Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Assertions Can Be Made from this DNA Data?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Assertions Can Be Made from this DNA Data?

I think one assertion can definitely be made from the data belowand maybe two. It is a list of my mother's closest Hampton matches in approximate order. Most are from Ancestry, but I inserted a few from FTDNA and 23andMe, so the order may not be exact, as each company has a different formula for computing the amount of shared DNA.

My mother's great-grandfather was either the son of James W. Hampton or the son of his brother Zachariah Hampton. I think it's perfectly clear from the data that he was the son of James W.

James W. and Zachariah were the sons of Enoch Hampton (b. abt. 1808, KY). Enoch Hampton's father is unknown, but look how many matches Mom has who are descended from David Hampton and Sarah (Wilson?)! David Hampton had no son or grandson named Enoch. How certain can I be that Enoch Hampton was an ILLEGITIMATE son or grandson of David Hampton???

Match A - 91 cM across 3 segments (FTDNA)
    Descendant of James W. Hampton and Catherine Wallace, through son Francis

Match B - 68 cM across 3 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of Zachariah Hampton (brother of James W. Hampton) and Eliza Ellen Tewell

Match C - 60 cM across 3 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of James W. Hampton and Catherine Wallace, through daughter, Sarah

Match D - 58 cM (Ancestry) or 85 cM (23andMe) across 3 segments

Match E - 60 cM across 3 segments (23andMe)
    Descendant of James W. Hampton and Catherine Wallace, through daughter, Mary

Match F - 54 cM (Ancestry) or 73 cM (FTDNA) across 3 segments

Match G - 50 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)

Match H (half-brother of Match B) - 48 cM (Ancestry) or 59 cM (FTDNA) across 3 segments
    Descendant of Zachariah Hampton (brother of James W. Hampton) and Eliza Ellen Tewell

Match I - 46 cM across 3 segments (23andMe)

Match J - 39 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of George W. Hampton and Melissa Ballard, through daughter, Minerva

Match K - 36 cM across 1 segment (Ancestry)
    Descendant of George Hampton and Cornelia Henderson, through son, John

Match L - 35 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of David Hampton Sr. and Sarah (Wilson?), through son, Jesse

Match M - 34 cM across 1 segment (Ancestry)

Match N - 33 cM across 4 segments (Ancestry)

Match O - 32 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)

Match P - 31 cM across 1 segment (Ancestry)
    Descendant of David Hampton Sr. and Sarah (Wilson?), through son, George

Match Q - 29 cM across 1 segment (Ancestry)

Match R - 27 cM across 1 segment (23andMe)

Match S - 26 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of David Hampton Sr. and Sarah (Wilson?), through daughter, Sally

Match T - 27 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)

Match U - 25 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of Obediah Hampton and Elizabeth Goodman m. 14 Mar 1840 Rowan, NC

Match V - 23 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)

Match W - 21 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of George W. Hampton and Nancy Sapp

Match X - 18 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)

Match Y - 16 cM across 2 segments (Ancestry)
    Descendant of David Hampton Sr. and Sarah (Wilson?) through daughter, Sally
    Last edited by MoberlyDrake; 11th January 2018, 04:34 PM.
Working...
X