• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • econnore
    mtDNA: H1ak
    • Aug 2010

Reading too much into PF?

I'm excited that the new, improved population finder is here. Here is my breakdown:

Continent (Subcontinent) Population %
    Europe (Western European) French, Orcadian, Spanish 86.93%
    Europe Tuscan, Finnish, Romanian, Russian 13.07%

This breakdown is just like before but the population groups are new. Orcadian and Spanish are totally new concepts to me. Finnish and Romanian are understandable given some of my FF matches and my cousin's yDNA matches. Interestingly, in the new map, Portugal, Norway, Moldova, Germany, Switzerland and Bulgaria are blank (not colored in).
  • JuanCarlos
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2007

So is Portugal now one of the countries represented? Under Affy, a Portuguese person was usually classified as Western Europe, which included Spain as well. Is Spanish ancestry now specifically mentioned in the new results as well, or does it continue to be just Western European?

Comment

• econnore
      • Aug 2010

scroll down on the PF page

Originally posted by JuanCarlos View Post
      So is Portugal now one of the countries represented? Under Affy, a Portuguese person was usually classified as Western Europe, which included Spain as well. Is Spanish ancestry now specifically mentioned in the new results as well, or does it continue to be just Western European?
      If you scroll down on the PF page results, you will see more specific information. Not sure why my map had Spain colored in but left Portugal blank.

Comment

• JuanCarlos
        FTDNA Customer
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by econnore View Post
        If you scroll down on the PF page results, you will see more specific information. Not sure why my map had Spain colored in but left Portugal blank.
        Thanks, but I have not received my converted results yet. I am trying to gather as much info from others to see what changes have taken place.

Comment

• gijoeinfinity
          • Mar 2010

I'd be very careful about over-interpreting results. The list of countries just means PF could not determine which place your autosomal DNA best matches. It does not mean you have ancestry in all of those place, if at all.

All of the countries/populations I have in my results do not match my known ancestry whatsoever.

Comment

• Yaffa
            • May 2007

Originally posted by gijoeinfinity View Post
            I'd be very careful about over-interpreting results. The list of countries just means PF could not determine which place your autosomal DNA best matches. It does not mean you have ancestry in all of those place, if at all.

All of the countries/populations I have in my results do not match my known ancestry whatsoever.
            What did you come up with now on the new PF??? My ME is now gone and all my Western Europe is French Orcadian

Comment

• econnore
              • Aug 2010

The list of countries just means PF could not determine which place your autosomal DNA best matches. It does not mean you have ancestry in all of those place, if at all.
              I did not see anything like this in the information about the new PF. Do you have inside information?

Comment

• mkdexter
                FTDNA Customer
                • Dec 2009

I did not see anything like this in the information about the new PF. Do you have inside information?
                PF works by a 3 tiered system. You can find a lot of information on it in the PF FAQ pages.

If you have a really strong match to a population group then you will be assigned to that group.

If your match is not strong enough to a specific group (there are many reasons for this) then you are assigned a sub-continental group.

If your match is still not strong enough to a specific sub-continental group you are assigned the continental group instead.

Comment

• mkdexter
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Dec 2009

I'm excited that the new, improved population finder is here. Here is my breakdown:

Continent (Subcontinent) Population %
                  Europe (Western European) French, Orcadian, Spanish 86.93%
                  Europe Tuscan, Finnish, Romanian, Russian 13.07%

Basically you have some Tuscan, Finnish, Romanian and Russian indicators but nothing very strong. You have some stronger readings for French, Orcadian and Spanish but nothing specific of just one population group whether French or Orcadian or Spanish. These three being present, but none of them overpowering the other, you were assigned to Western Euro based on their presence.

MD.

Comment

• gijoeinfinity
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                    What did you come up with now on the new PF??? My ME is now gone and all my Western Europe is French Orcadian
                    47.04% Cambodian +/- 0.35%
                    41.93% Russian/Finnish +/- 2.04%
                    11.03% Jewish, Palestinian +/- 1.81%

Basically, no different from my Affy Chip results, just a little more ME. It's actually not too far off from Doug McDonald's analysis (his last one gave me 50% Orkney, 41-47% Cambodian, 3-9% Siberian, but he admitted he could not figure out my European admixture). But I remain baffled as to why I continue to show up as Russian/Finnish when my father's ancestry is mainly NW European.

The 11+% ME result does not make sense to me at all, but my father's family actually got 10+% ME themselves this time around. After browsing around and seeing many other people's results, seems there is a very high incidence of people getting approximately 90% Orkney and 10% undifferentiated ME. I'm thinking PF will perhaps need some tweaking.

Comment

• gijoeinfinity
                      • Mar 2010

It's basically what I glean from reading the PF help and my personal experience with admixture tests. One must keep in mind what populations are being used and that your results are basically what the program is thinking is the "best" fit sometimes in compensation for lacking certain representative samples. In other words, the "best" fit is not always the right mixture.

Comment

• econnore
                        • Aug 2010

I read that information, too, but didn't interpret from it what you said...."The list of countries just means PF could not determine which place your autosomal DNA best matches. It does not mean you have ancestry in all of those place, if at all."

I have many locations in my ancestry.

Comment

• Yaffa
                          • May 2007

47.04% Cambodian +/- 0.35%
                          41.93% Russian/Finnish +/- 2.04%
                          11.03% Jewish, Palestinian +/- 1.81%

Basically, no different from my Affy Chip results, just a little more ME. It's actually not too far off from Doug McDonald's analysis (his last one gave me 50% Orkney, 41-47% Cambodian, 3-9% Siberian, but he admitted he could not figure out my European admixture). But I remain baffled as to why I continue to show up as Russian/Finnish when my father's ancestry is mainly NW European.

The 11+% ME result does not make sense to me at all, but my father's family actually got 10+% ME themselves this time around. After browsing around and seeing many other people's results, seems there is a very high incidence of people getting approximately 90% Orkney and 10% undifferentiated ME. I'm thinking PF will perhaps need some tweaking.

Yes I think it needs some tweaking too. More people got Middle East have no clue where it came from. I lost Middle East and all my Europe is French Ocadian. I spoke to a few admins of DNA projects and they are seeing strange results too and will be informing FTDNA

Comment

• genopj
                            • Feb 2011

Not reading too much into it

My PF state I'm 100% Orcadian . The majority of my ancestors were from Scotland and England.
                            My paper trail says I'm probably about 7/8 English and Scottish - definitely not 100%.
                            PF didn't show any Swiss (g-g grandfather) or any of the other bits and pieces - Spanish/Jewish/Azorian/Tunisian, from 6 generations back ; or the Eastern European Jewish ancestors who immigrated to England in the 1700's

I'm surprised it didn't show the Swiss but didn't expect the rest to show up.
                            I think they are playing it very safe with PF.

The bits and pieces showed up with another company I tested with (Fingerprint test). Scottish /English strongest match then all the other bits and pieces in the top 10
                            Last edited by genopj; 18 March 2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• mkdexter
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Dec 2009

If you are mostly Scottish and English then 100% Orcadian is correct in PF, especially the other % you mention is a non-sampled population.

MD

Comment

Working...
                              X