Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Finder is not showing a match between me and my son. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder is not showing a match between me and my son. Help!

Hello,

I ordered two test kits for the "Family Finder", because I thought it might be fun for my son (who is 15) and I (his father) to explore. However, the results are not what I expected.

I logged into both test kit accounts, and set them up so they will show all matches. (Maybe someone can verify exactly what settings are needed so I can be sure I did it correctly?)

The problem is that the Family Finder "Match" results do not show my son or me as a match for each other.

In my account, it shows no Parent/Child relationship. Furthermore… in my son's account, it shows someone else as having a Parent/Child relationship. (Someone who we've never heard of before…) I've attached a screenshot of this match result to this post.

Shared cM: 3384.30
    Longest Block: 267.21
    X-Match: Yes

When I go to "Family Finder - Chromosome Browser" in my son's account, I filtered by "Immediate Relatives", selected the mystery person with the Parent/Child relationship, and it shows "Shared Segments: 22" for this person. Almost the whole results are covered by orange color.

I'm not sure what to do now, and I would appreciate any help. Do these results mean my son is not my biological child, since we did not "match"? What does it mean that someone else is listed as a "Parent/Child" relationship? Should I ask FamilyTree to redo our test kits? Should I purchase new test kits from a different company to confirm these results? (If so, which one?) Should I purchase the Y-DNA test for me and my son from FamilyTree to test paternal stuff?

Thanks very much for any help.

NOTE: And it's worth noting that when I told my wife about this, she swears to God that she did not cheat on me. And she's not stupid.. she knows that DNA testing will ultimately reveal any lie, and she was the one who actually suggested we do the testing! So I really don't understand why someone else would be listed as parent/child in my son's results.

But.. that being said… don't worry.. no matter what I discover, he will always be my son and I will always be his father. I just want to figure this out so that I can prepare my response if he is not my biological child, before he finds out some other way or on his own. He's waiting to hear when the DNA testing results are in, so I can't hide this from him since he's going to ask what is going on..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hstraf; 8 March 2015, 10:58 AM.

This is a continuing glitch by FTDNA and why they haven't corrected it is beyond me!!!!! What most likely happened and what FTDNA continues to sometimes do is to accidentally load a person's data not only in their account but somebody else's as well. To double check in your son's account run the "In common With" feature on your son's account with their close match. Are all your son's matches also (or virtually all) the same as this other's person's as well? If the match lists of your son's and this other person's are identical then that means some other person's data was accidentally loaded into your son's account. This has been going on for over a year at FTDNA and they don't fix it or make corrections to prevent it from happening (are they asking for lawsuits?). Please bring it to Darren the moderator's attention. As there is somebody else on Facebook with the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by travers View Post
      To double check in your son's account run the "In common With" feature on your son's account with their close match. Are all your son's matches also (or virtually all) the same as this other's person's as well? If the match lists of your son's and this other person's are identical then that means some other person's data was accidentally loaded into your son's account.
      Yes, when I click the "In common with" link, it shows all the same for this other person.

So this means that someone else's data is showing in my son's results?

Does it also mean that my son's results are missing, then? Because he isn't showing up in my own results, either...

Originally posted by travers View Post
      This has been going on for over a year at FTDNA and they don't fix it or make corrections to prevent it from happening (are they asking for lawsuits?). Please bring it to Darren the moderator's attention.
      How do I contact the moderator? Should I click the "report a post" link?

This is certainly frustrating, and if what you describe is the reason for this.. then there would be no chance of me ever recommending FamilyTree DNA testing to anyone. I have a bunch of relatives who are interested in what we're doing, and so far... my thoughts of FamilyTree are below negative. Not good.
      Last edited by hstraf; 8 March 2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hstraf View Post
        Yes, when I click the "In common with" link, it shows all the same for this other person.

Does it also mean that my son's results are missing, then? Because he isn't showing up in my own results, either...

