No announcement yet.

Significance of "orcadian" on PF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dienekes comments are pretty much in line with my experience in running my DNA (and my family's DNA) through these different admixture/affinity tests.

Receiving a list of countries in your results doesn't necesarrily mean you have ancestry from all of those places, if at all. It's fool's gold. The totality of your results are indicating an average spot on the map, depending on the reference samples used. Trying to define the population references is just one of the tricky parts to the analysis. References that work well for one population, may not work quite as well, for another.

So for all of the odd Middle East scores coupled with Orkney that are occuring, it just means that your average ancestry on the map is being plotted somewhere's between Orkney and the Middle East samples. Doesn't mean you actually have Orkney ancestry and whatever Middle East ancestry it labeled you as. It probably isn't even appropriate to label these countries/populations (in the results) if we're talking about "Ancient" DNA here. It only gives people the wrong impression.

Comment

I'm 100% Europe (Orcadian).

http://i54.tinypic.com/11ki22o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by aidan View Post
        I'm 100% Europe (Orcadian).

http://i54.tinypic.com/11ki22o.jpg
        Actually you are 100% European. Orcadian is simply indicative of what gave you the European reading.

To be European instead of European (Western) 100%, or Orcadian 100%, your SNPs touched on a multiple sub-continental buckets, mostly European (Western) but others too such Southern or Eastern or one of the others but not with enough strength to be listed.
        Last edited by mkdexter; 22 March 2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
          Actually you are 100% European. Orcadian is simply indicative of what gave you the European reading.

To be European instead of European (Western) 100%, or Orcadian 100%, your SNPs touched on a multiple sub-continental buckets, mostly European (Western) but others too such Southern or Eastern or one of the others but not with enough strength to be listed.
          Thanks Matt!

Comment

Another timely topic for me ....

My PF Results show 56.49% Europe and 43.51 Middle Eastern. Below the map it says Orcadian 56.49%.

My brother's PF results are quite different ... 74.94% Europe and 25.06 Middle Eastern. Beneath the map, it says the European portion is French, Orcadian, Romanian, and Spanish.

What sort of clues would this give me in relation to British Isles ancestry back at 2GGF or 3GGF level? (1700s-1800s)? And given that Orcadian was detected in both of us (but for me, SOLELY Orcadian), does this point to possible Scots-Irish ancestry somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeTyler View Post
              Another timely topic for me ....

My PF Results show 56.49% Europe and 43.51 Middle Eastern. Below the map it says Orcadian 56.49%.

My brother's PF results are quite different ... 74.94% Europe and 25.06 Middle Eastern. Beneath the map, it says the European portion is French, Orcadian, Romanian, and Spanish.

What sort of clues would this give me in relation to British Isles ancestry back at 2GGF or 3GGF level? (1700s-1800s)? And given that Orcadian was detected in both of us (but for me, SOLELY Orcadian), does this point to possible Scots-Irish ancestry somewhere?
              Dee did you look at the earlier posts on this thread? They may show you some answers there too.

Yes Orcadian points to possible Scots-Irish ancestry.

Both of your tests say European instead of European Western so they mean there are a lot of different sub-continental SNPs showing up for Europe. In other words it looks like your ancestry comes from many places in Europe with slightly more being Scot-Irish-English for you and Scot-Irish-English plus others for your brother. You probably have the others too just not as much as your brother.

Difficult to say what samples were hit though as they were weak hits and didn't show themselves. Both of your PF readings look like a mixture of many European samples plus Mid Eastern is my own conclusion.

As to what clues this gives you is that some of your ancestry, most of it, comes from a variety of places in Europe but the majority of them are probably from the British Isles - yes. There is nothing that can distinguish north, west, central, etc., though so who's to say if its Scottish or Irish or another area. The SNPs are too close. The Orcadian sampling is a good indicator that the British Isles area are in your ancestry but that's not always going to be definite. The SNPs matching Orcadian sampling also come from a broad range in Europe as well. No real borders here.

MD.
              Last edited by mkdexter; 24 March 2011, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks mk

Yes I did read through the other posts, but SO MUCH of this is over my head, and it doesn't help that I can only focus on it in little spurts at a time. I anxiously await a "DNA for Dummies" book (hehehehe).

Yes, we do have mixed European ancestry. More immediate ancestors come from Germany (2GGP), Poland (GGP) and Sicily (GP). From what I understand through DNA 5th and later cousin connections I'm getting (both here and at 23 and Me), there are Ashkenazi connections, seemingly with the Polish ancestors ... and that also Middle Eastern could also come in through the Sicilian side much farther back. So that explains the Middle Eastern side.

But, the British Isles evidence is encouraging news for me. Our paternal DNA doesn't jive with other descendants of our "supposed" immigrant ancestor, and it seems the majority in the surname study are R1b. It's a puzzle as to the origin of our R1a but pieces are starting to come together in little bits at a time.

Comment

Have you done a deep clad Y DNA on your brother (I assume full brother here) to see if he's from R1b and if so which tested haplogroup?
                  Last edited by mkdexter; 24 March 2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I've seen a lot of posts about PF and how a lot of people are getting around 90% Western European (Orcadian) and 10% Middle Eastern (me included). How do they know what other people are getting? Is it from the forum or is there some way to get a break down of all results?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                      Have you done a deep clad Y DNA on your brother (I assume full brother here) to see if he's from R1b and if so which tested haplogroup?
                      Matt: based on Dee's signature her brother has tested R1a through a deep clade test, so another deep clade test is not necessary. There have been more useful SNPs found since that test, but you can almost always predict SNPs of R1a from 67 STRs. Depending on your STRs, you may want to test a particular SNP. Dee, feel free to send me your Ysearch ID by PM or post it in this thread and I should be able to help you with this.

Comment

Thanks Javelin ... YSearch ID is given in my "signature" beneath the deep clade results. I will send additional info via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                          Matt: based on Dee's signature her brother has tested R1a through a deep clade test, so another deep clade test is not necessary. There have been more useful SNPs found since that test, but you can almost always predict SNPs of R1a from 67 STRs. Depending on your STRs, you may want to test a particular SNP. Dee, feel free to send me your Ysearch ID by PM or post it in this thread and I should be able to help you with this.
                          you're right. I didn't check the signature.

Comment

Originally posted by maclib View Post
                            I've seen a lot of posts about PF and how a lot of people are getting around 90% Western European (Orcadian) and 10% Middle Eastern (me included). How do they know what other people are getting? Is it from the forum or is there some way to get a break down of all results?
                            Thanks
                            The forum..

Comment

Working...
                            X