulation method in eliminating what might have been a very cluttered search
                            Bob

Comment

If I was sent a known relationship request of 2nd cousin, & I responded with what I think the relationship really is, a 2nd cousin once removed, would I be able to see our matches in common? Or does the response have to exactly match the request?

Comment

Working...
                              X