Upcoming Family Finder Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Family Finder Test

Family Finder may solve a puzzle in my family tree.

My Grandfather was married 4 times, and he divorced one woman while she was pregnant. The mother immediately remarried, and the daughter was adopted and raised as a member of the family, but never had the same appearance.

Jump ahead 90+ years, and here I am doing my genealogy and posting stuff on RootsWeb and such, and I get an email from someone who is a descendant of that child asking for photos of my grandfather to see if there was a resemblance to their ancestor.

Alas, the Y and mtDNA tests weren't in the cards (not matriarchal or patriarchal lines between us) to see if we had a common ancestor (we are possible 1st cousin- once-removed if our hunches are correct.)

I'm a big FTDNA spender and along comes Family Finder. Of course, I order it and contact my friend to let him know of the possibilities of autosomal testing. He quickly ordered his test, and so here we sit, to see if we are related. My test will be first so it should be in the database by the time his test is completed.

I'm in batch 352 due around 3 May 2010. His swab was just mailed in.

What an amazing story! I hope you'll update the thread when your results come in.

Comment

Originally posted by supersc View Post
      Family Finder may solve a puzzle in my family tree.

My Grandfather was married 4 times, and he divorced one woman while she was pregnant. The mother immediately remarried, and the daughter was adopted and raised as a member of the family, but never had the same appearance.

Jump ahead 90+ years, and here I am doing my genealogy and posting stuff on RootsWeb and such, and I get an email from someone who is a descendant of that child asking for photos of my grandfather to see if there was a resemblance to their ancestor.

Alas, the Y and mtDNA tests weren't in the cards (not matriarchal or patriarchal lines between us) to see if we had a common ancestor (we are possible 1st cousin- once-removed if our hunches are correct.)

That is a fscinating story.You will have years of this puzzle to put together
      I'm a big FTDNA spender and along comes Family Finder. Of course, I order it and contact my friend to let him know of the possibilities of autosomal testing. He quickly ordered his test, and so here we sit, to see if we are related. My test will be first so it should be in the database by the time his test is completed.

I'm in batch 352 due around 3 May 2010. His swab was just mailed in.
      That is a fascinating story.You will have years of this puzzle to put together

Comment

I will do an update... this family line has been difficult: only 1 male up the Y-line for 4 generations.

My grand-father died in 1935 and thanks to online databases like ancestry.com and familysearch.com, I found out more than I'm sure he ever wanted known, lol.

I've never met this possible close cousin - we just started communicating a couple of years ago-, but if our test confirm the relationship, I'll make plans... My sister even lives in the vicinity of his home.

Oh yeah, we shared pictures (my grandfather, my father, his grandmother) and the resemblances are striking.

If it works out, he'll get to add 4 Mayflower passengers to his ancestry! That was a fun discovery of a couple of years ago!

Here's hoping for a positive result!

Comment

Working...
        X