To anyone on this forum with definite German ancestry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To anyone on this forum with definite German ancestry

Has anyone here with definitive German ancestry ever taken the Family Finder test and come up with no Western European but a high percentage of British Isles?

Originally posted by Rhonda Hatton View Post
    Has anyone here with definitive German ancestry ever taken the Family Finder test and come up with no Western European but a high percentage of British Isles?
    Western European people and British Isles people share a common origin and there will be overlap.

Both areas saw Celtic settlement and Germanic settlement, and not to mention the groups of people who pre-date the Celts and Germanics.

Comment

Father: 50% German, 25% UK, 25% Scotland
      Mother: 50% Norwegian, 25% Danish, 12.5% Chippewa, 12.5% French Canadian

Me:25% German, 25% Norwegian, 12.5% Danish, 12.5 UK, 12.5% Scots, 6.25 Chippewa and 6.25 French Canadian

Results from FTDNA:

Scandinavia 42%
      West and Central Europe 28%
      British Isles 15%
      Iberia 7%
      Southeast Europe 6%

The Iberian result is the odd one for me....

Comment

The British/German (and Scandinavian) results are definitely just a big mess.

I should be about 35% British, 25% German, and 12.5% Norwegian but myOrigins results:
        54% British Isles
        6% West/Central Europe
        0% Scandinavian

My dad should be about 20% British and 30% German - his results:
        0% British Isles
        65% West/Central Europe

My mom should be about 50% British, 20% German (and about 2-3% Dutch and 2-3% French), and 25% Norwegian - her results:
        35% British Isles
        0% West/Central Europe
        42% Scandinavian

My paternal grandfather should be about 40% British and 60% German - his results:
        0% British
        84% West/Central Europe

These regions just share too much DNA to tell them apart, at least with FTDNA's reference populations. LivingDNA was able to tell them apart very accurately for me.
        Last edited by Germanica; 25th April 2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Read this

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...erman-ancestry

My mother is about 75% French and German. She always gets too high a percentage of British Isles and a low percentage of Western European. The peoples of Europe have been freely mixing for thousands of years - migrations, wars, conquest, trade, individuals moving - just read a history!

Here's another article https://dna-explained.com/2016/02/10...g-a-conundrum/

Comment

three full siblings, 1 grandparent with British and the other three grandparents with German ancestors. Today the latter could also be called half Polish/half German, because half of their ancestors were from Lower Silesia - apply your personal definition of 'German'.

European 100%
            British Isles 42%
            East Europe 20%
            Scandinavia 14%
            Southeast Europe 12%
            West and Central Europe 12%

European 100%
            British Isles 75%
            East Europe 25%

European 98%
            Scandinavia 40%
            West and Central Europe 35%
            East Europe 23%
            Trace Results
            West Middle East < 2% (ignored below)

It is very interesting to see that the highest percentage for each region quickly adds up to 185% (to my understanding 200% would be the theoretical maximum, but typical percentage should be much lower):
            British Isles 75%
            Scandinavia 40%
            West and Central Europe 35%
            East Europe 23%
            Southeast Europe 12%
            SUM 185%

average for the three siblings:
            British Isles 39%
            East Europe 23%
            Scandinavia 18%
            West and Central Europe 16%
            Southeast Europe 4%

To me, these ethnicity tests (below continental level) are no more than interesting entertainment/imagination.

Comment

This regards a particular person.

The reason I wonder is because someone unrelated to me has German ancestry AND British ancestry coming from several different bloodlines in his ancestry; when he tested at FTDNA, he was almost completely British Isles, but when he tested with Ancestry, he had over 30 per cent Western European. I wondered if FTDNA was confusing German with Anglo-Saxon.
              None of the percentages in the replies on this post so far are very shocking, considering you don't inherit ethnicity according to how many people in your family had that ancestry; it depends more on who's genetics you favored.

Comment

What is there to confuse? The Anglo-Saxons take their name from the Germanic tribes known as the Angles, Saxons and Jutes who came from Schleswig-Holstein in the Jutland peninsula.

BOTH Germany and the British Isles have an overlap in the people who settled in these areas between the early hunter-gathering people to the later Celts and Germanics.

Ethnicity estimation is not an exact science. To be fair, depending on your definition of Western Europe even the British Isles can be included in the geographical term...

Comment

The reason I wonder is because someone unrelated to me has German ancestry AND British ancestry coming from several different bloodlines in his ancestry; when he tested at FTDNA, he was almost completely British Isles, but when he tested with Ancestry, he had over 30 per cent Western European. I wondered if FTDNA was confusing German with Anglo-Saxon.
                  Angles and Saxons were Germanic tribes. So it's not really a "confusion" it's just means the British and Germans share a lot of DNA. One company's samples from Britain might be very Germanic, resulting in German DNA showing up British, while another company's British samples might be less Germanic (more Celtic or Viking) and therefore someone's British Anglo-Saxon DNA turns up in West Europe. (That's sort of a simplification but in principle it should illustrate what I mean).

