• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
    Help! Can't post! What's happening?
    One more try...Nope, didn't work.

Comment

One more try...Nope, didn't work.
      Certain characters screw up the software running this forum. I tried copy/paste directly from my PF results, but the single character for +/- would cut off the rest of the post. Lots of people have had similar experiences.

Comment

I've been surveyed for the second time in one week with new PF results tonight for my dad.

last week - same as original Illumina PF results:
        Europe (Southern European) Tuscan 63.75% MOE 16.31%
        Middle East Druze, Jewish, Palestinian 36.25% MOE 16.31%

tonight:
        Europe Basque, Spanish, Tuscan 58.19% MOE 14.78%
        Middle East Druze, Jewish, Palestinian 41.81% MOE 14.78%

I'm glad the margin of error is coming down, and the Basque/Spanish is particularly interesting. His maternal grandmother was born out of wedlock, and years ago I found that she had listed a Spanish sounding surname as her father's name on her SSI application. After checking the Italian white pages, I found that the surname was concentrated mainly in the Venice area (far from where we're from) which historically had a strong Spanish presence. It looks like PF and the paper trail might be confirming each other.

(MOE = margin of error) Thank you, Nathanm!
        Last edited by vinnie; 6 April 2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

More new results tonight, this time for Mom.

Original Illumina PF: 100% Middle Eastern Jewish MOE .01%

tonight:

Middle East Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Jewish, Mozabite, Palestinian 59.48% MOE 22.44%

Europe Sardinian, Spanish, Tuscan, French 40.52% MOE 22.44%

With that high of a MOE, I expect further refinement. But these results seem more in keeping with Sicily's history. Additionally, I found her maiden name listed as a medieval Jewish French/Spanish surname in an old French surname book, so again, the two sources might be confirming each other.

Comment

Latest w/survey:
            http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2...nder462011.png

Continent (Subcontinent) Population Percentage Margin of Error
            Europe Basque, French, Orcadian 68.77%
            Middle East (Jewish) Jewish 31.23%

Comment

Here are my revised Population Finder results

Continent (Subcontinent) - Europe (Western European)
              Population: Orcadian - 99.20%
              http://i52.tinypic.com/10ojmg1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by DelawareNative View Post
                I wish FTDNA would send me a heritage survey - the more we share, the more info they can sort out...then they can get this PF calibrated, and therefore we'll have accurate results - or am I oversimplifying it?
                Giving them your known ancestry will probably help but could also hinder. When I say this, it's not directed at you but a general statement. I have seen many people make up things on their ancestors that are not true. My ancestors have been mutilated with false info because there are many people who dont know how to research. I don't think FTDNA has the time to check and make sure everyone's trees are correct. This is why in order for FTDNA to get AI DNA it has to come from tribal members who are documented as Indian. There are plenty of people out there who claim Indian but have no documentation to prove it. Those people would not make good DNA test subjects for these kinds of tests. Most of the tribes with documentation will not give up their DNA and I dont blame them

Comment

More new results tonight, this time for Mom.

Original Illumina PF: 100% Middle Eastern Jewish MOE .01%

tonight:

Middle East Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Jewish, Mozabite, Palestinian 59.48% MOE 22.44%

Europe Sardinian, Spanish, Tuscan, French 40.52% MOE 22.44%

With that high of a MOE, I expect further refinement. But these results seem more in keeping with Sicily's history. Additionally, I found her maiden name listed as a medieval Jewish French/Spanish surname in an old French surname book, so again, the two sources might be confirming each other.
                  Forgot to add that one of her ancestors has a surname that is most likely of Spanish origin, and another that might be Arabic, but I've yet to research that. Possibly more cooperation between PF and the paper trail.

Comment

Working...
                  X