Illumina PF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    That's a very good point. If that's so, it probably explains the low level ME percentages showing up in people with only northern European ancestry.

As for those with southern European ancestry, I still think that FTDNA will have to finetune the way they analyze southern Italians and Sicilians in PF. It is a fact that southern Italians/Sicilians, Greeks and Jews are very close in biogeographic ancestry plots. However, the Dodecad Project, which accepts PF results from FTDNA and 23andMe results, has reported that Greeks and southern Italians/Sicilians form a unique cluster with no one else in it when analyzed by population genetics software.

It's ironic that an amateur anthropologist who is performing free analysis of Family Finder and 23andMe results is more accurate and sophisticated in what he puts out than the commercial companies. So it seems that FTDNA should be able to finetune PF and replicate what he's done.
    Yes Dienekes can even separate turks and armenians with his cluster analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by annihilus View Post
      The results from McDonald are the same as with 23andme data now.
      Affymetrix or Illumina? I didn't send in my Affy data, even if my Illumina results are the same as what I got with the 23andMe raw data it's still extra backup so to speak.

Comment

With Illumina, it has the same snp's used by McDonald as 23andme.

Comment

With Illumina, it has the same snp's used by McDonald as 23andme.
          Gotcha, either way it's still an option for those who've not tested with 23andMe and still want McDonald to analyze their raw data.

Comment

The results from McDonald are the same as with 23andme data now.
            Yeah this is true. He analysed my Illumina and it wasn't different from my 23andme data.

So don't expect his analysis to change if you submitted your 23andme data.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
              Not saying your results are accurate but mid -Late 1800's many Ashkenazi Jews came to the US in that time frame. Also possibly Christian Polish or German immigrants too
              Should have mentioned, no record of any Ashkenzki ancestry for anyone in my family and no where near the number of 23andMe RF match counts (not even enough to have the Ashkeanzi correction applied incorrectly yet, father around 350, mother around 180) or any noteable Ashkenzi shares in their AF. In other words as previously stated, the PF results are ridiculous and I can only imagine some sort of error.
              Last edited by Geneadict; 18 March 2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to be nice and patient, but it's been almost 4 months of waiting - and for incorrect results.

FTDNA needs to do some major damage control here; they owe us an explanation.

Comment

I have a simple question (I hope) ... when I first went to the Population Finder page I had a little multiple-choice question thing that asked me if I matched any of a series of ancestries (Jewish, Caucasus, Middle Eastern, etc). Because I've been finding a number of connections to Ashkenazi in distant cousins on 23 and Me, I selected Jewish. But I'm realizing I probably should have chosen "None of the above" instead, because I'm not sure how far back the Ashkenazi connection is.

So ... would there be any way to recall that survey question so that I can change my answer?

Comment

Originally posted by ahernandez View Post
                    Pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

European (Western European) Spanish, French - 71.5%
                    Middle Eastern (North African) Mozabite
                    where is Middle Eastern (North African) ancestry coming from? If you don't mind sharing

Comment

• Originally posted by dawer View Post
                      where is Middle Eastern (North African) ancestry coming from? If you don't mind sharing
                      Never mind, sorry, it took me a while to catch up to the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by CAM View Post
                        Orcadians, who reside primarily in Orkney, are the descendants of Iron Age Picts,[1][Notes 1] Norwegian Vikings and Scots. Because Orkney is a trading hub Orcadians are found all over the world. From the online dictionary
                        Cheryl
                        The definition Orcadians for Population Finder refers to the whole of the British Isles including all offshore Island. I believe that the reason this population was selected to represent the British Isles hence this part of Western Europe is that
                        it is an isolated population.
                        Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                          And where did they inherit their genes from? Ancestors from five generations before that. And their ancestors? Five gen-- ah, I think you get the picture.
                          Are there not some very specific tests that are available to prove this one way or another?
                          Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by Geneadict View Post

My parents new Illumina PF look ridiculous.

Had no idea my father was 92.13% Orcadian and 7.87% Middle East (Palestine,Adygie,Druze,Iranian,Jewish,Mozabite) when all of his mothers ancestors came from Mecklenberg-Schwerin, Germany in mid-late 1800s and his paternal grandmother's parent also came from Germany in late 1800s (one from Wuertemberg and one from what is now Poland). His paternal grandfather did have Colonial American roots and would most likely be Orcadian.

Or that my mother is 100% French with 7/8ths of her ancestors coming from places like Danzig/Gdansk, Stralsund, Stuttgart, Pollenzig/Polecko near Frankfurt-Oder in the mid-late 1800s and the other 1/8th being PA Deutsch from Lehigh Co., PA where I can possibly see some (but not all) of the Palatianate/Alsace-Lorriaine Germans being very close to the French.

And they somehow gave me 86.07% Euro-West (French, Orcadian, Spanish) and 13.93% Euro (Tuscan, Finnish, Romanian, Russian) DNA.

Amazing.
                            What about the Scots and Irish that served in the many European Armies?
                            Then there was inter country migrations as well?
                            What Does Orcadian mean?
                            Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by tpibob View Post
                              What Does Orcadian mean?
                              It means the region of the Orkney Islands:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney

That is used as a proxy by all such researchers for the UK because there is no publicly available data for the UK ... yet.

A number of us eagerly await that situation to improve when the People of the British Isles Project publishes its data:

http://www.peopleofthebritishisles.org/

Unfortunately for those of Irish descent, as it currently stands, the project is confined to the political boundaries of Britain, thus only Northern Ireland is currently included.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtc View Post
                                It means the region of the Orkney Islands:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney

That is used as a proxy by all such researchers for the UK because there is no publicly available data for the UK ... yet.

A number of us eagerly await that situation to improve when the People of the British Isles Project publishes its data:

http://www.peopleofthebritishisles.org/

Unfortunately for those of Irish descent, as it currently stands, the project is confined to the political boundaries of Britain, thus only Northern Ireland is currently included.
                                One of my matches told me she was given a British Isles %

Comment

Working...
                                X