FF for adoption barriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF for adoption barriers

Just want to give a word of encouragement to fellow adoptees. I had the SuperDNA package plus deep clade work done so that I might have more of a clue as to my heritage. All the people who had known my connection to my birth parents...were dead. Somewhat miraculously, on 6/25/10, I managed to break through all the secrecy, just about the same time all my DNA results were coming through. Now I am buried in genealogical and genetic info. I decided to add the Family Finder package as there is a question on the identity of an actual grandfather. The same day I got those results, I was contacted by a third cousin once removed that I might or might not have found. If I had not made the genealogical breakthrough, I would have gotten one real clue to my heritage. This in my opinion absolutely validates FF as a tool for those still trying to find blood relatives.

Hi Cyroc -

Congratulations on your finds!

Are you on the new Yahoo!Group "Adoption DNA"?

Both newbies and experienced are welcome.

Gaye
    Still 100% European

Comment

I love your story. I'm not adopted but I have a missing father. Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

thanks & overwhelmed

i am an adopted adult. excited by all of the matches of 2nd - 5th cousins but not sure what to do with all of it. people who are not adopted do not share the same fever we have to find our parents and family, i don't think.

thanks for the encouragement though. nice to meet you.

Comment

Originally posted by commafemale View Post
          i am an adopted adult. excited by all of the matches of 2nd - 5th cousins but not sure what to do with all of it. people who are not adopted do not share the same fever we have to find our parents and family, i don't think.

Don't be so sure there.

Without those of us that aren't adopted, and we often have good paper trails, there would be no fire for the adoptee to enjoy.

The fever goes both ways, believe me.

Comment

I agree: genealogy is the number one hobby in the US (or so I've heard). That's not all adoptees!

Comment

Originally posted by cyroc View Post
              Just want to give a word of encouragement to fellow adoptees. I had the SuperDNA package plus deep clade work done so that I might have more of a clue as to my heritage. All the people who had known my connection to my birth parents...were dead. Somewhat miraculously, on 6/25/10, I managed to break through all the secrecy, just about the same time all my DNA results were coming through. Now I am buried in genealogical and genetic info. I decided to add the Family Finder package as there is a question on the identity of an actual grandfather. The same day I got those results, I was contacted by a third cousin once removed that I might or might not have found. If I had not made the genealogical breakthrough, I would have gotten one real clue to my heritage. This in my opinion absolutely validates FF as a tool for those still trying to find blood relatives.
              As one who has taken this test would you recommend this one for all adoptees? My husband has had the same testing as you as well as his mtDNA done and he is also adopted.

Comment

Yes, if you have no other options

Rhonda....yes, FF will at least give your husband a chance to find blood relatives. I scored a third cousin, once removed, although without knowing my parents, backtracking is difficult. Some FF test takers are secretive as well and won't respond. They might as well have burned the money.

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                  Don't be so sure there.

Without those of us that aren't adopted, and we often have good paper trails, there would be no fire for the adoptee to enjoy.

The fever goes both ways, believe me.

This is a really great quote by RichardHill on DNA-forums:

"It is my opinion that adoptees and donor-conceived adults are all genealogists. Our brick walls are just lower in the family tree than most."

Adoptees (and donor-conceived people) could not do what they do with DNA tests without the diligent work and research done by genealogists. Genealogists are often trying to break through brick walls 3,5, 8 generations back. Adoptees and donor-conceived people, we just need that first brick to start our journeys.

Comment

I am also adopted, but know who the birth mother is, which means I am able to trace one side . I have been matched to 4th cousins and the information is almost worthless! More importantly it is frustrating to not be able to make a connection because you are dealing with tons! of names. Plus that 4th cousin could be once or twice removed.
                    I agree that without the people that have made a paper trail we would not be able to connect dots! I have done it for my husbands side so I know.
                    What commafemale is saying is that we feel unfinished because we can't make a paper trail. We are not able to go back in time, just forward! To never be blood related to anyone but your children is very frustrating that's what she means by the fever to know!

Comment

Working...
                    X