Maybe I was hallucinating, but I saw Illumina results for about 15 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I was hallucinating, but I saw Illumina results for about 15 seconds

I logged on after getting back from lunch, and what I saw didn't make sense:
    still no mention of Illumina in the left column - only Affy - but the matches on the 1st page were mostly new names, including a 3rd cousin I hadn't seen before. I clicked on something else and <POOF!> it reverted to the very familiar Affy list of matches... I've logged out and in a couple more times and can't replicate this happening. Mirage? Too much Absinthe with lunch???

anybody else seeing UFOs?

Maybe the info was meant for someone else's page. Maybe the IT was just practicing and was testing to see how the page looked but they didn't expect you to see it.
    Or you got a glimpse of the rough draft meant for your page.

I had a moment like that when I got lucky last year when I logged into my FTDNA personal page and my MTDNA FGS results were posted. It was freshly posted and the email notifications weren't sent yet. But mine didn't disappear.

On 23andme last year I had a new Relative Finder match who disappeared the same day. That was when 23andme had a mix-up of several dozen people (between 60 and 100?). That match never came back because it was a mistake.

Comment

Well, it hasn't reappeared on *my* page yet - but I was just contacted by the mother of my new 3rd cousin - so I am obviously visible in her results page.

We also match on 23andMe. Both testing companies see the same one large segment, 17cM on ch 12. But 23andMe reports only the one segment and predicts us as "Distant Cousin, 4th to 10th" whereas FF Illumina predicts us to be 3rd cousins, with a total of 54cM shared.

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
      Maybe the info was meant for someone else's page. Maybe the IT was just practicing and was testing to see how the page looked but they didn't expect you to see it.
      Or you got a glimpse of the rough draft meant for your page.

I had a moment like that when I got lucky last year when I logged into my FTDNA personal page and my MTDNA FGS results were posted. It was freshly posted and the email notifications weren't sent yet. But mine didn't disappear.

On 23andme last year I had a new Relative Finder match who disappeared the same day. That was when 23andme had a mix-up of several dozen people (between 60 and 100?). That match never came back because it was a mistake.

Comment

A 17 cM is big. Should be at least a 4th or 5th cousin.
        23andme changes 4th and 5th cousin RF matches to Distant Cousin if one of the people claims to be Ashkenazi. Maybe that is why it disappeared from your FTDNA page. Maybe FTDNA is re-working the calculations to adjust for Askenazi and they haven't changed the other person's page yet.

Comment

Well, in my case, there is no claim or evidence of Ashkenazi roots, but apparently my deep-rooted Colonial ancestry has given me 700 cousins on 23andMe, 98% of which are "distant". So the Ashkenazi adjustment factor is working on me as well.

23andme changes 4th and 5th cousin RF matches to Distant Cousin if one of the people claims to be Ashkenazi. Maybe that is why it disappeared from your FTDNA page. Maybe FTDNA is re-working the calculations to adjust for Askenazi and they haven't changed the other person's page yet.

Comment

Dwight.

I saw some Illumina matches on my account but the person who manages them told me these relatives (of his) don't show any Illumina results in their accounts yet... So I see them but the owner doesn't.

So no.. you weren't hallucinating (as far as we know)..

Comment

Invisible to owner

Today I corresponded with someone whose new Illumina conversion showed them to be a 2nd cousin to my uncle. Same problem - she cannot see the Illumina results, but my uncle shows that the conversion has occurred. Obviously there is yet another IT glitch.

vivian, whose Illumina results have not yet been converted; waaah!

Comment

I wonder if this is related to a problem I am seeing. In the Chromosome browser, I can see the matching segments for any of the people in my match list. But when I try to download to excel, the resulting file will have the matching segments for some people, but for other people the excel file produced is empty (except for the header row).

Comment

Originally posted by smallaxe View Post
                  I wonder if this is related to a problem I am seeing. In the Chromosome browser, I can see the matching segments for any of the people in my match list. But when I try to download to excel, the resulting file will have the matching segments for some people, but for other people the excel file produced is empty (except for the header row).
                  Yep, I think that's what it is. It appears FTDNA (or their IT team) is doing the updates piece by piece instead of all-at-once.
                  Maybe one IT person is handling Dwigh's page updates and another IT person is handling his 3rd cousin's page. Maybe one IT person did update your match list in your Chromosone Browser, but another IT person is handling the excel but he/she didn't finish it yet.

Comment

No, not the same. The chromosome download is a bug that I reported last week. This is something new.. Just some slow updating in the system most likely.

Comment

Hallucinating?

My issue isn't with FF results, but I do have a deep clade R test pending that I just ordered last week and when I check my haplotree it shows my haplogroup as R1b1a2a1a1b4.

As of now all I know is predicted as R1b1a2 so I ordered the deep clade. I will wait and see if my deep clade in fact comes out to be what it is showing now even before my test has been done. Seems like something fishy if it works out that R1b1a2a1a1b4 is in fact what my future results show.

This hallucination isn't constant but it does appear frequently.

Comment

Right now, in Chromosome Browser, I can only download to Excel, my three converted Affy matches who are now in my Illumina results, but for any brand new Illumina matches, I still get the blank sheet you get.

Judy

Comment

I also have a new 3rd cousin and we share 50.37 cM total, with a longest block of 24.66 cM.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by dwight View Post
                            Well, it hasn't reappeared on *my* page yet - but I was just contacted by the mother of my new 3rd cousin - so I am obviously visible in her results page.

We also match on 23andMe. Both testing companies see the same one large segment, 17cM on ch 12. But 23andMe reports only the one segment and predicts us as "Distant Cousin, 4th to 10th" whereas FF Illumina predicts us to be 3rd cousins, with a total of 54cM shared.
                            Dwight, GREAT!!!!!!

I actually got one new match today. I wasn't expecting a mid-week match result to show up, a pleasent surprise! So, something happened today for sure.

Judy

Comment

Mine are in and last night I noticed a fifth cousin appear in my Illumina results (also in Affy). Fortunately I can access their account too, as I own it. Their results were in too, albeit on opening their account and not from a leftside link. I was in their results as you would expect!

This morning their Illumina results page has gone, but they still show in mine. Maybe their results will re-appear later today!

What I did notice was the total cM had gone from 23.0 in Affy to 40.86 in Illumina!!

Originally posted by dwight View Post
                              I logged on after getting back from lunch, and what I saw didn't make sense:
                              still no mention of Illumina in the left column - only Affy - but the matches on the 1st page were mostly new names, including a 3rd cousin I hadn't seen before. I clicked on something else and <POOF!> it reverted to the very familiar Affy list of matches... I've logged out and in a couple more times and can't replicate this happening. Mirage? Too much Absinthe with lunch???

anybody else seeing UFOs?

Comment

Working...
                              X