Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutation rates of autosomal DNA

Hi,

My father's Family Finder results have arrived and I see that one third of his matches are on the approximately same part of chromosome 22. Are there differences in the mutation rates of the DNA on the different chromosomes? Does anyone else here have a huge part of their matches on chromosome 22?

Originally posted by k.o.gran View Post
    Hi,

My father's Family Finder results have arrived and I see that one third of his matches are on the approximately same part of chromosome 22. Are there differences in the mutation rates of the DNA on the different chromosomes? Does anyone else here have a huge part of their matches on chromosome 22?
    For autosomal DNA, mutations aren't the primary factor, it's recombination. When the chromosomes recombine, the DNA from your mother and father can switch from one haploid to the other. That's why the Y chromosome and mtDNA are so useful. The Y chromosome has sections that don't recombine, since it's much shorter than an X chromosome, and mtDNA only recombines with other copies of itself.

I share segments on chromosome 22 with only 2 of my 26 matches. If your father's matches share segments there (assuming they overlap), perhaps the matches are from the same line?

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
      For autosomal DNA, mutations aren't the primary factor, it's recombination. When the chromosomes recombine, the DNA from your mother and father can switch from one haploid to the other. That's why the Y chromosome and mtDNA are so useful. The Y chromosome has sections that don't recombine, since it's much shorter than an X chromosome, and mtDNA only recombines with other copies of itself.

I share segments on chromosome 22 with only 2 of my 26 matches. If your father's matches share segments there (assuming they overlap), perhaps the matches are from the same line?
      Thanks for explaining it to me.
      There is absolutely a chance all the matches are from the same line.

Comment

Working...
      X