X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA Going Autosomal!

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/family-finder.aspx

Looks good!

However, there's no indication of cost so far - anyone have an idea how much this is likely to be?

Comment

That's good news. Does this mean that FTDNA can do/will be doing admixture tests too? Will Family Finder include estimated admixture percentages?

I read it will have a raw data file. Can my 23andme be transferred to FTDNA? I could never read my raw data file anyway.

What about DNA Tribes results?

Comment

Why was it announced now?

What about the backlog of uncompleted FGS tests in the various batches? At least 3 people in Batch 330, who ordered their FGS in October, still don't have results.

Comment

Cost at introduction $249. 500K+ SNP's. FTDNA db will accept DeCodeMe and 23andMe uploads. I rather doubt FTDNA would include any Y or Mt testing in their assay as that would cannibalize markets where their tests are gold standard ... so the SNP's will all be autosomal.

Comment

Re Autosomal testing

Most of my relatives are dead. So I don't see a great need for me to have an autosomal test done. But I could change my mind later on.

Comment

If anyone from FTDNA is reading this, I would love to be in Family Finder beta too!

Comment

I haven't even used Relative Finder on 23andme. I probably won't order or use Family Finder. It sounds like a good tool, especially for adoptees.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                  Cost at introduction $249. 500K+ SNP's. FTDNA db will accept DeCodeMe and 23andMe uploads. I rather doubt FTDNA would include any Y or Mt testing in their assay as that would cannibalize markets where their tests are gold standard ... so the SNP's will all be autosomal.
                  I'm curious how you determined this? Everyone else says no.

Comment

My read of the autosomal promo is that the test will have the resolution to determine the likely degree of sibling/ cousinhood for any two people going out to about 3rd cousin (those who share a great-great grandparent with you).

I assume this will be based on percentages, sort of like with y-DNA testing, the likelihood of sharing a common patrilineal ancestor within X number of generation.

I hope that Family Tree DNA has done countless test on known siblings, first cousins, etc., so that their calculators are right on the mark.

I could see where this test could be quite helpful in cases where you think you have finally identified Grandpa's reputed, but long lost, half-brother, & guess what, he has a granddaughter, who is willing to be tested.

The real value though will be when the genealogists of the 21st century try to sort out all of the "broken family" type of kinships & quasi-kinships that became numerous during the last half of the 20th century, complete with state governments that were willing to alter & create phony replacement birth certificates to masquerade adoptions, etc., etc.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Family Finder

I have signed up for the Beta test.
                      Part of FTDNA's email is copied below. This test, if it is as good as it says, might well solve one of my genealogical mysteries from a possible illegitimacy 140 years ago though it might need 3 people to be tested to give an answer.

Family Tree DNA is pleased to inform you of the pre-launch of our newest and most exciting test: the autosomal-based Family Finder test. This pre-launch will progress in phases so that we do not exceed our lab’s capacity, and to ensure delivering results in a timely basis. We anticipate Family Finder will be offered for general release in the middle of March at the breakthrough price of $249.

While the Y-DNA matches men with a specific paternal line, and the mtDNA finds potential relatives only along the maternal line, Family Finder can look for close relationships along all ancestral lines.

You may now match to male and female cousins from any of your family lines within about five generations. The science -- uses linked blocks of DNA across the 22 autosomal chromosomes and matches them between two people. Linked blocks are determined by comparison of well over 500,000 HapMap SNPs. Based on this concept, our bioinformatics team has worked extensively to develop the calculations that tell you the closeness of the relationship.

The possibilities to find matches abound:
                      Aunts & Uncles, Parents and Grandparents
                      Half siblings and 1st cousins
                      2nd, 3rd, and 4th cousins
                      Possibly 5th cousins and beyond!

Special Note: The Family Finder test requires an untouched vial of DNA. If your kit does not have an extra vial on file, we will mail a collection kit for a new FREE DNA extraction. After ordering you will be notified by email whether we are able to use a stored vial or will be mailing a new collection kit.
                      Last edited by rdblair; 17th February 2010, 06:40 AM. Reason: Lost half of it

Comment

Originally posted by rdblair View Post
                        This pre-launch will progress in phases so that we do not exceed our lab’s capacity, and to ensure delivering results in a timely basis.
                        Seems FTDNA has learned lessons both in load balancing and expectation setting. Good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                          FTDNA db will accept DeCodeMe and 23andMe uploads.
                          Tomcat, where in the FAQs and other info did you see this information? I read, I thought, everything and certainly didn't notice the above - it might change my reticence to purchase a product which essentially duplicates what is already in the can - results from decodeme and 23andme. Also, is there any indication that they will be assessing the X chromosome?

Comment

heritage?

I am looking for a good test for heritage and it seems"autosomal" is a key word for that type of test. I was thinking maybe now I could do it through FTDNA. But the posts seems to be referring to finding relatives--
                            is this new test more of a relative finder and not a heritage identifier? Sounds very interesting though.

Comment

Link to FF FAQ:

http://tinyurl.com/ykyb4t3

I have read FTDNA's does not specifically mention testing X, not doing X would be a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X