None of the percentages in the replies on this post so far are very shocking, considering you don't inherit ethnicity according to how many people in your family had that ancestry; it depends more on who's genetics you favored.
                  That's true, but if you want a comparison, I can give you that. I gave you my family's FTDNA results, but you can view our results from multiple companies here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...sW3Et4/pubhtml - My FTDNA and AncestryDNA results are fairly consistent now with myOrigins 2.0, but check out my dad and paternal grandfather. My dad goes from 22% British and Ireland combined at AncestryDNA to 0% British Isles at FTDNA. 19% Europe West to 65% West/Central Europe. My grandfather's British: 67% vs 11%. Europe West 15% vs West/Central Europe 0%. Scandinavian 1% vs 48%.

Comment

Basically the current version of Origons is not very good

My brother has: 85% British Isles
                    10% Southeast Europe
                    5& East Europe

My origons are 55& British Isles
                    40% West and Central Europe
                    5% Southeast Europe

Our ancestors are English, Scot, Irish, German and French.

Comment

Yes, Anglo-Saxon

My results came in telling me “British Isles”, which I had to laugh at. Through traditional genealogy going many generations back, I know I have I have zero British Isles ancestors.

But I studied. And what I discovered was that my Danish ancestors were Angles (from northern Denmark) and my German ancestors were Saxons (from lower Saxony). An easy mistake to make on the part of FTDNA.

This was revolutionary though, because according to St Bede, who wrote on the Angles and Saxons migrating to Britannia, The regions of Anglia and Saxony were completely depopulated by the migration.

The DNA refutes this strident claim. There must have been enough of a remaining gene pool in both regions to bring the original Angle and Saxon DNA forward into modern times.

To give St Bede a break, he may have been referring to lower Denmark and upper Saxony. Those two regions do adjoin, and the alliance and migration may have been limited to those two neighbors. They could well have been depopulated, with the aforementioned gene pools remaining in the more geographically extreme areas of Denmark and Germany.

Comment

I have a family member 100% German as defined by
                        all 4 grandparents born in Germany (Central and Eastern)
                        Results are

European 99%
                        British Isles 75%
                        East Europe 24%

Thus using family finder to sort East vs West out is going
                        difficult if not impossible.

Comment

I got the opposite result here at FTDNA. However, testing with LivingDNA I did get that result.

Family Tree DNA results:

British Isles 26%

Western Europe 68% (this includes both my French heritage and my German. My great Grandmother was 100% French (Canadian), but my paternal grandmother and my maternal grandfather also had a lot of German.

I also have 3% Southeast Europe, and trace regions in Finnish, Oceania, central asian (India), and North/central American.

I have a lot of Scottish via paper trail, yet I didn't specifically get Scottish/Irish to come up in the DNA here.

At LivingDNA, however:

90% British and Irish

8% Europe North and West (they tried to further define as Scandinavian)

And 1.3% Asia South (India again)

On this site, there is a break down of the UK contribution by country/region and there is 3.7% in Southeast England that has a disclaimer, stating:

If you have Southeast England ancestry that you didn’t expect: If you expected Germanic ancestry, then it is likely that it has been mistaken for British ancestry. If you expected British ancestry, but not East Anglian, then it is possible that you possess a slightly higher Anglo-Saxon ancestry proportion than expected and East Anglia is used to represent this.

This site also shows Scottish ancestry, as I would expect...however, does not show French or German specifically (the Europe north and west might be representing this, but they guessed it to be Scandinavian.)

I also took my raw DNA from FTDNA and uploaded it at MyHeritage. They didn't show ANY Asian/Indian/trace regions at all. And, instead, said I was 100% European:

49.5% North&West European

29.9% English

20.6% Scandinavian

All the sites said fairly drastically different estimates within the European break down, though were 3% within being European as a whole. Point being, this is NOT an exact science. They can tell if you're EUROPEAN, or ASIAN, or AFRICAN, or NATIVE AMERICAN predominantly...however, breaking down regions within these main clusters is much more difficult to pinpoint accurately. I thought my British was over estimated with LivingDNA, under estimated with FTDNA, and then wtf?@randomly saying a whopping 20% Scandinavian at MyHeritage? I say, if you test with multiple companies, or upload your DNA and have it evaluated by multiple calculators, you're probably going to get a more accurate admixture result by averaging ALL results you have received from every where. But, that's my opinion. Until this science gets more precise, our ethnicity estimates will be just that...an estimate. Subject to interpretation.

Comment

Absolutely true.

The results of any of these companies are highly subject to interpretation; we live in a world where prominent zygomatic bones are called ''high cheekbones'' never mind they're usually not any higher or lower than usual, they're just thicker! How then will scientists know anything about ancestry?

Comment

Working...
                            X