Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FamilyFinder Test

Hi

I am interested in trying this test but am not sure it will give me the info I seek. I am researching my great grandfather who came from Ireland as a 12 year old stowaway on a ship. I have no info about his family in Ireland. Would this test help with connecting with relatives that far back?

Thanks

Peter

FTDNA say their Family Finder can locate 4th cousins or 5 generations of family. It will depend if the 'cousins' you seek have been tested I suppose!

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing...y-finder.aspx?

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/17.aspx

Hth

Comment

Thank you for the info.

Peter

Comment

Does anyone know how much FF is going to cost after 3/28?

Comment

left out

Anyone wondering why they were left out of the beta test? I know that I am. Is something wrong with my DNA? How was it decided? Am I going to have to pay more?
          Linda

Comment

I called about it. They told me they had conducted a lottery and choose from a pool of current customers.

Comment

Family finder test

Hello, i have on my pending page on family tree dna family finder.But when i log in using my same password and kit # on african dna. The pending page says family finder then chip 01. What does chip 01 mean, and why only on african dna and not on family tree dna.

Comment

I wasn't offered beta either. When there was a small flurry about beta in other threads I wondered what they were talking about and eventually figured that only a select group was chosen. I didn't know it was a lottery (and I doubt it was random).
                My ftdna personal page has the advertisement for family finder and I clicked on it and gave my email address to be notified when it becomes available-I think I read in mid-April.
                I didn't see anything on my ftdna personal page about chip 01 either. I wonder what that is about.
                Last edited by rainbow; 4th April 2010, 10:01 PM.

Comment

[email protected]

If anyone wants to ask ftdna directly, their email address is [email protected]

p.s. Don't be scared to ask.

Comment

I have about 7 different family members tested at FTDNA. I got invites for about half of them, but not others, I cant see a reason why some where asked and the others not. They had all done extensive testing. 67 yDNA, FGS, advanced markers, autosomal etc... Maybe it was just random.

Also each project admin could put forward a member for the Beta test, which I did for my own kit as I wasnt invited to Beta test.

Comment

^It must be great to be a project administrator.

I'm gonna continue to invite 23andme Relative Finder cousins. Maybe when I'm done I'll be in time for FTDNA's omega?

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                        ^It must be great to be a project administrator.

I'm gonna continue to invite 23andme Relative Finder cousins. Maybe when I'm done I'll be in time for FTDNA's omega?
                        Rainbow,

I admin 3 projects, 2 Irish and 1 English surnames, no one was interested, so finally last week I put my kit forward.
                        Luckily my mt line connects with one of my surname projects so it may be of assistance to that project. (or I might get some new cousins on other lines.)
                        The other 2 projects have still not utilised the Beta test.

I'm not really sure who it benefits at the moment. I'll see how my kit goes with matches and then I can give the project members some info. As my family are all recent European/British, I'm not sure if I will get many matches if most of the people tested are mainly American. Depends on when their ancestors migrated to the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by PFE View Post
                          I am interested in trying this test but am not sure it will give me the info I seek. I am researching my great grandfather who came from Ireland as a 12 year old stowaway on a ship. I have no info about his family in Ireland. Would this test help with connecting with relatives that far back?
                          Have you exhausted your paper trail??
                          - do you have date of birth of your GGF (you know the year +/- 1)
                          - place of birth of your GGF
                          - marriage certificate of your GGF, might list his parents (depends on) or place of birth
                          - death certificate, see above wrt to info it might give
                          - have you checked familysearch.org for the family name in Ireland
                          - are you the only one researching your familyname, or do you have any cousins etc who are also doing the same and interested
                          - you write your GGF was 12yo when he arrived, did he change name when he arrived, was he "adopted", taken on by family etc? How sure are about the real (original) name of your GGF

This is crucial information that you should sort out before you even should start thinking about DNA tests (other then for the fun of it). If you have checked all this documents and are rather unsure about his real name only then YDNA tests could be of help, just maybe. If you know the name for sure and you know the birthyear (preferably also month and day) then there are so many paper sources to consult before also this appears a dead-end. GGF is typically mid/end 19th century, that's not all that long ago.

If DNA tests are the only remaining option, then it depends on if your GGF was directly along the male line (father of the father of your father), or if there was a female branch halfway (father of the mother of your father, for example). In the former case, a 37 or 67 YDNA marker test would be a start In the latter case, pretty hopeless unless you have identified potential familymembers and want to test against them.

Comment

Hi
                            Thank you for your suggestions and interest. I have investigated most of them. Family folklore indicated he left a sister behind. The marriage and death certificates indicate only Ireland as the birth place. I think I will have to get a genealogists in Ireland involved. My Y-DNA results from the first two panels[1-25 locus] predicts 100% South Irish type 11. I am waiting for the rest of my Y-DNA DYS values [25-67].

PFE

Comment

>> I have investigated most of them. Family folklore indicated he left a sister behind. The marriage and death certificates indicate only Ireland as the birth place. I think I will have to get a genealogists in Ireland involved.

ok, so what you say is that you have no idea where your GGF was born/lived before he left other than "Ireland", and familysearch.org did not help you in narrowing down potential locations, eventhough you are quite or absolutely sure about his name? (either because there are too many with the same surname, or too few, or relevant records are missing). Clearly you did not find his birth record in familysearch I assume. Have you tried civil registers from Ireland, I am not sure but maybe some are on-line. In Holland for example, all civil registers (birth/marriage/death) from after 1812 are collected by the state in one access database which you can simply query on-line, incredibly useful. Not sure about Ireland. Did you do a name search on the surname, e.g. Irish telephone directory. This may give clues on local distribution of the name and possible civil registers that need to be searched. This is typically what payed-for genealogists would do. To my mind it doesn't sound as an impossible case, just a heck of records checking.

>> My Y-DNA results from the first two panels[1-25 locus] predicts 100% South Irish type 11. I am waiting for the rest of my Y-DNA DYS values [25-67].

Well you will need an extremely good match to get anything out of it, like 37/37. Sometimes the opposite can also be useful, like not better than say 20/37 (for R-P312*) - which is close to what I have (not Ireland) meaning that I have to look in areas that are undersampled. So that's also a clue.
                              Ultimately we're all 100% african, if you go back far enough, between Africa and Ireland a lot of people moved in a lot of different ways and crossed a lot of different lands. I don't know what to read into that.

Comment

Working...
                              X