Illumina Chip Population Finder Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahernandez View Post
    What's Davidski's Eurogenes analysis? I googled it and was taken to a blog where they breakdown general populations. Is this something that individuals can do? Can someone point me to a link?
    http://bga101.blogspot.com/

He is currently not taking submissions but will open it up in the future so keep checking the blog.

He is doing fascinating work.

Comment

Hello all,

On March 4th I inquired as to when my Population Finder results could be expected - I'm in Batch 391 from Nov. 2010.

I've received Family Finder results (that change almost daily, but it's OK), but I have no Population Finder results like many of you. I, too, received the email about re-running our samples with results starting roughly Feb. 14th. And I still don't have them.

The email I got back today:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail. As we transition to the Illumina Omni Express platform, we are taking this opportunity to refine our calculations for Population Finder. We will now be using almost three times as many data points to predict your ethnic percentages as we compare your results against over 60 reference populations across the globe. We are excited about this advancement and appreciate your patience as we work on these calculations. We are working diligently to upload your results as soon as possible, but our primary concern is delivering quality results.

As our IT team is actively working on testing the refined Illumina Population Finder calculations, it is not possible to give you an accurate estimate about when your results will be available. When a new tool is introduced to our website, it can often be very difficult to predict when it will be ready because it depends on many factors including: compatibility with our website, proper visual display, accuracy of results, etc. For this reason, testing this component will continue until we are fully confident in this tool. We understand that Population Finder is an important component of your Family Finder results and may be the reason that you chose to take the Family Finder test, but please keep in mind that your results will continually be modified based on new scientific data that becomes available. So we ask that you refrain from viewing any of your results as static. Also, since Population Finder is only one component of Family Finder, we encourage use this time to explore your matches and see if you can make any connections with your current list.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can do for you.

*sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rover View Post
        http://bga101.blogspot.com/

He is currently not taking submissions but will open it up in the future so keep checking the blog.

He is doing fascinating work.
        Thanks, Red Rover.

Comment

Originally posted by DelawareNative View Post

As our IT team is actively working on testing the refined Illumina Population Finder calculations, it is not possible to give you an accurate estimate about when your results will be available. When a new tool is introduced to our website, it can often be very difficult to predict when it will be ready because it depends on many factors including: compatibility with our website, proper visual display, accuracy of results, etc. For this reason, testing this component will continue until we are fully confident in this tool. We understand that Population Finder is an important component of your Family Finder results and may be the reason that you chose to take the Family Finder test, but please keep in mind that your results will continually be modified based on new scientific data that becomes available. So we ask that you refrain from viewing any of your results as static. Also, since Population Finder is only one component of Family Finder, we encourage use this time to explore your matches and see if you can make any connections with your current list.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can do for you.

*sigh*
          Sighing right along with you.

So we wait another few months for PF? I have only 3 matches on FF- 1 who I am waiting for additional info from and the other two are silent as church mice.

Comment

Originally posted by dwight View Post
            Is Davidski's Eurogenes analysis the one that is limited to those who have 4 gps from the same country? or is it open to all?
            You are thinking of the Dienekes Dodecad project which is limited to people who are 100% European and have all 4 grandparents from the same European country. But Dodecad may make an exception for some Adoptees.

I am not in Dienekes Dodecad.
            I am in the Eurogenes Project, run by Davidski (David W). Most of his work is about Europeans, but he does have Canadians and Americans. He did several new spreadsheets this month. The most recent one (today) is comparing Africans to Aframs (African-Americans).

Comment

I tried to edit my above post but I missed the forums 15 minute edit timelimit.
              The Eurogenes Afram spreadsheet wasn't from today. The date was March 06th. And a new Africans and Aframs and Ethiopian MDS from March 07th.

The white Americans spreadsheet (two parts) was done March 03rd (or 02nd). I'm in that one. That one says I have no Native American, but I have 9% Finnic and 3% Baltic, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                You are thinking of the Dienekes Dodecad project which is limited to people who are 100% European and have all 4 grandparents from the same European country. But Dodecad may make an exception for some Adoptees.