This is certainly frustrating, and if what you describe is the reason for this.. then there would be no chance of me ever recommending FamilyTree DNA testing to anyone. I have a bunch of relatives who are interested in what we're doing, and so far... my thoughts of FamilyTree are below negative. Not good.
        I think that this is a genuine mistake. You should phone them.

Comment

Yes your son has somebody else's data. You can email customer support but it will take over a week for them to read your message or you can call FTDNA tomorrow during business hours. But you should PM Darren the moderator too, hopefully he will bring it to IT's attention:
          http://forums.familytreedna.com/priv...o=newpm&u=9333

Comment

As the others suggested, phone FTDNA Support and state that it appears that someone's else data were loaded into your son's account.

If possible, try making the phone call right after the lines are open, as sometimes it takes a long time to get through.

+1-713-868-1438 starting at 9 AM, Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

As suggested above, send also a Private Message to the user Darren
            http://forums.familytreedna.com/priv...o=newpm&u=9333

It is my guess, that due to the way the Family Finder data is loaded/processed, the correct data might take days to appear.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
            That (wrong data loaded) should not be happening...

Comment

Just a quick update that this problem is still not resolved by FTDNA.

These jokers are really not very professional, are they? Their actions prove to me they are not interested in addressing this problem. I will never recommend them for DNA testing of any sort to anyone.

They are unreliable, and if you can't have 100% trust in the company that gives your DNA test results... well... pick a different company.

Comment

If you are interested to verify what possibly happened with your son's DNA data, create a gedmatch.com account. Upload your son's and your raw DNA data to gedmatch. When the kits are tokenized, goto 'One-to-many' matches. Input your kit number, click on display results. Your son's name should be right on top of your list. If he is, then FTDNA has the right DNA of your sons but swapped his cousin matches with someone else's. If your son is not on top of your list, go back to 'One-to-many' and input your son's kit number. He should have total different matches, this would confirm FTDNA swapped his DNA with someone else's.
                Last edited by Հայկո; 4 April 2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Հայկո View Post
                  If you are interested to verify what possibly happened with your son's DNA data, create a gedmatch.com account. Upload your son's and your raw DNA data to gedmatch. When the kits are tokenized, goto 'One-to-many' matches. Input your kit number, click on display results. Your son's name should be right on top of your list. If he is, then FTDNA has the right DNA of your sons but swapped his cousin matches with someone else's. If your son is not on top of your list, go back to 'One-to-many' and input your son's kit number. He should have total different matches, this would confirm FTDNA swapped his DNA with someone else's.
                  The cousin matches weren't swapped the raw data was.

Comment

These jokers are really not very professional, are they? Their actions prove to me they are not interested in addressing this problem. I will never recommend them for DNA testing of any sort to anyone.

They are unreliable, and if you can't have 100% trust in the company that gives your DNA test results... well... pick a different company.

Sorry to hear this. I've been with FTDNA for 6 years and usually they are very reliable. I must say they have been dropping the ball a lot the past year. It is sad to see, I'm not sure what is going on.

Comment

Was the issue acknowledged by FTDNA Support and not subsequently fixed ?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

hstraf,

Do you have a helpdesk issue or anything that I can follow up on?

-Darren
                        Family Tree DNA

Comment

I have just looked back at the original message in this thread and noticed that on the image attached it stated that the mystery person was an 'x match' to the poster's son. How can this be? Fathers don't share any x chromosome with their sons...so am I right in saying this must be the DNA of his mother or at least a relative on the maternal side? Or perhaps this was not a photographic image of the actual match?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            I have just looked back at the original message in this thread and noticed that on the image attached it stated that the mystery person was an 'x match' to the poster's son. How can this be? Fathers don't share any x chromosome with their sons...so am I right in saying this must be the DNA of his mother or at least a relative on the maternal side? Or perhaps this was not a photographic image of the actual match?
                            Somebody else's data was posted in his son's account, therefore this other person matched completely identical including the X of course as the two accounts had the same data. Unlike 23andme and Gedmatch FTDNA's matching system can't distinguish half identical segments from fully identical segments so the other person was classified as a parent to this man's son.

Comment

Oh right, I get it now, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X