X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Population Finder

Mine is 99.30, .88 Western European.
    Boring.
    Ancestry by DNA was 90-95 Caucasian, 3-5 African, 3-5 Amecan Indian.
    I always believed my mom had some Indian because she had some physical traits that pointed to that.
    My brother is waiting on his test results from 23and me so that will be interesting.

Maternal mtDNA H1
    Paternal line all Swedish
    Maternal line Colonial American -British Isles, German, we thought Native American
    My mother was an in family adoption - her mother unknown

Comment

My results were boring......Europe 100%.

I'm anxious to see what the difference is between Europe and western Europe.

my mtdna....T2

my Dad's ydna....J2
      my Dad's mtdna...J*

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
        Mom (Sicily)

Europe 57.52% +/- 9.22%
        Middle East (Middle Eastern) 42.48% +/- 9.22%

Dad (Central Italy)

Europe (Southern Europe) 71.88% +/-2.88%
        Middle East (Middle Eastern) 28.12% +/- 2.88%

Anyone care to comment?

Vinnie
        Very interesting. After seeing all these 100% or close to it combination of European and West European for all the people with northern European ancestry, I was anxious to see what someone with Italian ancestry would get in PF.

As I suspected, there is significant Middle Eastern admixture - 42% is a big chunk of the genome. And, also as I expected, someone with Sicilian ancestry gets significantly more Middle Eastern than someone with ancestry further north in the mainland.

I was hoping that the Middle Eastern would be more specific. But I guess, until they are able to refine their understanding of which SNPs indicate which population, "Middle East (Middle Eastern)" will be as specific as they can get. It's the same situation as everybody from northern Europe getting "European" or "European (Western European)."

I have tested at 23andMe but I haven't ordered Family Finder yet. I hope to do that next year when I have the funds. Maybe Population Finder will be more fine-tuned in picking up specific populations then.

Comment

What's the likely time span of this stuff? In other words, how far back (in years or generations) do these autosomal SNPs go?

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
            Mom (Sicily)

Europe 57.52% +/- 9.22%
            Middle East (Middle Eastern) 42.48% +/- 9.22%

Dad (Central Italy)

Europe (Southern Europe) 71.88% +/-2.88%
            Middle East (Middle Eastern) 28.12% +/- 2.88%

Anyone care to comment?
            I have been referred to this blog which, in part, addresses Sicily and Italy:

As political boundaries do not determine genetic populations, Population Finder cannot determine in which country your ancestors lived. For example, Sicily was settled by at least twelve different cultures prior to it becoming part of Italy, and as this area was on a major trade route, there were other cultures that passed though, leaving a bit of their DNA among the locals. Anyone testing from that region could show a large variety of autosomal DNA from Africa, the Middle East, Europe, or other locations.

My husband would refer to himself as totally Italian. All four of his grandparents were born in either Italy or Sicily. Of the lines currently known, everyone lived in these areas. His Y-chromosome is R1b, and his mtDNA is HV. Both of these indicate Western Europe. However, remember that only the autosomal result is used for Population Finder and not the Y-DNA or mtDNA.

When viewing his autosomal results in either Population Finder's bar or pie graph option, we discover that he has 28.39% of his DNA matching populations from the Middle East and the rest from Southern Europe. That's quite a bit from the Middle East for an all-Italian guy!

Link: http://genealem-geneticgenealogy.blogspot.com/

Comment

My thought was my 9.6% middle east was from Sicily and these other comments are certainly backing up my theory on that. I'm waiting to hear back from two close FF matches who came from that area to see what their PF shows; whether middle east or not as well.
              Last edited by mkdexter; 21 September 2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Europe 25.14%
                Europe (Southern European) 74.86%

What results are those with known ancestry 100% from UK getting?
                Last edited by varlene; 21 September 2010, 10:43 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by varlene View Post
                  What results are those with known ancestry 100% from UK getting?
                  An English friend reports:

Father
                  Europe (Western European) 84.24% +/- 12.91%
                  Europe 15.76%+/-12.91%

Mother
                  Europe (Western European) 98.29% +/16.56%

Both father and mother have well-documented British lines back many generations.

Comment

Population finder results

Europe (Western European) 93.29%

Comment

My father is an Irish/English mixture. I'm about half Irish, 1/4 English, and 1/4 German.

Both of us are Europe 100% on PF. Not even Western Europe! Just "Europe". I feel so generic.

Comment

Originally posted by varlene View Post
                        Europe 25.14%
                        Europe (Southern European) 74.86%
                        What is your ancesty based on your known paper trail genealogy?

Comment

Us too, we are 100% European. We are both English with roots in England/Scotland!

What an anticlimax!

If we don't fall in to any of the Continental Group 1, are we Northern European then? Or haven't they calculated that one yet?

Originally posted by drouhin View Post
                          My father is an Irish/English mixture. I'm about half Irish, 1/4 English, and 1/4 German.

Both of us are Europe 100% on PF. Not even Western Europe! Just "Europe". I feel so generic.
                          Last edited by briancowings; 21 September 2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

If you don't fall into one of the continental group 1 catagories you are then assigned "Europe". Or if you don't have enough specific SNPs to match one of the groups or subgroups of continental 1 specifically - you are assigned Europe

The FAQ is missing one catagory. There are four, not three PF will report.

Russia/Caucasus
                            Southern Europe
                            Western Europe
                            and (the missing one)
                            Northeast Europe

Still waiting for the FAQ to be updated. They are looking into it was the last word I was given.

Comment

My results:

59.60% Middle East (Middle Eastern)
                              40.40% Middle East (Iranian)

Assyrian with an Armenian second great-grandparent. Ancestors from NW Iran, SE Turkey, and N Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                                What is your ancestry based on your known paper trail genealogy?
                                I don't have a paper trail unfortunately. I do know my mom's father was a Cassidy and her mom's family supposedly came from Italy. The FF results showing Southern European 74.86% would seem to give that rumor some weight. Perhaps my father (also a mystery) might hail from Southern Europe as well.

mtDNA=J2b1

Comment

Working...
                                X