Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Autosomal DNA Results - Mixed Child 0% European

Dear all,

Since receiving my autosomal dna results (family finder) I had a hard time understanding it given my personal circumstances.

I am the only child of a Moroccan father and Romanian mother. The results on My Origins were as follows:
    Middle Eastern 88% (North African 80%, 8% East Middle East)
    African 11% (West Africa 7%, East Central Africa 4%)
    Trace results <2 for West Middle East
    All other areas/regions of the world, including Europe were at 0%.

I cannot understand how can that be. Those results match my father origins yes, but seem to completely exclude what I thought were my European origins given to me by my mother, who is Romanian with some ancestry from Germany and Serbia.

How can I interpret this? Is it possible for a child with a European mother to show a 0% European ethnicity? I have consulted the raw data, my matches and read a lot on the topic. I accept that one origin may appear prevalent, ans the genetics are complex and subject to recombination, but I cannot come to terms with the 0% European with a parent of that origin, especially when the results match very well my dad’s ethnicity.

I would need some help are those results were quite shocking for me. Is there any chances this could be accurate? If so, is such a result possible in my circumstances. Because I am starting to have doubts regarding whether my mother is my biological one to this point.

I hope someone can help me

Many thanks,

Rita

In general, there are many reasons to doubt the accuracy of "ethnic origins" results. In your case, you may want to consider whether your Family Finder matches are consistent with the report of 0 percent European ancestry. If you find matches who seem to be entirely or mostly of European ancestry, that would tend to invalidate the 0 percent figure.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
      In general, there are many reasons to doubt the accuracy of "ethnic origins" results. In your case, you may want to consider whether your Family Finder matches are consistent with the report of 0 percent European ancestry. If you find matches who seem to be entirely or mostly of European ancestry, that would tend to invalidate the 0 percent figure.
      Thank you for your reply.

At least half of my matches seem to be of mainly European Ancestry (England, Ireland, Spain, Austria) but none from the area my mother comes from Eastern Europe

Comment

Dear Rita,
        MyOrigins has done a fine job of picking up Southeast European DNA and East European DNA in people who have it. Considering your absolute zero percent European DNA of any kind in this test, and lack of ethnic Romanian cousin matches, I am sorry to have to agree with your suspicion that the woman you thought was your biological mother cannot be.

Your DNA also doesn't match the majority DNA of other types of people who have historically lived in Romania such as Hungarians, Romani Gypsies, Saxon Germans, and Sephardic Jews. All of those groups have partial-to-full European DNA of various kinds. Romani have some Middle Eastern DNA and Sephardic Jews have significant North African and Middle Eastern DNA, but far from exclusively. So not only ethnic Romanians are ruled out for your heritage, but any past residents of Romania, as well.

Using your raw data on other sites, like GEDmatch and MyHeritage, you can confirm this. For example, in GEDmatch's Eurogenes K36 calculator your scores for elements like "East Balkan" and "East-Central Europe" will surely be very low or nonexistent, consistent with MyOrigins.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
          Dear Rita,
          MyOrigins has done a fine job of picking up Southeast European DNA and East European DNA in people who have it. Considering your absolute zero percent European DNA of any kind in this test, and lack of ethnic Romanian cousin matches, I am sorry to have to agree with your suspicion that the woman you thought was your biological mother cannot be.

Your DNA also doesn't match the majority DNA of other types of people who have historically lived in Romania such as Hungarians, Romani Gypsies, Saxon Germans, and Sephardic Jews. All of those groups have partial-to-full European DNA of various kinds. Romani have some Middle Eastern DNA and Sephardic Jews have significant North African and Middle Eastern DNA, but far from exclusively. So not only ethnic Romanians are ruled out for your heritage, but any past residents of Romania, as well.

Using your raw data on other sites, like GEDmatch and MyHeritage, you can confirm this. For example, in GEDmatch's Eurogenes K36 calculator your scores for elements like "East Balkan" and "East-Central Europe" will surely be very low or nonexistent, consistent with MyOrigins.

Thank you for your reply,

What about the relationship between my AncientOrigins and myOrigins? Do they have to be consistent with each other?

They give me:

3% Metal Age Invader
          63% Farmer
          4% Hunter Gatherer
          30% Non-European

When I used the Matrix tool over my matches, all the matches including my closesest one, which were of North African or Spanish origin shared DNA. The other half which are from Northern Europe with some 100% European results, and my match from Austria/Germany were, for most of them, related too.

I am still waiting for my mtDNA results, too.

Started like a hobby but now it’s getting serious!

Thank you for your help.

Rita

Comment

Originally posted by rbgp View Post
            Thank you for your reply,

What about the relationship between my AncientOrigins and myOrigins? Do they have to be consistent with each other?

They give me:

3% Metal Age Invader
            63% Farmer
            4% Hunter Gatherer
            30% Non-European

When I used the Matrix tool over my matches, all the matches including my closesest one, which were of North African or Spanish origin shared DNA. The other half which are from Northern Europe with some 100% European results, and my match from Austria/Germany were, for most of them, related too.

I am still waiting for my mtDNA results, too.

Started like a hobby but now it’s getting serious!

Thank you for your help.

Rita

The Farmer results are consistent with southern Europe. The Non European could mean anything. As Khazaria notes it would be of value to upload to Gedmatch

Comment

Can you test your mother or any of her siblings?

I would never make ethnicity results the basis of deciding that your mother wasn't really your mother. I would use the amount of DNA shared with her, her sibling, niece, nephew, cousin, etc. to decide that.

Even if she was born in Romania, one or both of her parents could have been immigrants from the Middle East, or her grandparents.
              Last edited by MoberlyDrake; 31 August 2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X