No announcement yet.

How It Works 3 - for Newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Matt. That's very clear. I hadn't realized SNPs were composed of pairs, and that a match was declared if either half of the SNP matched.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by robdrew7; 22 June 2011, 02:38 PM. Reason: used a wrong term

Comment

pushed my paternal lineage to Northern Ireland

[QUOTE=mkdexter;324437]Now think about this. If she, the grandchild here, happens to have any person match in the blue area who also matches her father, that person is related to grandpa (father's father). If she happens to have any person match in the orange area who also matches her father, that person is related to grandma (father's mother).QUOTE]

It is important to know then, considering all matches would then be grouped according to Paternal or Maternal lines. My own chromosomes are 22 solid dark bars (no Parents), but I did notice two matches, which I know one to be Maternal and the other Paternal according to matching lineages. The Maternal on the top as indicated by the orange matches and the Paternal on the bottom as indicated by the blue matches. Odly enough in orange and blue respectively.

Is this telling me to organize the rest of the matches?

I'm not even familiar with which chromosome is is what or anything else. I have however pushed my paternal lineage to Northern Ireland by help interpreting a mutation in my YDNA.

Bob

Comment

Great explanation, Although I understand but didn't remember the exact concept so I saved it whenever I'll have the chance to make a initiative to find family I'll surely recall this. Thanks you guys. !!!!

Comment

Thank you Matt! A brilliant guide!

-Kai

PS: you're missing a word on page 10 as it starts with "Here the same brother".

Comment

This attachment in PDF format has a few updates to the other ones on this thread.

Matt.
            Attached Files

Comment

Dont forget to also click the download to excell link as it often shows more shared segments.

Comment

Interesting document Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                  This attachment in PDF format has a few updates to the other ones on this thread.

Matt.

Bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter
                    Please see attached PDF for information about the X chromosome and some sample comparisons to my family's tests.

Matt Dexter.
                    ditto Bravo.

Comment

Thank you,

Matt.

Comment

Great job, Matt! I have a decent of understanding of X inheritance, in theory. But seeing actual examples makes it much clearer.

Do you know if John Olson or anyone else has a tally of (anonymous) X chromosome comparisons and their actual relationships? It would be incredibly helpful if there was a public database, so good statistics on recombination could be computed.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                          Great job, Matt! I have a decent of understanding of X inheritance, in theory. But seeing actual examples makes it much clearer.

Do you know if John Olson or anyone else has a tally of (anonymous) X chromosome comparisons and their actual relationships? It would be incredibly helpful if there was a public database, so good statistics on recombination could be computed.
                          John had an interest the other day and I would not be surprised if he's trying to find some now.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                            Unfortunately, I don't track actual relationships, so I don't have any way of correlating that with X matches. That's one reason I was glad to see Matt publish the comparison of his family. I would encourage others who have had their family tested for several generations to do the same.

Comment

X-Chromosome Sharing from my kits

corrected a table that stated 100% when I meant 50%. The wording is right, the text in the table had a typo.. Corrected here...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JOlson View Post
                                Unfortunately, I don't track actual relationships, so I don't have any way of correlating that with X matches. That's one reason I was glad to see Matt publish the comparison of his family. I would encourage others who have had their family tested for several generations to do the same.
                                Would it be possible to do the next best thing, and estimate the relationship based on the amount of shared autosomal DNA? Parent-child relationships should be fairly consistent. Then determine whether it's maternal or paternal depending on the sex of the parent, which you could tell based on whether they have one or two alleles for each bp on the X chromosome. Would something like that even be feasible, or do I assume too much? I'm not trying to make more work for you; just thinking out loud.

Comment

Working...
                                X