Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what upcoming FamilyFinder changes are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Findermessage got cut off

Pending Items
    TESTS EXPECTED* BATCH NOTES
    Family Finder(FamilyFinder) 03/07/2011 391 Your “expected date” has recently been updated to reflect a more accurate timeframe for your results to be ready. We sincerely appreciate your continued patience and cooperation. One of the following circumstances applies to you: 1) We have recently received your DNA collection kit and have begun testing. 2) Multiple attempts have been made to test the DNA we had stored in our lab. All attempts failed to pass our strict quality control standards. If we have no additional vials of DNA stored, you will be sent an additional collection kit so that we may continue testing. 3) We are waiting for you to return the DNA collection kit we sent to you. The “expected date” only applies to those of you who have remaining DNA stored in our lab for testing. If you have any questions about the progress of your DNA test, please e-mail us at [email protected] or call us at 713-868-1438, M-F, 8am-5pm CST.

Comment

Family Finder

I had e-mailed FTDNA because I was curious with Family Finder what bacth they were up to and this is their reply

"Thank you for your email. The delays that we have experienced recently with Family Finder are based on necessary modifications in the testing process that were unanticipated when you placed your initial order. This is a delay for all Family Finder results, not just yours specifically. We apologize for the inconvenience. Sometimes the modifications take much more time than we would like. However, we believe that the modifications we are implementing will greatly improve the process for running Family Finder tests and we sincerely appreciate your patience. While not all results in a batch will come back at once we see that the majority of the testing currently being worked on are from batch 388".

Darren Marin
      Family Tree DNA
      http://www.FamilyTreeDNA.com
      "We Put the Gene in Genealogy"

Comment

Originally posted by CAM View Post
        I copied and pasted this from my Uncle's pending items page down below.
        I called FTDNA and they said the test had not been run. They do need to work on their form e-mails. Cam

"Pending Items
        TESTS EXPECTED* BATCH NOTES
        Family Finder(FamilyFinder) 03/07/2011 391 Your
        Sorry should not have said it was an e-mail it was not just the message in the pending items page.

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
          An announcement should be coming out any day now.

The FF results are not failing QC again though.

Thanks Matt.

Comment

I hope one of the changes will be the x browser!

Some have uploaded to gedmatch, but we want more

Comment

Originally posted by briancowings View Post
              I hope one of the changes will be the x browser!

Some have uploaded to gedmatch, but we want more
              And I would like a batch download of the Chromosome Browser results. My last 'Satiable Curiosity column in JoGG was about Family Finder segments, and I bet I'd have more contributions if this were possible.

http://www.jogg.info/62/files/SatiableCuriosity.pdf

I can understand the need to limit the graphic display, but grabbing just three at a time for a spreadsheet is very laborious (the first time around, anyway -- new additions can be done pretty quickly).

Any more votes for this as a new feature?

Comment

Yes, that's got my vote too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                  And I would like a batch download of the Chromosome Browser results. My last 'Satiable Curiosity column in JoGG was about Family Finder segments, and I bet I'd have more contributions if this were possible.

I can understand the need to limit the graphic display, but grabbing just three at a time for a spreadsheet is very laborious (the first time around, anyway -- new additions can be done pretty quickly).

On this feature I sent a lengthy note to FTDNA 3 weeks ago requesting FF have the ability to download all of the chromosome browser, not just three at a time. I don't think we will see it soon (this quarter) due to the other IT projects but at least its on the radar.

Keep asking for it. It's an important one.
                  Last edited by mkdexter; 3 February 2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

yep, both hands raised high

Comment

I'm down with this one! Man, I hate three at a time.

I'm not so interested in the X gene as some here. I don't even understand how they calculate generations at 23andMe for X gene matches but honestly, the statistical plus/minus on those puppies is HUGE. The only real thing of value is to know that you have an X match I guess.

Comment

Batch download chromosome browser

Yes! Add my vote.
                        Corky Bean

Comment

Need a batch chromosome downloader.

A definite need!

Comment

Originally posted by CorkyBean View Post
                            Yes! Add my vote.
                            Corky Bean
                            Me also, though so far I have been able to keep up with 33 FF matches. However, I am hoping that number will increase again!

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                              I didn't know about that. It wasn't Joe White in TN was it? Sounds like it might be. I talked to him once about a yDNA upgrade for me. Very interesting fellow (no mistake though.. he was a nice and agreed to help me out).

The more tests the better. The only way these (FF) tests will work is when we keep getting a ton more tests. Keep them coming.
                              I think it was. I'm from the Sizemore/Napier line in that area that were considered to be the Whitetop band of Cherokees (unrecognized) Tribe. So I was interested in what he was saying, although the tests were inconclusive.

Comment

On 1/11/11 I sent a note asking FTDNA to add these features:

1. Have the in-common feature working again.
                                2. Download of all chromosome data.
                                3. Tags or notes telling our FF matches of our confirmed relations so others can narrow down which part of our GEDCOM they connect to (if they match some of our relatives they will know what part of our tree to look at).

So basically I was told this can't happen right away because IT is already booked....

I will ask again next month, and the next, .. hope others ask too.

Comment

Working...
                                X