Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to manually enter match relation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it possible to manually enter match relation?

    I am an adoptee, and my family tree is unique due to how my birth parents were related to each other. Because of that, sometimes when I enter a dna match on my FTDNA family tree and link it, the relation is not correct. I have a close family match who is my half niece on my paternal side & 1st cousin on my maternal side, total of 1749cMs, she is 50 & I am 60, so we already eliminated two of four possible relations based on our ages, and she just got her Mtdna results which confirms we did not have the same mother. We do not have the same birth father either, but we are related on both of our paternal sides. Is there a way I can manually input our correct relations?

  • #2
    Since you have a family tree in your account, have you tried adding her in her proper place in your tree? She should then show in your match list with that relationship. Perhaps the system will recognize the possibilities if you place her correctly, connected to the proper people to reflect her unique relationship. There used to be a "known relationship" column in the Family Finder match list, which allowed users to select the relationship for such known relatives, but that was removed a few years ago when something else changed. But it only allowed you to specify one relationship (niece OR 1st cousin, for example), and I think the match was notified when you picked a relationship.

    The only other option I'm aware of is to add a note by clicking on the small gray "square with pencil" icon just under her name in your match list. You can then enter text and save it by clicking on the check mark. This does not make your text visible, though, unless you click on the icon to see it (icon will be blue vs. gray once you've entered text).
    Last edited by KATM; 21st July 2019, 05:58 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I did add her in the correct place on my family tree. My birth mother was a full brother to her birth father. My birth father was a father of her birth father, so her paternal grandfather. Her birth father was a half brother to me. I linked her but the relation is showing as "sister" and it actually is half niece on my paternal side & 1st cousin on my maternal side. I will probably have to enter that note you mentioned. I let her know I am trying to fix it if I can. She knows what our relation is, so no big deal with her, just thought maybe I could fix it. Thanks for your help.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DWFlineage View Post
        My family tree is unique. My birth mother was a full brother to her birth father.
        That would be unique.

        Comment


        • #5
          I understand the circumstances leading up to why I was placed into foster care for five months & adopted. I was fortunate to be adopted by loving parents, and my adopted father is still living, 98 yrs old and I am his caretaker. I started searching 2003 by contacting the Children's Home Society of Florida, obtained non id & family health history and later in 2009 started doing dna testing, and just in the past year solved my family puzzle completely.

          Comment


          • #6
            Congratulations on your success. I know you've posted about it before, but it's always nice to hear of such difficult puzzles being solved.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KATM View Post
              Congratulations on your success. I know you've posted about it before, but it's always nice to hear of such difficult puzzles being solved.
              Thanks very much!!! I recently posted in the adoptee forum to two sister adoptees; basically telling them to use every tool in the toolbox; testing at different sites like FTDNA, 23andMe, ancestry, uploading to gedmatch; and also suggested a genealogist to them who solved most of my family puzzle, and has solved over 500 adoptee cases. I told these other adoptees, that despite Florida being a closed adoption State, even getting non id info is helpful; definitely helpful in my case; because I verified info by getting death certificate; thereby verifying who my grandmother was on my maternal side; based on what my birth mother shared with the Children's Home Society. Dave-Genealogist hit the bullseye in regard to my birth mother, and was close to the bullseye regarding my birth father, but I zeroed in and confirmed my birth father was in a different branch of the paternal line. Another tool that really confirmed everything was a genetic scientific team who analyzed my autosomal raw results at gedmatch, and were able to view my dna matching as well, and determined who my birth father & birth mother were.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DWFlineage View Post
                My birth mother was a full brother to her birth father. My birth father was a father of her birth father, so her paternal grandfather.
                Are your mom and her brother full siblings? Was your mother impregnated by her father?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Serket View Post

                  Are your mom and her brother full siblings? Was your mother impregnated by her father?
                  Yes, my birth mother was impregnated by her birth father, sad to say. The close family dna match I mentioned just discovered through her dna match to me that her birth father was a full brother of my birth mother. We do not have the same birth mother, but we do have the same grandmother(mother of my birth mom & mother of her birth father). My birth father was her paternal grandfather. We match 1718cMs total at FTDNA, 1749cMs at ancestry, and just over 1800cMs at gedmatch. I am in good health. I have two daughters & 6 grandchildren.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DWFlineage View Post
                    I am an adoptee, and my family tree is unique due to how my birth parents were related to each other. Because of that, sometimes when I enter a dna match on my FTDNA family tree and link it, the relation is not correct. I have a close family match who is my half niece on my paternal side & 1st cousin on my maternal side, total of 1749cMs, she is 50 & I am 60, so we already eliminated two of four possible relations based on our ages, and she just got her Mtdna results which confirms we did not have the same mother. We do not have the same birth father either, but we are related on both of our paternal sides. Is there a way I can manually input our correct relations?
                    I experimented by adding my close relative on my ancestry tree, same gedcom as FTDNA, and she comes up as niece, so there must be something wrong with FTDNA family tree? Maybe I should try the beta type?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DWFlineage View Post