I am not in Dienekes Dodecad.
                I am in the Eurogenes Project, run by Davidski (David W). Most of his work is about Europeans, but he does have Canadians and Americans. He did several new spreadsheets this month. The most recent one (today) is comparing Africans to Aframs (African-Americans).
                I am in the Dodecad Project, and so are some other adoptees. I am in Eurogenes also.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
                  I am in the Dodecad Project, and so are some other adoptees. I am in Eurogenes also.

Judy

That's good.
                  I don't meet the criteria to join Dodecad.

Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by CWF View Post
                    FF missed my NA input. So I'm wondering if they will catch it with Illumina. Two other independent testing services caught it at the exact same %-age. Since my mtdna is NA I don't need the verification but it is interesting to see it.
                    My NA shows up in my PF. Maybe yours is too far back to show up in PF or by any chance were you given a Middle Eastern % when you have no known Middle Eastern? I got both Middle Eastern and NA

Comment

NA would not be confused with ME in a DNA test (maybe Asian, but not ME). Other Mediterranean Pops could be confused with ME though. If you have no known ME or Med ancestry and it's showing up on your test its just that you don't know about it but it's there.

Comment

NA would not be confused with ME in a DNA test (maybe Asian, but not ME). Other Mediterranean Pops could be confused with ME though. If you have no known ME or Med ancestry and it's showing up on your test its just that you don't know about it but it's there.
                        Im not so sure. I have a few people from the Appalachia who have been given ME and this was not an area where there were a lot of ME. Most of our ME % FTDNA is stating came from a great grandparent or possibly 2 second great grandparents. This ME % is not matching up to genealogy at all or Y and MT DNA results. I do not have Asian in my family either and neither do my FF matches. Also my NA predicted is not the tribes my ancestor was from. I do have FF matches to people who do have documented Indian ancestors as well as some of my own lines are documented. I have no FF matches to anyone with ME in their ancestry.
                        Last edited by Yaffa; 9th March 2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Even if you discount all the Italians that moved to Appalacia in the 20th century, British settlers to the area could have come with ME dna already in their makeup. For example, the Wright Brothers have a North African/Berber Y haplogroup and Thomas Jefferson has a ME Y haplogroup.

Comment

NA would not be confused with ME in a DNA test (maybe Asian, but not ME).
                            A few people with minor NA ancestry but more West Euro have also got Northeast European on Population Finder, despite little or no known ancestry from there. I suspect it is because NE Europe is a midpoint or average between these ancestries. Sometimes it's hard for the testing to say whether someone is from population X, or from a mix of two/three nearby populations.

ME instead of NA, though, doesn't seem very likely. ME gets confused with South Euro (e.g. Italian, Greek), though.

Yaffa wrote:
                            "Im not so sure. I have a few people from the Appalachia who have been given ME and this was not an area where there were a lot of ME."

If the DNA does not agree with history/paper trails, it might be history that's wrong.

There's some interesting work on the Melungeon yDNA Project that suggests a significant South Europe source with possibly a Near Eastern component, or
                            as I explain above South Euro can look like Near Eastern.

It's difficult to strike the right balance between being open to reading the results, and reading too much into them. But if a number of people from Appalachia have Middle Eastern, it is not coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                              A few people with minor NA ancestry but more West Euro have also got Northeast European on Population Finder, despite little or no known ancestry from there. I suspect it is because NE Europe is a midpoint or average between these ancestries. Sometimes it's hard for the testing to say whether someone is from population X, or from a mix of two/three nearby populations.
                              Yeah, I suspect that that's due to common ansetry between the Northern Eurasian people (like the Chukchi of Siberia) and Native Americans. So, for example, someone from Northeast European showing NA ansestry with no history of NA admixture it could be that they have one of these Northern Eurasian people in their Family Tree.

Comment

Even if you discount all the Italians that moved to Appalacia in the 20th century, British settlers to the area could have come with ME dna already in their makeup. For example, the Wright Brothers have a North African/Berber Y haplogroup and Thomas Jefferson has a ME Y haplogroup.
                                My family in same place for hundreds of years and % of ME they are giving us does not add up to being a great grandparent or two second greats. Meaning that even if there was lets say North African in my lines it would have happened 6th great great grandparents or before and would not show up on a PF test. And those y-DNA haplogroups could go back 1200 years or more. So far I do not have one MT-or Y line that comes up North African or ME. All European (Irish, English, German, Dutch) or Indian

Comment

Working...
                                X