No announcement yet.

New Format for FF Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I quite like the new look, however, I am missing all my matches from May 28th to present. I assume once they get the bugs worked out I will get them back.

Comment

Unable to figure out how to add five matches from the "in common with" matches page to the Chromosome Browser like in the past.

When I do an "in common with" matches search for a match I am unable to add any of those matches to the chromosome browser.
      Last edited by Tenn4ever; 7 July 2016, 11:28 AM. Reason: For clarification

Comment

I my screen, feeding multiple people into the chromosome browser works fine. Within the Matches menu, you must highlight the targets by clicking on the check mark button at the left of each name. On my screen, using "Chrome", the match then turns a yellow shade. Then you click the "chromosome browser" button at the top of the screen. There is still the 5 person maximum rule.

Comment

I have the same problem after I have done an In Common With.

After generating an ICW list, I can not select anybody for anything, such as Chromosome Browser.

Nor can I do an ICW on an ICW list, like we could do in the previous format.

I think this needs to be fixed. Hopefully FTDNA agrees.

Or maybe it will just start working correctly. I have noticed the new format to be a bit unstable, as some features (Sort for instance) come and go.

Comment

A little further testing shows that you can feed into the chromosome browser if your setting is all matches. Once you invoke the "in common with" filter, you seem to lose the ability to check any matches for feeding through. That is a step backward from what the old system did.

Comment

I find the whole thing an absolutely frustrating mess! An why does it take everything so long to load??? Don't they know people pay for high speed access because they don't like to sit around waiting for web pages to load?

And why wait 3 times for pages to load to see new matches?

The sort on match date should give you your newest matches first.

The sort on segment length should give you longest segments first, not the shortest!

I used to click on a matches profile in order to see surnames in alphabetical order, without the silly soundex matching, copy and paste that list. Now it's soundex in the profile too, and no punctuation between surnames when you paste them.

Comment

Sorting

I think it's safe to assume that the user would like a descending sort when clicking on Match Date, Relationship Range, Shared Centimorgans, or Longest Block. Unless the user clicks on the same column as the current sort, which means the user wants to reverse the sort.

I hope FTDNA changes the default sort from ascending to descending for these columns soon. Given how long it takes to refresh the display, it's an inconvenience to have to click twice to get a descending sort.

Overall, this looks like a big improvement once the bugs are worked out. I really like how a linked first cousin can be used to assign paternal or maternal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                  The CSV download has cM out to 9 (!) decimal places in some cases. I assume they are doing some sort of interpolation that involves division. I think one decimal place is quite adequate.

It used to show cM to two decimal places.
                  I also do not like that it is now rounded to the closest whole number. (I did check - it is rounding, not truncating).

Glad to hear decimal places appear in the CVS download.
                  Definitely disagree on idea that only one decimal place is adequate - tho not sure 9 places is necessary. What do others think about that?

Comment

One change I majorly like - Relationship Range is now shown even when there is a "Known Relationship".

I had stopped entering and confirming Relationships because Range disappeared when "Known Relationship" was shown.

Comment

BUG - any suggestions would be appreciated. And others might look to see if they have any similar issues.

I manage several Kits, so I have checked this out from several places. One of the Kits fails to show/be retrieved when its name is entered in "Search" -- I have tried the full last name, the first three letters of the last name, the last three letters [it is first initial, last name - have even tried First Initial - still not pulled] -- at least for first three letters this is true from my Kit, from my Cousin's Kit, from its First Cousin's Kit(do not think I tried all combinations from all of them) -- I can see it there on all three in Show All Matches -- but search by Name, and it cannot be found.
                      We share the first three letters of last name - and from my Cousin's Kit and his Cousin's Kit, entering those pulls up my Kit and others - but NOT that Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                        Glad to hear decimal places appear in the CVS download. Definitely disagree on idea that only one decimal place is adequate - tho not sure 9 places is necessary. What do others think about that?
                        I would prefer 2 decimal spaces. There is enough room in the current format to display the cM as it was before.

Comment

Couple of things I don't like: 1. When you do a search , and get for example 3 matches, it's impossible to get back to all your matches without refreshing the page. 2. When using search name or ancestral surname it is not possible to get geographical matches . You used to be able to do that with the old format.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                            Glad to hear decimal places appear in the CVS download.

Definitely disagree on idea that only one decimal place is adequate - tho not sure 9 places is necessary. What do others think about that?
                            Well, I wouldn't quarrel about two decimal points but the underlying lookup tables for cM distances aren't really that precise. The cM is an empirical measure, which can vary somewhat depending on the dataset used to develop it. See for example the two curves for Icelandic and CEPH samples:

http://web.archive.org/web/200701130...ps/compare.pdf

I was just thinking the other day that the genetic genealogy companies have mounds of data that could be used to refine the lookup tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                              Unable to figure out how to add five matches from the "in common with" matches page to the Chromosome Browser like in the past.

When I do an "in common with" matches search for a match I am unable to add any of those matches to the chromosome browser.
                              I understand your frustration.

A known 2C1R has popped up as match in the past few hours (Batch 681 I think, so I wasn't expecting it for another week or two) and I'm itching to do this. Hopefully they'll be uploaded to Gedmatch soon.

Comment

If anyone wants to see their cM segments to two decimal places, they just need to check the Chromosome browser. Mouse over the segments or look at Table View.

But really, .01 cM has no practical meaning.

Comment

Working...
                                X