X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dawer
    • Mar 2010

Autosomal Testing

I've become really interested in going through with the autosomal testing, and am glad that FF will be offering (sometime in the near future) a Population Finder feature.

My question is, at this point, what is the best option for me to go with if all i'm interested is in the autosomal testing (admixture %). FF, 23andMe, DNA Tribes? I've got no hope for finding a distant relative with FF, since I've had almost no relevant matches with either YDNA or MtDNA, so I would only do it so I can get the Population Finder results.

What's your advice? FF, 23andMe, DNA Tribes or just wait till FF's database grows larger and they work out all the kinks in the system?
  • J Honeychuck
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2010

DNATribes does not do admixture percentages, so forget that.

If you're just looking for European-Asian-African, you would get that breakdown from 23andMe.

HTH,
    Jim

Comment

• GayeSherman
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2010

I did DNA Tribes and I was quite disappointed with the results. It wasn't because the report does NOT give you any kind of admixture, but rather that the results just did not make sense given what I know about my background. I've also heard similar complaints from people who have extensive knowledge of their genetic lineages.

23andMe's admixture is rather vague, especially if you come from a homogeneous racial background. I don't think most people will find it useful to know that they are 100% European.

My money is on FTDNA.

JMHO

Comment

• mkdexter
        FTDNA Customer
        • Dec 2009

The Family Finder (FF) Population Finder (PF) feature will draw from SNPs, not STRs to match your sample to. DNATribes uses STRs. PF is a part of Family Finder. It will show up in your menu under Family Finder when it is released and it is included. If I state FF here it also means PF too. Relative Finder (RF) is from 23andMe.

It is going to be all opinion as to answering your question. Other's on the forum have tested with 23andMe and DNATribes so they might speak regarding those tests. I'll speak regarding FTDNA since that is what I have tested with. FF draws from 58 populations as of recent information. Most of the populations come from the Human Genome Diversity Project and a few other populations come from some specialized ones FTDNA added.

You probably want to compare the other benefits FF or RF gives you vs. DNA tribes - such as FF and RF having a database of other customers that your test will be compared to and matches possibly found.

As far as between FF and RF, FF has more populations to compare against than RF does.

As far as matches FF is newer and has a smaller database but FF is easier to use too. There are a variety of reviews on the Internet between the two regarding their "cousin" finding features.

Matt.
        Last edited by mkdexter; 10 September 2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• mkdexter
          FTDNA Customer
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by J Honeychuck View Post
          DNATribes does not do admixture percentages, so forget that.

If you're just looking for European-Asian-African, you would get that breakdown from 23andMe.

HTH,
          Jim
          Family Finder will provide something like:
          73.50% Western European +/- 6.54%
          26.50% European +/- 6.54%

FF could also show a single group like "Basque" as well. FF (its Population Finder portion) is a little better than a simple 100% European that 23andMe would show.
          Last edited by mkdexter; 10 September 2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• rainbow
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2006

I tested with AncestryByDNA, and DNA Tribes, and 23andme.

DNA Tribes compares your STRs with over a thousand populations around the globe to rate how you match with each population. The STRs can also be used for ENSFI and OMNIPOP.

AncestryByDNA and 23andme use SNPs to compare you to the few basic races. AncestryByDNA uses Ancestry Informative Markers (AIMs) which are a small amount of SNPs can accurately distinguish between the races. 23andme uses marginally informative SNPs that are found in two or more races, but will be counted as European.

Comment

• mkdexter
              FTDNA Customer
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
              I tested with AncestryByDNA, and DNA Tribes, and 23andme.

DNA Tribes compares your STRs with over a thousand populations around the globe to rate how you match with each population. The STRs can also be used for ENSFI and OMNIPOP.

AncestryByDNA and 23andme use SNPs to compare you to the few basic races. AncestryByDNA uses Ancestry Informative Markers (AIMs) which are a small amount of SNPs can accurately distinguish between the races. 23andme uses marginally informative SNPs that are found in two or more races, but will be counted as European.
              How did ENSFI and OMNIPOP compare to DNA Tribes? I ran my STRs (taken from some paternity/siblingship testing) thru ENSFI and Omnipop but never paid for the full DNATribes test so I am curious to know how the two compared to DNATribes.

Last edited by mkdexter; 10 September 2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• rainbow
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jun 2006

DNA Tribes doesn't give percentages. They will list your Match Likelihood Index, such as "(18.0) 348.21 Sweden". The numbers in parentheses are called TribeScores. (18.0) means that your overall STR profile, found in Sweden, is higher than 18% of that population. If you have (45.7) with Netherlands, that means your STR is more common in the Netherlands. But the MLI takes precedence over the TS.

If you email DNA Tribes asking specific questions about your results, they will answer you. In my case I was told that my STR profile was consistent with 1/8 to 1/4 Native American ancestry. Another way it was worded, later on, was that 1/8 Native American ancestry cannot be excluded.

Comment

• rainbow
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jun 2006

Oops. I made an error in my post above. TribeScores in parentheses would read (0.18), not (18.1).
                  Last edited by rainbow; 10 September 2010, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• rainbow
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                    How did ENSFI and OMNIPOP compare to DNA Tribes? I ran my STRs (taken from some paternity/siblingship testing) thru ENSFI and Omnipop but never paid for the full DNATribes test so I am curious to know how the two compared to DNATribes.

There is also a Canadian database to compare to (or is that ENSFI?).

I think my non-DNA Tribes top matches (Omnipop or ENSFI) were to Portugal, and to Estonia.

Several years ago, when I had just 13 STR markers, I was told that 4 of my alleles were very Native American.

Comment

• mkdexter
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Dec 2009

http://www.cstl.nist.gov/strbase/index.htm (see lab resources and tools / population data / for omnipop)

=

Comment

• westpa
                        • Oct 2009

I've tested at FTDNA (family finder) and 23andMe. While 23andMe's Ancestry Painting is very basic, as someone else mentioned (Euro, African, Asian), there are ways of using the raw data from 23andMe that can be more informative. You can send them to Dr. McDonald, who will give you a more detailed breakdown (% Euro, African, Amerind, Oceania, S. Asia, Mideast, E. Asia). And there are others doing similar analysis.

I would assume that it won't be long until there are folks doing more detailed biogeographical analysis with the FF raw data, but at this point I am not aware of any. So if you've already tested your haplogroups, then perhaps 23andMe is partially redundant (and more expensive). For less, you could order FF and wait for Population Finder (hopefully coming soon) and other outside raw data tools to be developed. My two cents...

Comment

• dawer
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                          Family Finder will provide something like:
                          73.50% Western European +/- 6.54%
                          26.50% European +/- 6.54%

FF could also show a single group like "Basque" as well. FF (its Population Finder portion) is a little better than a simple 100% European that 23andMe would show.
                          Is that so? That definitely sounds like what i'm looking for

Comment

• mkdexter
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Dec 2009

Yes that is an example one might see.

Comment

• dawer
                              • Mar 2010

FF is sounding real good then, I may still wait a couple of months before ordering to see how satisfied people are with their results.

Comment

Working...
                              X