                      Yes, my birth mother was impregnated by her birth father, sad to say. The close family dna match I mentioned just discovered through her dna match to me that her birth father was a full brother of my birth mother. We do not have the same birth mother, but we do have the same grandmother(mother of my birth mom & mother of her birth father). My birth father was her paternal grandfather. We match 1718cMs total at FTDNA, 1749cMs at ancestry, and just over 1800cMs at gedmatch. I am in good health. I have two daughters & 6 grandchildren.
                      I was going to ask if you had any health or fertility problems, so I'm glad it worked out for you. Was it rape or consensual? Was your niece also adopted? I've seen other examples on this forum of incest so it's probably more common than most of us think.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Serket View Post

                        I was going to ask if you had any health or fertility problems, so I'm glad it worked out for you. Was it rape or consensual? Was your niece also adopted? I've seen other examples on this forum of incest so it's probably more common than most of us think.
                        I was the second child born from this union, actually communicated with my older sister who was also adopted, but she has not been very interested in her biological famly. My half niece/1st cousin was raised by her biological mom and her step-father who she thought was her biological father who died 1972 when she was 4 yrs old. She always thought she looked different from her brothers & sisters and kept asking her birth mom, but the birth mom got very upset with her asking, so she let it go. She decided to do the ancestry autosomal dna test, which is where we first matched 1749cMs, and she agreed to transfer to FTDNA & gedmatch. I recently communicated with a lady in her 80s who informed me that my birth father actually fathered two children by two different daughters, so I was the second child from his oldest daughter from second marriage. My birth father fathered 12 children by two wives, first wife died Jan 1937 & second wife died Nov 1949, I was born Sept 1958 & my older sister was born 1956, so he fathered two more children from another one of his daughters probably after 1958, so most likely those two other children were also adopted, which means I could have two other half siblings out there somewhere. He did have a daughter born Oct 1942, so she could have been the other daughter who had children by him.

                        Very sad family situation, but I had no control over how I was conceived. This was a one generation event in my family tree; where there can be health problems is when the close family relations continue through multiple generations. I am in good health. I keep myself in shape & eat the right foods.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've wondered before whether genealogy programs allow for incest. Obviously it does happen, so you'd think a program would be incomplete without that option. On Ancestry when you look at someone in your tree it says how you are related. It should be possible to program it to allow for multiple relationships. You can probably bypass all of this confusion by creating trees that only have your maternal line. Since your dad and mom are so closely related, you basically don't have a paternal line so you wouldn't be leaving anybody out. Of course, if you are a man you'd still have his Y-DNA. On DNA Painter the options for 1700-1800 cMs are: Grandparent, Aunt/Uncle, Half-Sibling, Niece/Nephew and Grandchild.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Serket View Post
                            I've wondered before whether genealogy programs allow for incest. Obviously it does happen, so you'd think a program would be incomplete without that option. On Ancestry when you look at someone in your tree it says how you are related. It should be possible to program it to allow for multiple relationships. You can probably bypass all of this confusion by creating trees that only have your maternal line. Since your dad and mom are so closely related, you basically don't have a paternal line so you wouldn't be leaving anybody out. Of course, if you are a man you'd still have his Y-DNA. On DNA Painter the options for 1700-1800 cMs are: Grandparent, Aunt/Uncle, Half-Sibling, Niece/Nephew and Grandchild.
                            I sort of understand what you mean by "you basically don't have a paternal line", but in reality I do have a paternal line that just happens to also be my birth mother's paternal line, ugh. My birth mother was a full sister to the birth father of my close relation who matches me 1718cMs at FTDNA & 1749cMs at ancestry, she is actually a half niece on my paternal side & 1st cousin on my maternal side. At ancestry my half niece/1st cousin shows as niece, but at FTDNA she shows as sister, and I uploaded the same gedcom to ancestry & FTDNA?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X