Raw Data "Header Section"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Data "Header Section"

In looking at my raw data file for the Autosomal and the combined files I notice that it starts with a Chromosome 0 (zero) header section. Does anyone know what this is or how to interprate what is found here?

Which vendor and kit version?

Comment

When did you do your Family Finder test? I checked the raw data file for the most recently tested kit I manage, from 2019. It's for a male. It starts with Chromosome 1 and goes through to 22, then shows the X chromosome. No "0" chromosome. The column headers are RSID, Chromosome, Position and Result.

Someone else asked about Chromosome 0 back in 2016, but got no answers: https://forums.familytreedna.com/for...omosome-0-zero Maybe if you are male, Chromosome 0 stands for the fact that you don't have a second X chromosome, like females do? Just a guess.

The info in the Family Finder raw data shows the places on each chromosome that were tested and the results. The page How do I read my Family Finder raw data file? gives some information.https://learn.familytreedna.com/auto...raw-data-file/

The file is not very interesting. But you can use it to look up an RSID for a medical condition or trait to see if you have the right alleles for it. The file is used to find DNA matches. Also for myOrigins or whatever the ethnicity predictions are called at the other companies.

Comment

Family Finder kit with Family Tree DNA, results provided 09/23/22.

The information on the learn.familytree.dna.com pages don't mention anything about Chromosome 0 either. My data file goes 0-22 then XY, MT, and finally X, on the full file. The Chromosome 0 starts with a bunch of stuff other than the rsid's that the other poster was asking about as well as having way more than 15 of them with other lines with information that aren't rsids placed in the midst of the rsid's and at the end of the chromosome 0 section, but the rsid's listed in that section seem to be rsid's linked to different chromosomes 1-22 but don't show up under them.
        Last edited by chgruver; 29 September 2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I would put in a Customer support request, they should answer in a couple of days and then you can post here if the answer helped you.

Comment

Originally posted by chgruver View Post
            Family Finder kit with Family Tree DNA, results provided 09/23/22.

The information on the learn.familytree.dna.com pages don't mention anything about Chromosome 0 either. My data file goes 0-22 then XY, MT, and finally X, on the full file. The Chromosome 0 starts with a bunch of stuff other than the rsid's that the other poster was asking about as well as having way more than 15 of them with other lines with information that aren't rsids placed in the midst of the rsid's and at the end of the chromosome 0 section, but the rsid's listed in that section seem to be rsid's linked to different chromosomes 1-22 but don't show up under them.
            I've been comparing a lot of raw data lately and what I see is consistent with what blanko said. Makes me wonder if FTDNA is up to something.

Comment

I just sent customer service a question regarding the significance of this chromosome 0 "header" as well as the apparent inclusion of the "XY" and "MT" chromosome sections which aren't mentioned in the Learning Center article; and I will respond with what I find out. It also looks like this format of the raw data started sometime in 2019 as in my google searching to find out the information on my own I came across a site that people will upload their raw data to share with others and the autosomal files that have the chromosome 0, "XY", and "MT" sections go as early as 09/2019 going by the timestamp in the filename.

Comment

Might be from when FTDNA changed the chipset for Family Finder. I have not downloaded any raw data from the new version of the test. I will be looking forward to the answer which you receive.

Thank you for pursuing this.

Comment

I checked the raw data file for the most recently tested kit I manage, from 2019.
                  I should correct this part of my post above. The date completed was February 2017, I don't know why I thought it was 2019. I saw chgruver's other post about kits from late 2019 to the present being from a newer chip.

Comment

Considering it has been a week since I sent the question to Customer Support, which claimed a reply in 72 hours or the next business day, either they don't know or don't want to say.

I think the difference in formats has to do with the kit numbers, as the raw data format similar to mine the kit number follows the format of AM12345 while the other format of the raw data looks to have kit numbers formatted as 123456.

As someone mentioned with the chips, it might just be how they generate the raw data files from the data the chips related to the one type of kit number generates.

Comment

Working...
                    X