Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affy to Illumina conversions complete?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I received one new Illumina match overnight. This one was 4th to distant and was not a conversion.

    Scoreboard now:
    65 Affy
    60 Illumina including 24 conversions (36 Illumina only)

    That is a 37% conversion rate

    Comment


    • FTDNA has written to me that the "reason for switching to the new platform is that it is more accurate than the Affy chip was. Due to this, yes, all Affy chip matches will be removed".

      This makes no sense in so far as removing Affy matches. No reason for FTDNA to not let them be, with a disclaimer as I have advocated for, that FTDNA will not support questions and so on as to the Affy data.

      Why am I advocating for letting the data be? Because there is no such thing as a "true positive" result yet, as to autosomal DNA data. The Affy chip was too sensitive and gave too many false positive results. The Illumina chip may be too specific and give too many false negative results.

      The limit as to what is acceptable for people who have taken an FF test as to the risk of false positive or negative results, depends on why they took a test. For adoptees, or people who only know who one biological parent was, or who have a grandparent or whoever who was adopted - just examples as to dilemmas, eliminating potentially truly positive results by deleting Affy data, could hinder their pursuit in finding their family roots.

      Comment


      • Well like I said they don't support Affy anymore so they are going to remove it. I doubt they'll change their mind.

        They were working on a final announcement but I'm not sure where it went. I haven't asked and figured we would see something one of these days.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Peacock100 View Post
          FTDNA has written to me that the "reason for switching to the new platform is that it is more accurate than the Affy chip was. Due to this, yes, all Affy chip matches will be removed".

          This makes no sense in so far as removing Affy matches. No reason for FTDNA to not let them be, with a disclaimer as I have advocated for, that FTDNA will not support questions and so on as to the Affy data.

          Why am I advocating for letting the data be? Because there is no such thing as a "true positive" result yet, as to autosomal DNA data. The Affy chip was too sensitive and gave too many false positive results. The Illumina chip may be too specific and give too many false negative results.

          The limit as to what is acceptable for people who have taken an FF test as to the risk of false positive or negative results, depends on why they took a test. For adoptees, or people who only know who one biological parent was, or who have a grandparent or whoever who was adopted - just examples as to dilemmas, eliminating potentially truly positive results by deleting Affy data, could hinder their pursuit in finding their family roots.
          I wanted to say that I agree with you 100%. I am an adoptee, and I am afraid that some of the Affy matches that I have been in communication with during the past year, will no longer be as interested in helping me if we do not also match on Illumina.

          I think your idea of FTDNA keeping the Affy data but stating that they no longer provide technical support related to it, has merit.

          Judy

          Comment


          • Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
            I wanted to say that I agree with you 100%. I am an adoptee, and I am afraid that some of the Affy matches that I have been in communication with during the past year, will no longer be as interested in helping me if we do not also match on Illumina.

            I think your idea of FTDNA keeping the Affy data but stating that they no longer provide technical support related to it, has merit.

            Judy
            Yes, Judy, that is what I am trying to get FTDNA to consider. You might write to them too and anyone else, reading this thread, who has this concern.

            Linda

            Comment


            • Any else get a bunch of new matches yesterday?

              4 new Family Finder matches suddenly showed up yesterday. (By my standards, that's "a bunch"!)

              They never show up when filtered by "new since last log-in," though. So be sure to look at your match total numbers (a tip someone else suggested) to catch these.

              Comment


              • As said before, if you login to your kit in the morning and then FTDNA uploads new kits in the afternoon you won't see them in the new since last login.. The trick is to wait until the end of the day to login to your kit... The new since last login timer never resets once you login that morning.. so nothing loaded to the database after you login is new - for that day. It goes on a per day basis, not a real per login basis.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                  As said before, if you login to your kit in the morning and then FTDNA uploads new kits in the afternoon you won't see them in the new since last login.. The trick is to wait until the end of the day to login to your kit... The new since last login timer never resets once you login that morning.. so nothing loaded to the database after you login is new - for that day. It goes on a per day basis, not a real per login basis.
                  I gave up trying to use that filter. It may be operating the way FTDNA wants it to, but it doesn't work the way I want it to.

                  Comment


                  • I see my Affy results are still in place yet the notice still reads: "your Affymetrix results will be removed from the system on Tuesday, May 10th".

                    Is FTDNA management still "looking into" the situation?

                    Comment


                    • They're probably just waiting until the last of the Affy chips are converted (still some to go).

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                        They're probably just waiting until the last of the Affy chips are converted (still some to go).
                        That and the fact they have been at conferences and out of the office.

                        Comment


                        • Farewell to Affy

                          Comment


                          • Auf wiedersehen to Affy.
                            Last edited by gtc; 20 June 2011, 12:15 PM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X