family finder results anyone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family finder results anyone??

hi folks.. results are starting to trickle in - i see on dnaforums.com.. hope to read about everyone's results here soon.. does ANYONE know how many people are being tested in the "beta" process? I ask because I'm intrigued that already people are getting back results of "cousins"...granted, they are 4th & 5th cousins, but cousins nonetheless.

best to all...roger c. memos ysearch: GKCMZ ps any "mooney" or "martin" famly members taking the test? hope so...

Originally posted by rcmemos View Post
    hi folks.. results are starting to trickle in - i see on dnaforums.com.. hope to read about everyone's results here soon.. does ANYONE know how many people are being tested in the "beta" process? I ask because I'm intrigued that already people are getting back results of "cousins"...granted, they are 4th & 5th cousins, but cousins nonetheless.

best to all...roger c. memos ysearch: GKCMZ ps any "mooney" or "martin" famly members taking the test? hope so...

You are supposed to get cousins..you do not get a group of non related persons but those who have a match with you of a certain length. I am not sure what theirs is but to be signifiicant it should be more than 5 cM

Comment

There definitely are results in and they have some matches. So for sure it is working

Comment

I Have Cousins

With the first reponse back from FTDNA, I have four matches, three 5th Cousins and one 4th cousin. Of the four matches, 3 have matching ancestoral surnames to me. It looks to me that the ancestoral surnames were derived from submitted GEDCOM files. If that is true then it would seem to be important to upload your GEDCOM to your account.

Comment

re: family finder & cousins..

hi kathleen:

i understand that the test tests for "cousins" I guess I'm wondering why only "distant" cousins like 4th or 5th cousins are showing up for people - and not more current 1st and 2nd cousins .. i'm hoping to find 2nd or 3rd - more current cousins - if they exist! thanks so much... roger

Ysearch: GKCMZ

Comment

Family Finder ancestral surnames

You can add the ancestral surnames individually or you can upload them in bulk via a GEDCOM. If you have quite a few, it's probably faster to upload the GEDCOM.

Mark
            FTDNA

Comment

hi kathleen:

i understand that the test tests for "cousins" I guess I'm wondering why only "distant" cousins like 4th or 5th cousins are showing up for people - and not more current 1st and 2nd cousins .. i'm hoping to find 2nd or 3rd - more current cousins - if they exist! thanks so much... roger

I was not sure....lots of folks do not understand it all..

Well the odds are in favor of you getting 5th generation cousins..64 grandparents back there or something like that..

2-3rd cousin are a very lucky break but some folks do get them..

I got some significant 4th cousins ( 4 of us from 18C siblings). Some of those can be 3rd cousins as the determination is not precise.

Comment

thanks katleen..

hope i'm lucky!! i'm hoping to discover my real surname.. I have my mother's last name - and my father's given surname- was NOT Fuller.. my grandmother had many aliases ( and many secrets).. with this new test, i would love to find real family... i'm thinking positive ( like my blood type B POSITIVE)!!

take care,
                roger

Comment

Just consider the math. Many people have maybe 30 first cousins, if they are lucky, & 300 second cousins.

People have, using the same formula, about 3,000 3rd cousins, & 30,000 4th cousins.

There is a far greater chance that a random participant, that you don't know, will show up in the crowd of 30,000, rather than in the tiny crowd of 300 or even 30.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

OK I signed up 3 or 4 days ago and I have gotten a invite already. So how long did it take, for you to start getting back results? Thanks

Comment

hi kathleen:

You won't get any first cousins (children of your mother and father's siblings) unless they test as well. I didn't do this test, I can't afford it. Even if I had I know I wouldn't get any results for first cousins as my family isn't as into genetic genealogy as I am and even if they were they wouldn't spend that kind of money on it.

Comment

hi kathleen:

Because the database is not large enough yet. Your chances for closer matches goes up with time.

Comment

I'm hoping that they are comparing the FF test to all of the Y-DNA and mtDNA test results along with any other test that might be helpful. Not just comparing FF test to FF test.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                            I'm hoping that they are comparing the FF test to all of the Y-DNA and mtDNA test results along with any other test that might be helpful. Not just comparing FF test to FF test.
                            The Family Finder test is a sampling of about 550,000 SNP's on the 22 autosomal chromosomes. There's also some X-chromosome info in the raw data file, but I don't think it's being used in the matching process. The FF test doesn't measure Y-DNA or mtDNA, so there is nothing that can be compared with those results.

Comment

100% guaranteed all three tests are separate databases and FF will require time to populate as the only data in it will be the FF tests.

Also you need either spare vials already at FTDNA or you will be sent a new sample kit of 2 more vials thus don't rely on your used sample vials for yDNA and/or mtDNA to be used for FF too.

It's all new.

Comment

Working...
                              X