38188, 5.3% no-calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38188, 5.3% no-calls

I got my family finder results back last Thursday and ran my results through the gedmatch diagnostic test today and I have 38188, no calls:

No-calls = 38188 = 5.3755554961212 percent.

This kit has an unusually high number of no-calls, which usually results in a larger number of false matches.

What should I do? Buy another family finder kit to do a retest or should I go with another testing company to see how the results compare?

Problems with downloading to GEDmatch for FTDNA samples?

I realise that I have the same problem!
    I was downloading to GEDmatch in January but realised today that there are too many no-calls. I deleted my kit and downloaded it again but I still have the same problem as you.The same number of no calls for the new download.
    This was my message from the diagnostics report for the new kit.
    Number of SNPs utilized by GEDmatch template = 710401
    Number of regular SNPs = 680701
    Heterozygosity index = 0.27766852805669 (fraction of total SNPs that are heterozygous)

No-calls = 29700 = 4.1807373581963 percent.

This kit has an unusually high number of no-calls, which usually results in a larger number of false matches.

I hope someone can help with this.
    Regards Louis

Comment

5 percent is definitely an unusually high fraction of no-calls. I am surprised that FTDNA will release such results. I would have expected them to rerun the sample. You should call FTDNA to see if they would be willing to rerun the sample in hopes of achieving a more acceptable level of no-calls.

Comment

32934 no calls: 4.64%

I just realized that my kit had 32934 or 4.64% no-calls. That seems like an awful lot. What is the acceptable limit?

Comment

I just checked my kit on GEDmatch, Family Finder test taken and
          uploaded 2017:

Number of SNPs utilized by GEDmatch template = 709242
          Number of regular SNPs = 693706
          Heterozygosity index = 0.289846 (fraction of total SNPs that are heterozygous)

No-calls = 16695 = 2.3500811513497 percent.

Is this acceptable for no calls? Appreciate opinion of those with more experience

Comment

I have been asking myself the same question. My first kit in 2017 had 2.5% no-calls (result= '--'). From then on, the next six kits had between 4.4% and 4.6% no-calls...

Now this is interesting:
            2.0% (14.165) positions are no-calls that are shared by all seven kits.

From that perspective, the first kit has an additional 0.5% and the next kits an additional 2.4% - 2.6% no-calls at differing positions.

3.7% (26.732) positions are no-calls that are shared by the last six kits.

I don't have an explanation for this, but some guesses.

For the variation between first and next kits: It could be that the first kit got analysed several times, and the results were combined, thus improving the quality. Or the technical process/quality thresholds changed after the first kit.

For the constant positions: These could have been filtered out in the results for reasons unknown, or there are just certain positions that are more likely to fail the test.

Comment

To provide more GEDmatch data samples:

My FTDNA: No-calls = 16235 = 2.2858470376211 percent.

Brother's FTDNA: No-calls = 16596 = 2.3361453601557 percent.

My Ancestry: No-calls = 755 = 0.16586990526741 percent.

No way to know why FTDNA no-call results are so much higher than Ancestry results.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
                ....No way to know why FTDNA no-call results are so much higher than Ancestry results.
                The recent Ancestry data file I checked had ~500K SNPs, the FTDNA file had >700K. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post
                  The recent Ancestry data file I checked had ~500K SNPs, the FTDNA file had >700K. Maybe that has something to do with it.
                  Family Finder used to be lower. Maybe they are using the remaining stockpile of the old chips with questionable quality before they are forced to use the newer chip.

That raises the question though of which chip AncestryDNA currently is using.

Jack

Comment

My no-call rates:

23 and Me: .32%
                    FTDNA: .44%
                    Ancestry: 1.35%

My FTDNA and 23 tests were done 6+ years ago.
                    Ancestry ~3 years ago.
                    Last edited by Biblioteque; 7th June 2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X