No announcement yet.

Illumina Chip Population Finder Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine changed a whole lot! On Affy chip I was 100% Western European margin of error being 0.01%, with the Illumina I'm 86.80% Western Europe (margin of error 9.72%) and 13.20% Europe (margin of error 9.72%).

Western Europe consists of the French, Orcadian, Spanish, while "Europe" consists of Tuscan, Finnish, Romanian, Russian, Sardinian

The margin of error is telling me that 9.72% of my genome is hard to split between Western Europe and "Europe".
    Last edited by Barreldriver; 17 March 2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

23andme has only three categories; Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Middle East and India and North Africa DNA would fall under the "Europe" category. India and the Middle East may also get a score in Asia and/or Africa.
      Polynesians or Oceanians may get all three also.

So your PF matches your 23andme.

Originally posted by AngeliaR View Post
      Received 23andme results last night which showed 99+% European.

Today got PF results from ftdna and it showed 90% European and 10% Middle Eastern.

This was a real surprise and is not backed up by any documentation in my file. It seems like a pretty big difference between the two. The margin of error on PF was +/- 2.86. Mine was a new kit so I don't have any Affy comparison results.

Many of these lines can go back to colonial NE and all I have found have been English, Irish, Scottish and German.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Any advice for my next step other than to keep plugging on my personal research?

Comment

This is funny.
        On Affy:
        me: 100% Europe +/- .01%
        my aunt: 87% Western Europe, 13% Europe +/- 11%

On Illumina:
        me: 93% Western Europe (French, Orcadian, Spanish), 7% Europe (Tuscan, Romanian, Sardinian) +/- 6%
        my aunt: 100% Europe (French) +/- .01%

My paternal side is the same as my aunt (colonial US - German, Danish, English/Irish, with a bit of African). My mother's father was born in Latvia (ethnic Lett) and her mother was born in west Sweden.

My aunt's results were more descriptive under the Affy version, and both of my results are not illuminating. You would think with two grandparents born in their European countries of origin, there would be some expression of that in the results.
        Last edited by smallaxe; 17 March 2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

My results seem to be more in check with my known genealogy than the Affy ones, I know for fact that I'm not 100% "Western European", though I believe the Illumina chip overestimated the "Europe" part. The results would seem more accurate to my genealogy if they were to split up that margin of error and assign at least a few more percent towards the Western European and decrease the Europe percent because my only non Western European ancestors were about 6-7 generations back those being Portuguese, Maltese, and 9 generations back East German (Sachsen-Anhalt), there was maternal family rumor of having Swedish ancestry but I have not found a paper trail yet.
          Last edited by Barreldriver; 17 March 2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barreldriver View Post
            My results seem to be more in check with my known genealogy than the Affy ones, I know for fact that I'm not 100% "Western European", though I believe the Illumina chip overestimated the "Europe" part. The results would seem more accurate to my genealogy if they were to split up that margin of error and assign at least a few more percent towards the Western European and decrease the Europe percent because my only non Western European ancestors were about 6-7 generations back those being Portuguese, Maltese, and 9 generations back East German (Sachsen-Anhalt), there was maternal family rumor of having Swedish ancestry but I have not found a paper trail yet.
            I am having same problem. All my Europe % is Western Europe, French Orcadian.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
              I am having same problem. All my Europe % is Western Europe, French Orcadian.
              My problem was with the Affy chip though, the Illumina chip was able to split my European ancestry a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeliaR View Post
                Received 23andme results last night which showed 99+% European.

Today got PF results from ftdna and it showed 90% European and 10% Middle Eastern.

This was a real surprise and is not backed up by any documentation in my file. It seems like a pretty big difference between the two. The margin of error on PF was +/- 2.86. Mine was a new kit so I don't have any Affy comparison results.

Many of these lines can go back to colonial NE and all I have found have been English, Irish, Scottish and German.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Any advice for my next step other than to keep plugging on my personal research?
                I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. Most all my lines are colonial southeastern. My Affymetrix results were 100% European, and that's also what Doug MacDonald told me he saw in my 23andMe data. The new Illumina PF is saying about 9% Middle Eastern.

Comment

Originally posted by Barreldriver View Post
                  My problem was with the Affy chip though, the Illumina chip was able to split my European ancestry a bit better.
                  Mine is the opposite in the sense of All my European is Western Europe French Orcadian.

