Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming relationship through DNA for Ashkenazim

Hi,
    I recently found in a book about Rabbis from Galicia that the Grandfather of my grandfather might be a grandson of a famous rabbi in Galicia.
    I looked at my grandfather FF matches and found a match who also claim to decend from the same rabbi.
    If the connection is true then it would make the match a 4th causin of my grandfather.

FF predicts them as 2nd-4th causins with longest segments lengths of: 23.53, 10.28, 8.73, 6.72.
    total shared 120cM.

This amount of shared DNA is not uncommon between Ashkenazim and actually my grandfather has many matches which are better.

My question is, how can i use this DNA match to confirm or to reject this connection?

Thanks allot
    Oshri

Find a 3rd person sharing that same segment who also claims descent from that Rabbi. Sorry, that's the only way.

Originally posted by Oshri View Post
    Hi,
    I recently found in a book about Rabbis from Galicia that the Grandfather of my grandfather might be a grandson of a famous rabbi in Galicia.
    I looked at my grandfather FF matches and found a match who also claim to decend from the same rabbi.
    If the connection is true then it would make the match a 4th causin of my grandfather.

FF predicts them as 2nd-4th causins with longest segments lengths of: 23.53, 10.28, 8.73, 6.72.
    total shared 120cM.

This amount of shared DNA is not uncommon between Ashkenazim and actually my grandfather has many matches which are better.

My question is, how can i use this DNA match to confirm or to reject this connection?

Thanks allot
    Oshri

Comment

Working...
    X