Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what upcoming FamilyFinder changes are?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
    All the tests that are coming out next week are already on the new chip. Sorry I could say anything on this sooner. They've been working on this for a long time, hence the past FF results delays. They already have tests back with the new chip.
    Matt, I understand you could not be more specific, and I appreciate what you do say in an effort to keep us informed as much as possible.

    OK, I have a question...how will the new platform effect the independent projects like Eurogenes, HIR, DODecad, and the GEDMatch tool? Will we need to upload our data again when we receive the Omni platform results (even if there are no new matches?).

    Judy

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
      Matt, I understand you could not be more specific, and I appreciate what you do say in an effort to keep us informed as much as possible.

      OK, I have a question...how will the new platform effect the independent projects like Eurogenes, HIR, DODecad, and the GEDMatch tool? Will we need to upload our data again when we receive the Omni platform results (even if there are no new matches?).

      Judy
      When these sites can accept the new data then yes raw data should be re-uploaded. Not sure when they will be ready for the new data. They haven't seen the raw files yet which should be out any day now.
      Last edited by mkdexter; 11 February 2011, 01:52 AM.

      Comment


      • #63
        New matches/corrections

        My first cousin once removed just sent in a sample. The pending date in her record says the batch will be done in early April, but she got an email saying it was in the new system and could be done next week. That would mean new matches coming out soon for some people.

        The previous discussion of corrections has implications to me. One is that the testing firms need to give users the data with a minimum of hidden assumptions and manipulation. That likely means providing more matches (maybe I want to know who I match in 200 2 cM segments, that might mean something; or maybe I only want to look at relations with 15 cM or more segments and I will take that as the only matching segment) and letting us filter them out. Another is that a good filter and management system is going to be complex in the long run.

        If the output of the matching run was available, and there were tools to manage it you might have lots of options.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by JohnG View Post
          The previous discussion of corrections has implications to me. One is that the testing firms need to give users the data with a minimum of hidden assumptions and manipulation. That likely means providing more matches (maybe I want to know who I match in 200 2 cM segments, that might mean something; or maybe I only want to look at relations with 15 cM or more segments and I will take that as the only matching segment) and letting us filter them out. Another is that a good filter and management system is going to be complex in the long run.

          If the output of the matching run was available, and there were tools to manage it you might have lots of options.
          I agree, more tools are useful. In fact, Family Finder already has a centimorgan filter now (1+ cM, 3+ cM, 5+ cM, 10+ cM). deCODEme also has an excellent feature that allows you to compare your identical segments to pepole with whom you share, including sample populations, at various thresholds (I think it is 1 Mb, 3 Mb, 5 Mb, 10 Mb, 20 Mb). You can also visualize your data with gedmatch.com, an excellent offsite tool.

          My main problem with 23andme, in contrast, is that they do _not_ show all your matches at the higher thresholds, and they do _not_ let you filter your matches this way. In consequence, if you have certain ancestry, the preponderance of your "relatives" may come out of the same restricted gene pool from 500+ years ago, but are not closely related in any genealogical sense.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
            When these sites can accept the new data then yes raw data should be re-uploaded. Not sure when they will be ready for the new data. They haven't seen the raw files yet which should be out any day now.
            Matt, thank you for your reply to my question.

            Judy

            Comment

            Working...
            X