I also may have lost Affy Matches on FF to people I know Im related to we just cant connect the paper.

Comment

Mine is similar to Jim's. Affy's PF has me at 92% Western European, 7% European. Illumina's has me as 92% Western European, 7% *Middle Eastern*.
                    I have no idea where the Middle Eastern would fit in to my ancestry. Nothing else in yDNA, mtDNA or FF has indicated any southern European, Middle Eastern, or Ashkenazi roots.

Originally posted by JimH View Post
                    I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. Most all my lines are colonial southeastern. My Affymetrix results were 100% European, and that's also what Doug MacDonald told me he saw in my 23andMe data. The new Illumina PF is saying about 9% Middle Eastern.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwight View Post
                      Mine is similar to Jim's. Affy's PF has me at 92% Western European, 7% European. Illumina's has me as 92% Western European, 7% *Middle Eastern*.
                      I have no idea where the Middle Eastern would fit in to my ancestry. Nothing else in yDNA, mtDNA or FF has indicated any southern European, Middle Eastern, or Ashkenazi roots.
                      My Affy test gave me 12-13 Middle Eastern and Illumina got rid of the Middle Eastern and added my old Middle Eastern % it to Western European. The only % that stayed same is my Central American Indian.

Comment

• My new results says:

Europe (Western European) French, Orcadian 58,52% +/- 10,74%
                        Europe Russian, Finnish 41,48% +/- 10,74%

The Russian, Finnish part being quite accurate considering my father is of eastern and central Finnish, Finland-Swedish, Estonian and German ancestry.

Whilst the southern Swedish genes I inherited from my mother is mistaken for French and Orcadian (mainly because scandinavian reference samples are absent), however southern Swedish genetics differ somewhat from the rest of Sweden by being closer to Germany.
                        Last edited by sgc2009; 17 March 2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                          My Affy test gave me 12-13 Middle Eastern and Illumina got rid of the Middle Eastern and added my old Middle Eastern % it to Western European. The only % that stayed same is my Central American Indian.
                          It does seem like it was reading the Western European as Middle Eastern. Is the Central American % more in line with the documentation you have about your family, or do you think it should be higher?

I'm still waiting on my results, but it sounds like people's results have become a bit more refined, which makes me excited about my own results. My Native American results on Affy are quite high, based on what I know about my family, so I'm curious to see what that will look like on Illumina.

Comment

• Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                            23andme has only three categories; Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Middle East and India and North Africa DNA would fall under the "Europe" category. India and the Middle East may also get a score in Asia and/or Africa.
                            Polynesians or Oceanians may get all three also.

So your PF matches your 23andme.
                            Is that so? That seems a bit ethnocentric. I'm sure they have a good rationale for it, but to group all of those under Europe just seems to me to ignore History 101 about the spread of humans on this Earth. But maybe I'm ultra sensitive on this topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by dawer View Post
                              It does seem like it was reading the Western European as Middle Eastern. Is the Central American % more in line with the documentation you have about your family, or do you think it should be higher?

I'm still waiting on my results, but it sounds like people's results have become a bit more refined, which makes me excited about my own results. My Native American results on Affy are quite high, based on what I know about my family, so I'm curious to see what that will look like on Illumina.
                              My MT DNA Indian and yes the Indian % on PF matches to records. Do I believe my % should be higher yes but it all depends what we inherit from our ancestors and what will show up in this test. Does my ancestry match up to a higher % of Western Europe all classified as French Orcadian NO!!!

I have a few DNA projects that are getting strange results and have the admins checking into the issue further and they will report what they find back to FTDNA.

Did you read what Mike Maddi posted about the Italy DNA project
                              http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...t=28363&page=4
                              Last edited by Yaffa; 17 March 2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• ME Surprise

My 9.17% Middle East was a surprise because Mtdna was J1b1 and Y Dna was R-L21 and all other lines that have been followed are English, Irish, Scottish or German, as are known surnames. I have not found any indication of even Southern Europe going back at least a couple of centuries. The most recent immigration possible is pre-1800.

Please be patient with me on this... I am really puzzled by this result.

I'm really not comfortable not having ever had a hint of this heritage in family legends and stories, much less any documentation that would support it. I am trying to understand where this could fit into my genealogy. That's a big chunk not to even be suggested.

I've been doing family history for literally decades and nothing else points that direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X