Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Finder test if focusing on maternal line only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder test if focusing on maternal line only?

I'm thinking that the Family Finder test won't be much use to me, but I'd like your input: I'm researching mainly whether there is any Jewish ancestry on my maternal side. If there is any on my paternal side, that would be interesting, but for my purposes it is critical that I can separate out where Jewish ancestry (if any) originates, mom or dad's side. Does the new Family Finder test differentiate from which line the found "cousins" are, or as I suspect it is mixed from mom and dad's side?

Are there any tutorials I can read on autosomal tests (Family Finder is that, right?) -- I really don't get the autosomal tests at all as compared to the mtDNA or paternal Y tests which seem straightforward to me.

Also, I currently have only one anonymous match on my mtDNA (HV1), so I have not upgraded. . . Is it likely that therefore there also won't be any cousins found? Or is that completely unrelated?

Thanks much!

My understanding is that the Family Finder test just tells you whether your related & estimates the degree of kinship.

I think that a clever approach to this would be to find 8 different 3rd cousins, each descended from a sibling of a great-grandparent, so that all great-grandparents are covered. All 8 should show up as your cousins on the FF test.

Then, if someone else takes the test & happens to match you, they should match at least one of the 8 as well. This will tell you which side of the family the match is coming from & if they only match 1 of the 8, you are 3rd cousins or half second cousins. If they match 2 of the 8, you are second cousins or half first cousins. If they match 4 of the 8, you are first cousins or half siblings. If they match all of the 8, you are full siblings, or double first cousins, or quadruple second cousins.

At any rate, these other tested 3rd cousins would be good pointers.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by sylvichka View Post
      I'm thinking that the Family Finder test won't be much use to me, but I'd like your input: I'm researching mainly whether there is any Jewish ancestry on my maternal side. If there is any on my paternal side, that would be interesting, but for my purposes it is critical that I can separate out where Jewish ancestry (if any) originates, mom or dad's side. Does the new Family Finder test differentiate from which line the found "cousins" are, or as I suspect it is mixed from mom and dad's side?

Thanks much!
      Autosomal means mixed. It is the DNA that is combined, some from mother and some from father. You would need your father and mother's DNA compared to yours to know which came from which.

Comment

Also, I currently have only one anonymous match on my mtDNA (HV1), so I have not upgraded. . . Is it likely that therefore there also won't be any cousins found? Or is that completely unrelated?

Thanks much!
        mtDNA will only find people in your mothers lineage such as her sisters, her mother, her mother's sisters, her maternal grandmother, her maternal grandmother's sisters.. etc. and any of your mother's children i.e your siblings.

An anonymous match on HV1 means a relationship up to nearly 1300 years thus an upgrade would only tell you if you match within 700 years. Not close enough to be a cousin. Family Finder is the only way to find closer cousins.

Matt.

Comment

Are there any tutorials I can read on autosomal tests (Family Finder is that, right?) -- I really don't get the autosomal tests at all as compared to the mtDNA or paternal Y tests which seem straightforward to me.
          Thanks much!
          http://www.familytreedna.com/understanding-dna.aspx
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test

Comment

Working...
          X