Family Finder - how literal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder - how literal

I doing the FF test, and I'm just wondering - how real do we think this is ????

I mean when they say "4th cousin" - is that 50% probably, or 90%, or 99% ???

i have like 10 people on 23andMe listed as 4th or better, none of us can find any commonality at all (or them between themselves)

Last week I found I have a lot of 23andme Relative Finder matches. I'm in the process of sending invites to them all. My closest match matches me at .39% and is predicted to be a fourth cousin. Of the few that have accepted the invites, most are in the 20% range. A father and daughter accepted, but the odd thing is that the daughter is listed as my fourth cousin and the father is listed as my fifth cousin. So far we still don't know for sure where our lines connect. Maybe the father and I are fifth cousins once removed?
    Last edited by rainbow; 1st April 2010, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by satyricon View Post

i have like 10 people on 23andMe listed as 4th or better, none of us can find any commonality at all (or them between themselves)
      Something we all need to work on is the possible females who we don't have a surname for.

My Donegal matches are surely cousins.We know we do not share on the male line as the Haplogroup does not match but we each have at LEAST one GGrandmother who we THINK we know a surname for or else we do not know..
      that leaves a HUGE hole in even the best pedigrees

Comment

23andme updated their mitochondrial haplogroups. I was an H1* and now I am classified as H1c.

And of my oodles of H1* matches, they have all since been re-classified. I now have 186 Relative Finder matches. Only one is also H1c, and he had accepted my anonymous & no sharing invite a few days ago. Now I wish we could share genomes, so I sent a request.
        I have one RF match who is H1c1 and one RF match who is H1c3. I haven't sent invites to them yet.
        I am still waiting for my FGS from FTDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by satyricon View Post
          i have like 10 people on 23andMe listed as 4th or better
          Unless you are adopted, have unregistered (great)(grand)father/mother, or surnames have changed in untraceable ways (or are trying to connect with possible siblings along such lines), it should not be so difficult to follow a paper trail to fourth cousins?? The common connection is only 5 generations back, that's maybe 150 years or so.

Comment

Working...
          X